Ammo boxes being stolen?

stpalmer

Well think about the current attitude/emotion today. I'm talking 911. It occurred to me that if someone NOT a Geocacher found it they may freak. Call it into the police or some other first responder agency. If you wanted to you probably could put a dirty bomb or a chemical weapon in one especially a 50 cal or bigger can. It wouldn't matter what you had on it then. I'M half surprised they haven't been discouraged.

Plus the price on the dadgum thing has really gone up.

For while in the UK Ammo Boxes would 'disappear'.

The answer seems to be not mention it's an Ammo Box in the cache listing, and not mark it as a 'Large sized' cache.

And watch the logs, in case someone mentions it's an ammo box...

Or only use Ammo Boxes for difficult D/T or Unknown/Puzzle caches...

If someone is stealing them, it means they have to actually go to the cache to find if it is an Ammo Box or not.

Yea I'm sure there is a group joining just so they can steel the better caches. Some Jerk is always trying to mess with people. It's human nature.

About two weeks ago I priced ammo cans at a local surplus store. $16.95 for a 30 cal.! That's insane! At those prices I can see why they go missing. Looks like I'll stick to Lock-N-Locks.

At least you have them there. we don't even have them there and it makes me want to throw up a little to think about spending the price of the can in shipping and handling.

There are now surplus stores near you? Odd.

When I started caching I could buy a 30 cal. locally for three bucks. I don't get why they have gone up as much as they have.

The doomsday people are scarfing them up for all sorts of thins. I keep a couple for ammo but that is it.

I like the lock-n-lock container but I was wondering has anybody used mason jars? I was wondering about the glass. They are cheap and all you'd have to do is paint the lid and wrap the glass.

Last time I checked glass containers were considered a no-no.

I couldn't find anything about it. I read the guidelines.

I like the lock-n-lock container but I was wondering has anybody used mason jars? I was wondering about the glass. They are cheap and all you'd have to do is paint the lid and wrap the glass.

There is nothing in the guidelines that prohibit it. Doesn't mean it's a good idea. I found one cache that used a mason jar. Well let's just say I found the shards of the broken mason jar.

There is nothing in the guidelines that prohibit it. Doesn't mean it's a good idea. I found one cache that used a mason jar. Well let's just say I found the shards of the broken mason jar.

That would have to be from vandalism as it would be on dirt. No rocks and I could put it in a can with leftover packing. I always have jelly jars, cans and packing.

But thanks for the input. Metal rusts which is good for the ecology. Plastic takes many years to break down but glass could pose a hazard to people.

Metal rusts which is good for the ecology. Plastic takes many years to break down but glass could pose a hazard to people.

As long as a cache is active, the cache owner is expected to maintain it. If a cache container is rusting and needs replaced, replace it. If a plastic container is starting to break down, replace it. If the cache is archived, it is the cache owner's responsibility to retrieve the remains and properly dispose of them.

I vote no, and a strong no, to using glass containers, no matter how carefully a cache owner tries to protect the container. Too much risk of breakage and the resultant injuries from broken glass. I can just imagine a kid cacher reaching into a "can with leftover packing" and coming out with a cut hand.

--Larry