android geocaching application

hi everyone.. Merry christmas and God bless you all. I am very motivated to start learning how to do geocache. The only issue is that i went today to bestbuy to check the gps and i saw the garmin etrex 20. I thought was more bigger the screen. On the other side I was reading about geocaching applicaton for droid and I can see the locations bigger. Which way I should go? If I pay 9.99 for the geocaching application, I have the same acces for premium members?

Im kind of confuse. I dont want to spend money on a gps if I can get the same thing on my cel? or anybody has any opinion?

thanks

jose

Jose, if I were you, I'd just buy the app and see if you like geocaching before spending a lot of money on a gps. You don't need to get premium member status right away anyway.

I'm an iPhone user, but I cache with droid folks as well. All of my finds have been with my smartphone so it IS possible to cache only with your phone, and for some of us, preferable!

Jose, if I were you, I'd just buy the app and see if you like geocaching before spending a lot of money on a gps. You don't need to get premium member status right away anyway.

I'm an iPhone user, but I cache with droid folks as well. All of my finds have been with my smartphone so it IS possible to cache only with your phone, and for some of us, preferable!

im a new cacher.. Tugies got me into it while she was on my tour bus afew months ago. but since then ive paid for the app on my Droid phones, and also a permium membership.

no need to buy a GPS if you have a decent smart phone and plan only to do caches in phone signaled areas.

i have almost 40 caches to my name at this stage all done with my phone. ive found no real problem doing it this way. but when im out of phone signal like i often am for work ( out back tour guide) i cant cache.. im yet to work out how to down load pocket quereies to my droid device and save as offline points.

so you can cache comfortably in metro areas that your phone carrier has coverage. a dedicated GPS will be handy for the further out ones out of phone coverage.

hi everyone.. Merry christmas and God bless you all. I am very motivated to start learning how to do geocache. The only issue is that i went today to bestbuy to check the gps and i saw the garmin etrex 20. I thought was more bigger the screen. On the other side I was reading about geocaching applicaton for droid and I can see the locations bigger. Which way I should go? If I pay 9.99 for the geocaching application, I have the same acces for premium members?

Im kind of confuse. I dont want to spend money on a gps if I can get the same thing on my cel? or anybody has any opinion?

thanks

jose

To answer the one question buried in there, the Application is only a tool. You will be able to see what basic members see if that is the access you have. If you purchase a Premium Membership the features of that membership will be available on the app as well.

In short, the app is niot a replacement ofr the PM, it is a supplement. Before you ask, no, the app is not included with the Premium Membership.

Adit: There are some free alternatives to get your feet wet in the MarketPlace, simply search on Geocache or Geocaching.

Edited by baloo&bd

The phone works fine when services to it are available but there are some things to think about.

1. Caching in an area w/o 3G service. I spend quite a bit of time in that environment so the phone wouldn't work.

2. Battery life. I am often out for 7-9 hours. Phone batteries don't last that long when using the gps (it chews them up pretty good).

3. Ruggedness is a factor since when out hiking or biking they get jostled around and even dropped a few times. Phones can't take the abus

So.

4. Touch screen devices often are have visibility issues in the sunlight.

If you are going to start in a metro with limited time out between charges get the app to see how you like the hobby.

The phone works fine when services to it are available but there are some things to think about.

1. Caching in an area w/o 3G service. I spend quite a bit of time in that environment so the phone wouldn't work.

2. Battery life. I am often out for 7-9 hours. Phone batteries don't last that long when using the gps (it chews them up pretty good).

3. Ruggedness is a factor since when out hiking or biking they get jostled around and even dropped a few times. Phones can't take the abus

So.

1. Phones do work fine out of signal area (certainly android do cant say for iphones), either via PQs, or if not available to you for whatever reason, spend a bit of down time in a serviced area (I used to use our local pub with free wifi :rolleyes: ) saving individual caches for offline use. It does take a while (a few pints/visits) but eventually I had about 150 caches in my immediate area saved for future use offline. Just takes a bit of planning (extra trips to the pub) if you intend to visit a new area. I keep trying to convince my caching buddy to do this but we always have delays while she wanders around trying to get a data signal.

2. Depending on the app you use, use the screen lock in between viewing the navigation page, this makes my battery last at least twice as long. And get a spare, or two, mine was £2.99. Far cheaper than a handheld.

3. Lots of people bring this issue up and I realise I cache on the completely unrugged East Anglian coast, UK. I have never seen this to much of an issue when you have a decent case. My only fear is dropping it in water but even a handheld gps would sink if I dropped it in a river I think.

4. My SGS is absolutely fine so I guess it depends on the phone.

So.

If you are going to start in a metro with limited time out between charges get the app to see how you like the hobby.

1. I run my iPhone app off of PQs in wooded areas all the time. In fact, I'd venture to say I cache probably 90% of the time with the 3G OFF and solely run it offline via PQs. The app runs just fine. In fact, the app behaves *better* off-line. I'm sure the droid behaves the same way.

2. I frequently, if not mostly cache all day in the mountains with just my iPhone. In fact, this is why I turn 3G off. I usually start at the trailhead in the early am, cache all day (usually 8 hrs) and head back. I carry a spare battery (which will double this time) but I won't use it unless necessary just in case I get lost.

3. Ive dropped my phone more times than I can count. On rocks, in mud...I even slid down a mountainside and the end piece filled with mud!! The phone is more durable than you think. I have a basic cover for it, but I don't have a screen protector. Yes, a dedicated gps is far more durable, but phones are fine.

4. Never had much of a problem with the screen. Back is Az where ite full sun all the time it was more of an issue. Nothing that a slight movement of my hand couldn't fix.

So, spending $10 on an app is still more preferable than investing in a gps for newbies.

hi: thanks for the info. i have a droid x.. i will try to buy the app for the droid to see how that works

merry christmas

jose

im a new cacher.. Tugies got me into it while she was on my tour bus afew months ago. but since then ive paid for the app on my Droid phones, and also a permium membership.

no need to buy a GPS if you have a decent smart phone and plan only to do caches in phone signaled areas.

i have almost 40 caches to my name at this stage all done with my phone. ive found no real problem doing it this way. but when im out of phone signal like i often am for work ( out back tour guide) i cant cache.. im yet to work out how to down load pocket quereies to my droid device and save as offline points.

so you can cache comfortably in metro areas that your phone carrier has coverage. a dedicated GPS will be handy for the further out ones out of phone coverage.

hi:

thats a good point, no signal, battery.. then, what you recommend? I need a gps with a bigger screen than regular gps... screen like the droid...

thanks

jose

So.

1. I run my iPhone app off of PQs in wooded areas all the time. In fact, I'd venture to say I cache probably 90% of the time with the 3G OFF and solely run it offline via PQs. The app runs just fine. In fact, the app behaves *better* off-line. I'm sure the droid behaves the same way.

2. I frequently, if not mostly cache all day in the mountains with just my iPhone. In fact, this is why I turn 3G off. I usually start at the trailhead in the early am, cache all day (usually 8 hrs) and head back. I carry a spare battery (which will double this time) but I won't use it unless necessary just in case I get lost.

3. Ive dropped my phone more times than I can count. On rocks, in mud...I even slid down a mountainside and the end piece filled with mud!! The phone is more durable than you think. I have a basic cover for it, but I don't have a screen protector. Yes, a dedicated gps is far more durable, but phones are fine.

4. Never had much of a problem with the screen. Back is Az where ite full sun all the time it was more of an issue. Nothing that a slight movement of my hand couldn't fix.

So, spending $10 on an app is still more preferable than investing in a gps for newbies.

thanks

thanks

jose

To answer the one question buried in there, the Application is only a tool. You will be able to see what basic members see if that is the access you have. If you purchase a Premium Membership the features of that membership will be available on the app as well.

In short, the app is niot a replacement ofr the PM, it is a supplement. Before you ask, no, the app is not included with the Premium Membership.

Adit: There are some free alternatives to get your feet wet in the MarketPlace, simply search on Geocache or Geocaching.

thanks

jose

hi:

when u said there are some free alternatives... what do you mean?

thanks

jose

hi:

when u said there are some free alternatives... what do you mean?

thanks

jose

Do a search in the MarketPlace for "Geocaching". Many will present themselves. c:geo seems to be the most popular.

thanks

jose

I think you've had a lot of good replies. If you download a caching app (which you can get for nothing) you can find a few caches with your phone and decide if you like the game. If you like it, stump up the $30 for a premium membership and decide whether a dedicated GPS will improve your caching experience.

Personally I like having a dedicated GPS because the batteries last way longer than my phone, it's waterproof, and tougher than my phone. That said the phone lets me see caches that went live since I last downloaded my cache list, lets me log finds right there and then, and so on (assuming, of course, I'm in an area with data coverage).

For urban caches the phone may work just fine. It also has the advantage in an urban setting that if you need to look inconspicuous you just put the phone to your ear and make a call with it (it's hard to pull that one with a chunky GPS!). If you want to dash out and grab a cache or two in your lunch break you don't need to take a GPS to work.

For rural/remote areas you'll probably appreciate the longer battery life and the ruggedness of a dedicated GPS. Even if you have signal it's good to keep your phone batteries well charged in case you need to make an emergency phone call.