[FEATURE] Putting line breaks in hints

W4G_SOTAGoat

Waiting for this thread to be moved....

Check out the Knowledge Books article, which will link you to:

http://www.follow-the-arrow.co.uk/resources/htmlcodes.html

Or you could do a forum search for "html coding" or something like that. Lots of links to html sites have been posted in various threads.

I've done HTML/Perl/PHP/etc for 15 years. I know what HTML tags are. The question is why doesn't it work in Hints. Hence. it is a WEBSITE question.

Hints are intended to be "light" pieces of information that provide a quick bit of help for finding the cache. They are supposed to be short and concise so that they are easy to manually decrypt and view on a variety of devices. I'm not sure that providing HTML capabilities in the hint field will help with the intended use of hints.

Hints are intended to be "light" pieces of information that provide a quick bit of help for finding the cache.

They are supposed to be short and concise so that they are easy to manually decrypt and view on a variety of devices. I'm not sure that providing HTML capabilities in the hint field will help with the intended use of hints.

I am also not sure whether html makes sense for hints as it will be abused as well. I'd like to comment, however, that the hint section for complex mystery and multi caches can be longer even though each individual hint is short and concise and is easily decryptable in the field. It is quite natural that a 10 stage cache might need a more involved hint section than a traditional.

Cezanne

It is quite natural that a 10 stage cache might need a more involved hint section than a traditional.
Agreed, but do we need anything more complicated than this?

[stage 1:] Lorem ipsum

[stage 2:] dolor sit amet

[stage 3:] consectetur

[stage 4:] adipisicing elit

[stage 5:] sed do eiusmod

[stage 6:] tempor incididunt

[stage 7:] ut labore

[stage 8:] et dolore

[stage 9:] magna aliqua

[final:] Ut enim ad minim veniam

One place where this messes things up is when you are trying to enter multi-lingual hints.

Encrypted they show up nicely:

[FIN]ogfljgösjflägjsd

[ENG]cvbcvbjhghjg

But after decryption it is:

[FIN]kiven alla[ENG]under a stone

With long hints (and maybe another language) it is tedious to find your own.

It is quite natural that a 10 stage cache might need a more involved hint section than a traditional.
Agreed, but do we need anything more complicated than this?

[stage 1:] Lorem ipsum

[stage 2:] dolor sit amet

[stage 3:] consectetur

[stage 4:] adipisicing elit

[stage 5:] sed do eiusmod

[stage 6:] tempor incididunt

[stage 7:] ut labore

[stage 8:] et dolore

[stage 9:] magna aliqua

[final:] Ut enim ad minim veniam

Apart from the fact that it can be in several languages, I do not need anything more complicated.

However, without line breaks e.g. the last line might mix with other lines.

So I think line breaks might not do harm, while general html abilities are certainly overkill.

Cezanne

Edited by cezanne

One place where this messes things up is when you are trying to enter multi-lingual hints.

Encrypted they show up nicely:

[FIN]ogfljgösjflägjsd

[ENG]cvbcvbjhghjg

But after decryption it is:

[FIN]kiven alla[ENG]under a stone

With long hints (and maybe another language) it is tedious to find your own.

I agree. While I think HTML or BBCode in hints would be nice, I can see why they are not supported.

But please fix the bug that linefeeds which are correctly shown while the hint is encrypted, are lost when it is decrypted.