[BUG] Exploding cache page logs

Harry Dolphin

When I go to read recent logs on a cache page, suddenly the whole thing explodes, and I have to page up to find the log I was reading. It used to be that five logs would appear. If I wanted to read more than five, I'd hit the button. Now it just exlodes in my face. Don't ever try to page down to the bottom of the page to use the resources there (like Find a Nearby Benchmark). That could take forever on a page with hundreds of finds.

Please restore this feature to the 'five logs at a time' feature.

Yeah, I'm having a lot of trouble figuring out the Dolphin's complaint too. Exactly when does the log you are reading move off the viewport? I haven't seen that happen. "Find all nearby benchmarks" is above the logs, and I don't remember there ever being any links below the logs except the one to view them all, and there's no longer a need for it, so you never need to page all the way to the end just to find some link. (Are you by any chance using IE4?)

In the version released Tuesday, the most recent 25 logs are preloaded, so in many cases you get any logs you need without waiting for them to load.

Personally I love it. I can look at all the logs I want without waiting for a full page load. I can look at the last six logs of a cache with a thousand logs without incurring the overhead of listing them all. The only thing missing to me is an easy way to locate a particular log: by a certain cacher, from a certain date, or the publication log. This could be addressed by a search function, or by having a button to load all logs. For the 1% of us who would use it, the load all logs is probably simpler.

Edward

When I go to read recent logs on a cache page, suddenly the whole thing explodes, and I have to page up to find the log I was reading. It used to be that five logs would appear. If I wanted to read more than five, I'd hit the button. Now it just exlodes in my face. Don't ever try to page down to the bottom of the page to use the resources there (like Find a Nearby Benchmark). That could take forever on a page with hundreds of finds.

Please restore this feature to the 'five logs at a time' feature.

It sounds to me like you are two releases back. That was when the got rid of the "View All Logs" link, and added the scrolling display of all logs, but that first version was very slow. The next release speeded up loading of the logs to almost real-time. I don't believe there has been any change to the way the logs display in this November release.

I don't believe there has been any change to the way the logs display in this November release.

I'm not completely certain, but I *think* that last month the logs only started loading when you paged (or scrolled) down. You could open the cache page and hit End and you'd see the end of the description with no logs. If you do that today, you'll see the 25th log at the bottom of the page (by my quick count). But in any case, yes, it's definitely faster now than it was last week.

Edward

I've notice this too, but I think it's more a matter of 'Don't like the way it's loading more logs' than a true 'bug'.

I will say it does bug me from time to time.

I think Mr. Dolphin would prefer the trigger point for more logs to be loaded to be moved down the page...all the way to the bottom of the page...and made into a button to be clicked IF he wanted to see more logs.

I tend to agree.

Sounds like it's about using the mouse to move down the scroll bar of the browser to go down in the page. Because when you do that, the scroll bar's relative position to the page will suddenly change when more logs are loaded, as the page gets longer. Then the page will make a jump, because you mouse is still on the scroll bar and is moving it around. No problem for me personally as I mostly use the page-down key or the scroll wheel of my mouse.

Edited by dfx