GC1Y4WW Lamp post cache

mcbeefer

He says it's in the grassy "area"; he doesn't say it's in the grass.

"Area" is a word that can mean a lot of things.

My guess is that people are taking what he says too literally. I think if he meant it literally someone would have found it by now.

People are also assigning meaning to his remarks about kite string and lamp posts. He doesn't say it's at an intersection, people are assuming that.

I think for this cache at this point, all assumptions are off.

But then again, I'm just assuming that. :laughing::rolleyes:

Four lamp posts and "several hundred yards" of kite string? I don't really see any other way of interpreting it. :P

If this is indeed the case, it would almost be as easy to manually search using a grid method. There would be an intersection every few feet if you used all permutations of available lines between posts to form intersections.

I'm sure it's been tried but it seems to me that with four lamp posts and several hundred yards of string, cutting the string into two pieces then connecting each piece between two of the opposing lamp posts would create a single intersection.

Edited by NYPaddleCacher
I'm sure it's been tried but it seems to me that with four lamp posts and several hundred yards of string, cutting the string into two pieces then connecting each piece between two of the opposing lamp posts would create a single intersection.

I think the problem is that while the solution (possibly?) calls for four lamp posts, there are fourteen to choose from. So, lots of possible intersections.

Assuming that folks are even interpreting the clues correctly.

He says it's in the grassy "area"; he doesn't say it's in the grass.

"Area" is a word that can mean a lot of things.

My guess is that people are taking what he says too literally. I think if he meant it literally someone would have found it by now.

People are also assigning meaning to his remarks about kite string and lamp posts. He doesn't say it's at an intersection, people are assuming that.

I think for this cache at this point, all assumptions are off.

But then again, I'm just assuming that. :laughing::rolleyes:

Four lamp posts and "several hundred yards" of kite string? I don't really see any other way of interpreting it. :P

If this is indeed the case, it would almost be as easy to manually search using a grid method. There would be an intersection every few feet if you used all permutations of available lines between posts to form intersections.

Take a look at the cache page and the logs.

People have been very thorough in recording their logs. It has been done.

Someone even has recorded on the cache page a picture of the intersections created on the computer. Others have done it in person actually with string. They are all doing the intersection thing and no one has found the cache by doing that.

A few people have used that grid and used a metal detector. None have found it.

This makes me think that you've got to think outside the box with this one.

They've done already what it seems you're supposed to do.

What do you do when you've checked all the places to check, when looking for a cache? You expand the search.

In a puzzle cache, what do you do when you've exhausted all the methods that make sense? You think outside the box. You start in with things that aren't obvious, that didn't make sense to start.

I'm just theorizing here. I've got no inside knowledge. I read the logs on the cache page and that's it.

HOA is saying they don't want non residents in that area? I found out by someone from Texas that by Texas law they can't claim that it's theirs if there are no official signs saying it is part of the HOA. Is there signs saying it's part of the HOA there?

I attended an event on 9/3 at ground zero for the intent of a group hunt. There were no HOA signs present at that time. However, I would imagine there will be signs soon. At that point, I suspect the cache will be archived.

Wow. Almost 5 years since last post. I thought that by now at least ONE of the 148 watchers would have written something.

Lamp Post Cache

Please Discuss.

Let's see -- & I'm thinking outside the box because that is the *only* possibility left (other than a mean prank :yikes: )

(1) Have we considered whether this was mistakenly listed as a traditional when in fact it may be a virtual?!

(2) "Several hundred yards of string." Could this be an offset?!

(3) "Grassy area." The first thing that comes to mind is "Grassy Knoll." Has anyone traveled to Dallas yet?!

Now the *real* "thinking outside the box" begins! B)