How do you FIND geocoins?

OregonK9

Hello,

I'm still a rank newbie, having only 48 finds under my belt. I am desperate to find a geocoin! I keep hoping one will turn up, but usually the cache only contains plastic toys, stickers, etc...I was excited to finally find a travelbug and now I've actually found two of them!

Is there a trick to finding coins or knowing when there is a new cache hidden in your area that has a coin? I guess an answer to this question would also be the answer to how do become a "First to Find?" How do people know a cache has been hidden almost as soon as it's published? I'm always late by the time I get the Geocache.com newsletter that arrives in my mailbox on Thursdays. It's as if there must be some other way to keep on top of newly hidden caches?? Some that contain geocoins???

My name is Kris and my caching name is OregonK9. Partly because I'm from Oregon and because I take my awesome dog with me on all my geocaching trips. I've been bitten by the bug and I wish I could cache everyday. I love the search!!!

Thanks!http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/public/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif

Hello,

I'm still a rank newbie, having only 48 finds under my belt. I am desperate to find a geocoin! I keep hoping one will turn up, but usually the cache only contains plastic toys, stickers, etc...I was excited to finally find a travelbug and now I've actually found two of them!

Is there a trick to finding coins or knowing when there is a new cache hidden in your area that has a coin? I guess an answer to this question would also be the answer to how do become a "First to Find?" How do people know a cache has been hidden almost as soon as it's published? I'm always late by the time I get the Geocache.com newsletter that arrives in my mailbox on Thursdays. It's as if there must be some other way to keep on top of newly hidden caches?? Some that contain geocoins???

My name is Kris and my caching name is OregonK9. Partly because I'm from Oregon and because I take my awesome dog with me on all my geocaching trips. I've been bitten by the bug and I wish I could cache everyday. I love the search!!!

Thanks!http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/public/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif

You may be in an area where people steal geocoins. I live in Pittsburgh, and my experience is that many caches have them and the caches that I own have them regularly pass through. I would suggest that you look for larger caches in places far from well traveled areas. My observation is that the more remote caches have much better swag.

In answer to your question about how cachers know about new caches...as a premium member, you can set up notifications so that you receive an email any time a cache is published in the area in which you are interested. On your profile page, go down the list on the right side to "Set Up Notifications." It's pretty self-explanatory as you go through the set up...you will select the area you want notifcations for (like your home coordinates), what type of nofications you want (i.e., newly published, etc.) then how far out around that area you want to know about and how you want to get notified (i.e., email). You have to set these up for each type of cache you want to know about (i.e., traditional, unknown, event, etc.).

Once you set up your notifications, you too will get an email any time a new cache is published that falls within the area you have set.

This is a great function for the FTF hunt in your hometown, and also useful if you are traveling to another area and want to know about new caches there! You can set up a number of different notifications and just check the boxes next to the ones you want enabled.

As for your question about geocoins...sadly, many of them do go missing. Any cache that supposedly has a trackable in it will have a little icon next to it on the list of caches and also will show in the cache inventory on the cache page. Don't be disappointed if you find that the trackables that are listed are often not in the caches. It happens, sadly, when people forget to log them, or log them improperly, or steal them, or drop them in their backpack and then forget about them. You might try looking for TB Hotels, which sometimes have a number of trackables in them, but are also (sadly) subject to frequent muggling. On the other hand, when you finally find a geocoin in a cache, it gives you a great rush! And you will find one...just be patient! Happy Caching! :grin:

Aah, Grasshopper.... two days with GPSr you are, yes, and all the mysteries of the universe you must already know. Young grasshopper on wobbly legs must first stand, yes.... before jump he can. Patience a big virtue is. Much will be revealed when ready you are. Much reading Trackables Page he must do, and Premium Membership inquire about. Much know how about good caches too he must gather. When wisdom strikes FTFs arrive they will.

:ph34r::rolleyes:

Edited by Droo

Aah, Grasshopper.... two days with GPSr you are, yes, and all the mysteries of the universe you must already know. Young grasshopper on wobbly legs must first stand, yes.... before jump he can. Patience a big virtue is. Much will be revealed when ready you are. Much reading Trackables Page he must do, and Premium Membership inquire about. Much know how about good caches too he must gather. When wisdom strikes FTFs arrive they will.

Funny Droo!

Wobbly legs getting stronger...will work on the "patience is a virtue" sentiment. In the meantime, I'll be off to do a FTF thanks to the pointers on notifications I received from Steben6. :P

as a premium member, you may do pocket queries

one of the selectable attributes is "contains trackable(s)"

all of the other filters apply

so (for example) you can request a list of small geocaches, that you have already found, with a terrain rating no greater than three, that is within ten miles of your home coordinates, and that has trackables listed in it's inventory

enjoy

New caches often have a good amount of traffic and therefore a geocoin or travel bug will pass through them, but older caches (especially larger ones) may also have a geocoin or travel bug. Keep caching and you are sure to encounter them. Check on the listing to see if there should be one there, but don't get your hopes too high -- often they are not in the cache even when they are listed there.

Mixing up your Yoda and Master Po you are....:)