Pocket Query Problem

DenaliNW

I have a query set up for the caches in my area, with its center at my home coordinates to be delivered twice a week. I am regularly getting these, but have noticed over the last week, that there are caches not showing up in this query. I know that it works out from the starting point, and then stops when it reaches the limit you've set - 425 for me. The caches not showing up are all the closest to my home. They are all relatively new, placed within the last two to three weeks. Any reason why these are not showing up?

The caches are there, and have not been archived. Certainly they can be found manually, but I like to load all the pages into my PDA and my GPS at the beginning of the week, and right before the weekend. This way, I simply go when I want, without having to sit down at the computer and wade through cache pages and print outs. Since I've been doing this, I spend less and less time in front of the computer on the web page. I really only get on any more to log finds, and check the local forum threads. It would be nice therefore to see all these new caches in my pocket query where they should be anyway.

I was not telling you how to get around the problem, but trying to lead you through diagnosing it.

Are they caches you've found, and your query is looking for caches you've not found?

Or is some other filter ignoring those caches?

DustyJacket

Not all those that wander are lost. But in my case... icon_biggrin.gif

Actually, I think I've found the problem. The caches seem to be getting dropped as I run them through Spinner. When I look at the original GPX file in Wathcer the caches show up. I can't open the file created by Spinner in Watcher, and will need to upload the spun GPX file into my GPS when I get home. They are definitely not showing up in the PDA though.

Can you give an example of these caches that are not getting included?

If you look at the cache pages using a browser on your computer, do the caches show up?

I'm guessing its a problem with Plucker, since its notorious for choking on bad HTML.

Lil Devil lildevil.gif

quote:
I'm guessing its a problem with Plucker, since its notorious for choking on bad HTML.

It could be because I was using the web version of spinner. (Though I'm just guessing, and hardly qualify in any technical sense to know why something works and doesn't work). icon_smile.gif I don't know if you remember, but a few months back when the new version came out, I had trouble getting it to work on my computer. It would lock up right after it had parsed the file. I just gave up rather than trying to figure out why, and kept using what worked. I reloaded the new version today, and my system didn't lock up, and everything came out as it should.

And now that it is working, let me say again how much I love spinner, and the ability to cache without all that paper. icon_biggrin.gif

quote:
If you look at the cache pages using a browser on your computer, do the caches show up?

To answer your question a little more directly ... Again, I was using the online version of spinner, and just checked the html through my browser. The cache pages don't show up there either. They do apparently show up in the spun gpx file, but not in the html. I did notice that as it began to spin the file the following type of stuff showed up - "Data outside latin1 range (pos=17942, ch=U+201c) at (eval 3) line 225. Data outside latin1 range (pos=17947, ch=U+201d)" There was lines and lines of this stuff before you got down to GPXSPinner title. Hope that helps explain things a little bit more.

quote:
Originally posted by DenaliNW:

quote:
Sounds like you, too, are being munched by this problem

Could this issue also cause difficulties in uploading the data into a mysql table?

As long as this site continues to belch up illegal XML in the pocket query results, I'd expect variations of this problem to be exposed in anything that reads it and expects legal input.

quote:
Originally posted by LilDevil:

Can you give an example of these caches that are not getting included?

First let me say that your program, GPX Spinner, is incredible. I was out looking for a cache today, GCCC6E and was having some trouble finding it so I decided to look at my Palm Pilot for some hints. I couldn't find it listed! After getting back home and doing some checking, I noticed that in the HTML file, it's listed as MCCC6E instead of G. Any idea why this happened?

Thanks again for such a wonderful program.

Robert