"Discovering" TBs and geocoins remotely?

The Spider

So I've noticed that, at Event caches, people often bring whole collections of geocoins and travel bugs and sit there for 30 minutes looking at each one and taking down the tracking codes so that they can report that they discovered the coin/bug and up their tallies. I've also noticed that some people type up a list of the tracking codes for all the bugs and coins they brought and distribute those lists to attendees at the events, to make it easier on all, and that many people take the lists but don't even look at the coins and bugs themselves.

AND, I've been seeing a bunch of challenge caches throughout the country based upon having already found or discovered a certain number of geocoins/travel bugs.

So I got to wondering...is there a safe way to swap travel bug and geocoins numbers online? For instance, I live in Florida. Suppose I have thirty TB's and geocoins. Someone in California has same, but I'm never going to see them otherwise. Is there a way to swap these numbers just as one does at an event cache, for the purpose of discovering them? I understand that we're not supposed to publish the numbers online as people could remotely move the coins and bugs and create havoc for the actual physical object itself. But couldn't individual cachers swap this information? Fax scans of the numbers and/or bug/coins to each other? Scan-and-send-to-one-person and then delete after getting the info? Share numbers over the phone? Have a two-person skype event and show the bugs to each other there?

Would this be busting the spirit of the discovery process? If so, why isn't it wrong to do list swapping at actual events?

Is list swapping bad unless you've seen the object too?

I'd love to be able to remotely see a lot of other TBs and geocoins and then be able to claim some of those challenge caches, but I also don't want to break any informal geocaching ethics rules. I'd love to see an intellectual-like discussion of the above and see what people think on both sides of the various fences......!

So I've noticed that, at Event caches, people often bring whole collections of geocoins and travel bugs and sit there for 30 minutes looking at each one and taking down the tracking codes so that they can report that they discovered the coin/bug and up their tallies. I've also noticed that some people type up a list of the tracking codes for all the bugs and coins they brought and distribute those lists to attendees at the events, to make it easier on all, and that many people take the lists but don't even look at the coins and bugs themselves.

It sounds like you have attended a lot of events, yet this account that you're posting under was only created today. It hasn't been used to post any cache finds, or "attended" logs of events.

Edited by Pup Patrol

Would this be busting the spirit of the discovery process? If so, why isn't it wrong to do list swapping at actual events?

Is list swapping bad unless you've seen the object too?

You also have the option to 'Discover' a Travel Bug under the 'Found it? Log it!' menu. This log type is used when you see a Travel Bug in person, but are not planning to move it to another geocache.

http://www.geocaching.com/track/howto.aspx

not to mention that providing the tracking numbers to those that haven't actually seen for the purpose of logging them could get that trackable locked

Edited by t4e

Why would someone join today, log no finds or hides, have a blank statistics page and ask an in depth question about circumventing rules of trackables? That's weird...

...or maybe, YOURE A SOCK PUPPET!!! Admit it sock puppet. You made an account just to ask that single question and didn't bother to tell anyone your real name!!! You are lying to us, RIGHT???

TELL US!!! ADMIT IT!!!

...seriously, you can tell just me...

Edited because this is America and I am free to do what ever I want because I'm not a lying sock puppet.

Edited by GeotaggedBloger