Turning a rare mistake geocoin into TB to be discovered?

issueperson

I'm new to the geocoin community and have a question about a mistake geocoin.

I've legitimately acquired a rare mistake geocoin. The creator has allowed me to keep the coin. I will not be releasing the coin, as it would likely go missing.

The coin is not trackable. It was a mistake coin and the tracking number was scratched out.

If you had the chance to see a rare coin at an event, but it was not trackable, would you be interested? What if the coin were attached as a backpacker to a travel bug, so that it could be logged as discovered that way? It obviously wouldn't have the geocoin icon or be an official find of the released LE coin.

Thanks for helping out a trackables newbie.

issueperson

I'm new to the geocoin community and have a question about a mistake geocoin.

I've legitimately acquired a rare mistake geocoin. The creator has allowed me to keep the coin. I will not be releasing the coin, as it would likely go missing.

The coin is not trackable. It was a mistake coin and the tracking number was scratched out.

If you had the chance to see a rare coin at an event, but it was not trackable, would you be interested? What if the coin were attached as a backpacker to a travel bug, so that it could be logged as discovered that way? It obviously wouldn't have the geocoin icon or be an official find of the released LE coin.

Thanks for helping out a trackables newbie.

issueperson

Great idea, others will be able to see it as well. :)

There are collectors that like the error coins. Weather they have the wrong or missing colors, duplicate tracking numbers or whatever the defect is. I think there is a big market for the errors. I for one like error coins. Though the only ones i have are a pair of coins that have the same tracking number on them.

My postal coins were my "artist" editions that were done wrong, they were supposed to have glowing headlights but they forgot to make them glow. :)

There are collectors that like the error coins. Weather they have the wrong or missing colors, duplicate tracking numbers or whatever the defect is. I think there is a big market for the errors. I for one like error coins. Though the only ones i have are a pair of coins that have the same tracking number on them.

My postal coins were my "artist" editions that were done wrong, they were supposed to have glowing headlights but they forgot to make them glow. :)

So why scratch out the tracking numbers. It would still be a usable coin and could have been sold for more based on it being a mistake. Since it was a mistake its even more rare then the typical artist edition thus adding value to the coin. You know mint errors from the US treasury sell for 10s to 100s of times more then the face value of the coin or bill. Since they are so rare and the mint generally catches them before they go into circulation.

If it's not trackable it's not discoverable but it would be a pretty nifty conversation piece at an event. I think you'll find when you present your error coin at events that opinions will probably be mixed. Those who think it's a reject and those who think that as a reject it's more valuable and interesting. It's really a matter of taste or even appreciation for the coin itself. If it was a prized coin, highly collectable and hard to find the value of a reject or error goes up. Not so for a less desirable one. But that's just my opinion and other will find that their mileage varies.

It is not uncommon for people to turn Service coins (military, public service, and other types) into travel bugs. I see no reason that would prevent you from doing the same thing with your "error" coin.

Just remember that if you send it out into the world, it will most likely disappear, sooner rather than later because of its' uniqueness.

A friend of mine has in his possession a double-headed Kennedy Half-dollar. He wanted to make it into a traveler, but after discussion with me, decided not to. Although he received it from a bank (they missed what it actually was), it is in reality a "constructed" thing by an unknown person that halved the two heads together. Because it is an altered coin, it is illegal to use it as currency (passing it off would be the same as passing counterfeit). Therefore it is next to worthless, but certainly is unique.

EDIT to add: Sure beats the pants off anyone when you are flipping the coin toss and always winning!

Edited by Gitchee-Gummee

I'd always be interested in seeing this kind of geocoin. I have to admit that I don't log every travel bug as discovered - only those that have a special story/shape/mission. If you add good photos of your coin to the travel bug page, I would definitely appreciate logging it, as it would be a way for me to see the coin a 2nd time, and I could go back to the TB page if I wanted to study it again.

I'd always be interested in seeing this kind of geocoin. I have to admit that I don't log every travel bug as discovered - only those that have a special story/shape/mission. If you add good photos of your coin to the travel bug page, I would definitely appreciate logging it, as it would be a way for me to see the coin a 2nd time, and I could go back to the TB page if I wanted to study it again.

Thanks everyone for the helpful advice. I will make the error coin a trackable TB with a good page so others can log it at events. But not going to release it into the wild.

issueperson

So why scratch out the tracking numbers. It would still be a usable coin and could have been sold for more based on it being a mistake. Since it was a mistake its even more rare then the typical artist edition thus adding value to the coin. You know mint errors from the US treasury sell for 10s to 100s of times more then the face value of the coin or bill. Since they are so rare and the mint generally catches them before they go into circulation.

Most likely reason was limited Tracking Numbers, so if they weren't reused for the correct AE coins, then there would have been a lesser number of AE coins.

And back then most people were not thinking about the value of coins if they were a scare edition/version.

Most likely reason was limited Tracking Numbers, so if they weren't reused for the correct AE coins, then there would have been a lesser number of AE coins.

And back then most people were not thinking about the value of coins if they were a scare edition/version.

I, for one, really like error coins. I think it makes them unique and sometimes very collectible.

I did that because they reminted them for me with the same tracking #'s. So scratched them out, gave some away.