Lost Train Tunnel - my first cache

Brik

Could be the music you dubbed over it, but seemed a bit creepy to me....HAHA. That being said,I love finding old forgotten things like that. I've recently taken some interest in the old train lines and stations near me. Good Luck!

mwuahahhahahha

Yeah, it IS kinda creepy but its as safe an area as any.

Thought I would share this with y'all. A video taken during my first cache placement. No spoilers it just relates the experience finding the general area before placing a cache.

I say go for it!

Talking to yourself, Brik? LOL!

Looks like a very cool find! Certainly needs a cache, but beware of the cave-ins. With all that water leaking down, there's no telling how compromised the structure is.

I really thought for a while that it was a large culvert underneath a railroad grade, but then I saw the rails.

but beware of the cave-ins.

This right here is why nobody should do caches like this.

:rolleyes: Some of us are old enough to make these decisions for ourselves.

I agree, I am too. I can legally drive a car (Don't have the money to do so, though) If I wanted too I could take a bus to the cache find it and be home by dinner. I don't... Why? Because it's suicide. Fine have your fun, but when you are crushed jam, and I am finding a reasonable cache, possibly even 1000 feet from the place you are at, don't come crying to me.

Even the people who seem invincible doing things like this, such as John Bachar die.

I won't laugh at your funeral, but I won't hesitate to say, "I told him not to do it" either.

I can legally drive a car

And that right there is the reason the drive over to the cache site will certainly be far more likely to result in 'crushed jam' than the visit to the cave-in prone tunnel.

I'm sure Coldgears would never dream of texting, while attempting to fish a CD out of it's sleeve while driving, but there are far too many people on the roads who are attempting exactly that.

I agree, I am too. I can legally drive a car (Don't have the money to do so, though) If I wanted too I could take a bus to the cache find it and be home by dinner. I don't... Why? Because it's suicide. Fine have your fun, but when you are crushed jam, and I am finding a reasonable cache, possibly even 1000 feet from the place you are at, don't come crying to me.

Even the people who seem invincible doing things like this, such as John Bachar die.

I won't laugh at your funeral, but I won't hesitate to say, "I told him not to do it" either.

In the very unlikely event that I am unfortunate enough to be in that tunnel at the precise moment that it collapses, and my injuries are mortal, I am going to come back and haunt you. Every time you try to close your eyes and get a little sleep I am going to be there, or rather my ghost will, to whisper "JAWN"!

And I doubt your mom would agree with you being old enough to make such decisions for yourself. Moms are funny like that.

In the very unlikely event that I am unfortunate enough to be in that tunnel at the precise moment that it collapses, and my injuries are mortal, I am going to come back and haunt you. Every time you try to close your eyes and get a little sleep I am going to be there, or rather my ghost will, to whisper "JAWN"!

And I doubt your mom would agree with you being old enough to make such decisions for yourself. Moms are funny like that.

O NOEZ!!! NOT JAWN!!!!!!!!!!!! Anything but JAWN!

You would make one very, very cruel ghost, GOF.

Oh, and one more thing. Good on ya CG, for knowing your limits and caching within them.

Lol, I do stupid dangerous things all day. Ride my bike into the bad part of "town", walk along railroad tracks with no way out if a train comes, swim into the middle of the Delaware (BOATS!)... However, all those times I was too stupid to see the danger until afterwords, I had to jump into a huge pile of thorn bushes... I lost soo much blood off of little cuts instead of getting hit by a train, I was cursed out for looking at someone "the wrong way" and was told they were going to break my jaw in the bad part of town, and had a boat nearly hit me (I then swam back to more shallow water).

Luckily, knowschad was here to tell me the dangers before hand!

Since I now defeat Darwinism so stupid people can breed for a living, I would be fine with a cache that highlights the tunnel IF the placement is also outside the tunnel.

I would love to visit a cache like that. However, since it is proven to be structurally unsound, I seriously doubt I'd venture far into the tunnel and certainly nowhere near the evidence of that previous collapse.

Just FYI about the partial collapse. There is a road above with a posted weight limit. Above the collapsed section there seems to be a large boulder/ledge/stone slab or something that is holding up the road. The collapsed section is about 15 feet across and that stone ledge is much wider than that section. Elsewhere in the tunnel are various bricks that have fallen but no other large collapsed sections except what is below the road.

I am by no means suggesting the tunnel is safe, not am I saying its unsafe. Everyone needs to assess the situation and risk and move forward only if they feel comfortable and are willing to assume the risks.

I ride a motorcycle - In the MSF classes they discuss the concept of assumed risk (as has been alluded to by previous posters). I was reading a bit of philosophical ideas about risk and learned that there are different attitudes towards risk.

1) Avoid all risk and work to eliminate all risk from ones (or others) life(s)

- These types would like to ban any GC that might assume some risk for the seeker.

2) Hyperreflective self-disciplinary - This involves understanding risk and taking all possible precautions when entering a potentially risky situation.

- These types would not enter the tunnel or if they did would only do so after an engineering cert or repairs were made. They might find a different path to the cache that didnt involve entering the tunnel.

3) Risk Valorization - This is accepting risk in ones life is unavoidable and can be embraced as a way of "invigorating the soul". This mind set doesn't eschew safety yet also doesn't avoid it either.

-These types would assess the situation and rationalize that the tunnel has stood, 99% intact for over 100 years, and would proceed. They might bring a flashlight.

4) Flaunting risk - Those that shun all regard for safety.

- These types wouldn't give a second thought about going into a tunnel like this and might even be poking loose bricks with a stick.

Its even sort of like the process of baby-proofing ones home. Some people would never have a coffee table because a small child could fall and bump their head on the corner of it, some people buy padding for those corners. Some people assume the risk on behalf of their children and figure live and learn. Some never even consider it a risk to have a coffee table in a room where a young child is learning to walk. Some people might want to regulate the populace to ban coffee tables from the homes of young children.

Anyway - I guess I'm rambling.

Be safe out there. Don't go into the tunnel or you will die.

Just FYI about the partial collapse. There is a road above with a posted weight limit. Above the collapsed section there seems to be a large boulder/ledge/stone slab or something that is holding up the road. The collapsed section is about 15 feet across and that stone ledge is much wider than that section. Elsewhere in the tunnel are various bricks that have fallen but no other large collapsed sections except what is below the road.

I am by no means suggesting the tunnel is safe, not am I saying its unsafe. Everyone needs to assess the situation and risk and move forward only if they feel comfortable and are willing to assume the risks.

I ride a motorcycle - In the MSF classes they discuss the concept of assumed risk (as has been alluded to by previous posters). I was reading a bit of philosophical ideas about risk and learned that there are different attitudes towards risk.

- These types would like to ban any GC that might assume some risk for the seeker.

2) Hyperreflective self-disciplinary - This involves understanding risk and taking all possible precautions when entering a potentially risky situation.

- These types would not enter the tunnel or if they did would only do so after an engineering cert or repairs were made. They might find a different path to the cache that didnt involve entering the tunnel.

3) Risk Valorization - This is accepting risk in ones life is unavoidable and can be embraced as a way of "invigorating the soul". This mind set doesn't eschew safety yet also doesn't avoid it either.

-These types would assess the situation and rationalize that the tunnel has stood, 99% intact for over 100 years, and would proceed. They might bring a flashlight.

- These types wouldn't give a second thought about going into a tunnel like this and might even be poking loose bricks with a stick.

Its even sort of like the process of baby-proofing ones home. Some people would never have a coffee table because a small child could fall and bump their head on the corner of it, some people buy padding for those corners. Some people assume the risk on behalf of their children and figure live and learn. Some never even consider it a risk to have a coffee table in a room where a young child is learning to walk. Some people might want to regulate the populace to ban coffee tables from the homes of young children.

I have completed over 400 hours of safety training now and most of the certs say U.S. Department of Labor on them. The gubba-mint wants the idjits to breed so we can have more sheeple to pay taxes. :anibad:

Cowboy_after_OSHA.jpg

I have completed over 400 hours of safety training now and most of the certs say U.S. Department of Labor on them. The gubba-mint wants the idjits to breed so we can have more sheeple to pay taxes. :anibad:

Cowboy_after_OSHA.jpg

BTW Sombody who is artistic needs to do a geocacher version. :laughing: