Placing Pictures in my Listings

JeepFreak81

So, I was playing around and editing the only cache I currently have published and I added a photo of the area where the cache is. It in no way gives any indication to where the cache is hidden, it's just a picture showing the area.

After posting this it occurred to me that some people might not like this. So I'm looking for some opinions on the subject. Do you think it's a good idea or not. My line of thinking when putting the picture up is so people can see the area and what they have to look forward to on their journey to my cache. However, that might take some of the surprise of discovery away. I know I like to see pictures, and then experience it for myself still but do you think there are a number of people that would rather be "surprised" by what they see when they get there?

I'm working on another listing that I hope to have published this weekend, was going to do a similar picture for that one depending on what I get for a response from the infinitely knowledgeable people on this forum :P

Here's the link for my cache http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=d0732da0-1c16-478c-b52f-7d665ba6fa1d

Edited by JeepFreak81

I like to see the pictures... keeping them to a small size and listing them below the text like you did is best I think. Generally I don't see most cachers going to the trouble of adding a photo, so it is always welcome when someone goes to the trouble like you have.

Do you think it's a good idea or not.

It's an indication that the CO put some thought into the cache. A single paragraph of only text with typos and bad grammar is a bad sign. But when I see a nice page with a photo on it, I know someone put lots of work into it. I'd hunt that cache first. And there's probably a lot more to do and see than just that one view anyway. As Keith Watson mentioned, it's also good to know in advance if it's worthwhile to bring a camera.

If it seems to be a spoiler, you might simply post the picture and not mention that it's near the cache. People may assume it is, or they may think it's just a picture of the general landscape.

You may also instead do a photo of a leaf, or the shoreline, or something else nearby, and they could have a nice picture, yet still be surprised by a majestic vista on arrival.

Edited by kunarion

Are those railroad tracks you were standing on when you took the picture? <_<:anibad:

Seriously, that's a pretty place. If was a little closer than 2540.9mi from my home location, I'd go find it.

Yes I was standing on RR tracks, and they have been defunct for over 15 years. This is a common set of tracks that are used by people walking and in the winter by snowmobilers.

Thanks for the tips and encouragement, I'll try sizing the image down a bit for fast loading and to be more friendly on mobile devices.