Need a basic but good gps for Geocatching

About a year ago I had a garmin 60csx it was good but a pain to program and worthless for directions so I sold it and got a zumo since I could use my iPhone for Geocatching. But it is so inaccurate and hiding catches is not fair with it, it is time for a new one. Trouble is the iPhone is so convent I will most likely use that and then just program a gps so I just need something basic and fast to program but have had so many issues with the garmin stuff I am not sure what I want some suggestions on what to get would be helpful.

Yea but my kid likes finding treasures in the woods now and it gets me out. Guess I don't have to geocatch and could just play video games.

Sorry I ment worthless on the road in a car or on my motorcycle. It took to long to calculate the display sucked on the mc and kept taking me down dead ends. I realised was the wrong gps for that and got the zumo.

Edited by ProgrammerGeek

Wow your really helpful for this community.

Hey, it's your problem... The 60CSx is/was the one of the very most popular (and beloved) handheld geocaching GPS units of all time. It was not "too hard" for a great many people to use. Again, sorry it was a "pain" and "worthless for directions" (your words, by the way...) for you.

Edited by sviking

Programmer,

You are new. The 60csx is a tool that was was designed so well that it has a "beloved" status here with many. Me included.

You coming here and voicing your displeasure with it is like someone coming to a duck hunter's forum and telling folks "I tried a Labrador Retriever this weekend...they suck...I want a new dog." :)

Actually, sviking's suggestion to give it to your kid has merit....I get a new gadget...the first person I call is my daughter. She figures it out in like 30 minutes, then shows me the ropes.

Programmer,

You are new. The 60csx is a tool that was was designed so well that it has a "beloved" status here with many. Me included.

You coming here and voicing your displeasure with it is like someone coming to a duck hunter's forum and telling folks "I tried a Labrador Retriever this weekend...they suck...I want a new dog." :)

Absolutely well stated! Bravo!

Actually, sviking's suggestion to give it to your kid has merit....I get a new gadget...the first person I call is my daughter. She figures it out in like 30 minutes, then shows me the ropes.

Yup. That was a serious suggestion since it was "too hard" for him. Let the kid figure it out. At least they'd know how to do an on-line search and learn how to use it even though it is NOT hard to use in the first place. :rolleyes:

I just started out and bought the 60Csx after reading about it on here and WOW, it's great. You should spend the time to try it out properly as I think you'll struggle to find anything more accurate.

I don't think I'd use one for car navigation, I have the trusty old TomTom for that, but then I've never tried so I can't comment. I think you'd certainly need to make sure you had the right maps to use it in your car (City Navigator 2011??).

You should have definitely hung onto that 60Csx if you wanted accuracy IMO. I'm a noob to the whole thing and found it pretty straight forward, I've even started having a bash with GSAK and Cachemate now too! Great fun :)

Edited by derbygeocacher

Ok now you people are full of it. Can you even read! My problems with the 60csx where when using it in a car or on my motorcycle. I'm sorry it is horrible for that purpose. It was ok when it came out but quickly got surpassed by more purposed gps's that where better in cars. The touch screen, bigger displays, faster processors, anti glare are so munch better in a newer gps, real time traffic. I feel sorry for you people that you think the 60csx is good for that you really have to get out more and go look at the newer ones. Sure it could work but is not good at it compared to today's standards.

Again! I don't know why it seems some people here are thick headed. Programming it is not a problem. Do I need to say it again, I bet I do. Programming it is not a problem. Maybe I worded it not well I should of used the term tedious compaired to a touchscreen. My daugher is 3 I doubt she could it, and I would bet I am a lot younger than the people commenting I also have a masters in computer programming so I don't think this little toy is an issue. Anyhow you have all been great help I highly suggest you get out of this hobbie or at least keep your mouth shut unless you have something productive to add to forums other than that you are just creating noise and useless information.

I'm sorry if I affended anyone saying the 60csx is not a great car gps.

Edited by ProgrammerGeek

Ok now you people are full of it. Can you even read! My problems with the 60csx where when using it in a car or on my motorcycle. I'm sorry it is horrible for that purpose. It was ok when it came out but quickly got surpassed by more purposed gps's that where better in cars. The touch screen, bigger displays, faster processors, anti glare are so munch better in a newer gps, real time traffic. I feel sorry for you people that you think the 60csx is good for that you really have to get out more and go look at the newer ones. Sure it could work but is not good at it compared to today's standards.

Again! I don't know why it seems some people here are thick headed. Programming it is not a problem. Do I need to say it again, I bet I do. Programming it is not a problem. Maybe I worded it not well I should of used the term tedious compaired to a touchscreen. My daugher is 3 I doubt she could it, and I would bet I am a lot younger than the people commenting I also have a masters in computer programming so I don't think this little toy is an issue. Anyhow you have all been great help I highly suggest you get out of this hobbie or at least keep your mouth shut unless you have something productive to add to forums other than that you are just creating noise and useless information.

Seriously? WOW. You need to calm down.

By the way, you said this in your first post;

"About a year ago I had a garmin 60csx it was good but a pain to program"

I would think that's the reason that people assumed you were struggling with the programming....Because that's what you said!

Regardless, I don't think people will want to help when you have such a bad attitude, sorry.

You're on a GEOCACHING forum asking for advice on a GPS. Most folks are assuming you're looking for a GPS primarily to be used for GEOCACHING, and they're telling you that the 60csx is an excellent unit for GEOCACHING. Geocaching involves navigating to coordinates OFF ROAD, in terms of a straight line from your current location to "point B". Its a handheld unit for hiking and off road use, it's not designed to give you driving directions. If you're expecting to use it for that expect to be frustrated.

If you want advice for a good DRIVING unit, go to a forum where they talk about driving navigation.

If you take the time to learn to use the 60csx properly, you'll find that using your car GPS to get to the area and then using your handheld to walk to the cache location is a good combination.

You're on a GEOCACHING forum asking for advice on a GPS.

Roger that and while you have expressed using a new one for geocaching, I suggest that you check the profiles of those offering advice. You might want to assess the advice of those who actually geocache with greater creedance.

A further note of a contemporaneous nature, while the creme-de-la-creme of its time, the 60CSX will not support paperless geocaching, which is how most Premium members cache today.

You didn't "affend" (sic) me, but you're wrong. It can be a great GPS for driving directions. I've been using mine for that for years as well as for "catching" (sic), as have thousands of others, and it seldom, if ever, steers me wrong. Ya just gotta have good maps and take the time to learn how to use it correctly.

And no, I DON'T have to "get out more" or "look at newer ones". Mine works just fine, thank you very much. For me and those thousands of others. I know plenty of folks that have "newer ones" and almost to a person they wish they had their trusty old 60csx's back.

Next time you come looking for help, try toning down the attitude and being a little more civil. You'll get a lot more people more willing to help you.

My attitude. REALLY? The first response was "Get another hobby." what help is that.

I tried to explain myself better thinking I was maybe not clear and the next responses where not much better. Anyhow I am not sinking to the level of some of the people responding I hope to never run across them again they are pretty useless. I had a simple questions that apparently they are not qualified to answer since they have not shopped lately and rather pick on people instead.

The 60csx I don’t think was a bad GPS just not up to current hand held device standards, heck I can speak the coordinates into my phone via siri now and it will take me there so I was hoping Garmin had improved the user experience. I like the car one I have. I asked here because I wanted one for Geocatching I don't know why people can't understand that. I never had trouble Geocatching with the 60csx the issues where elsewhere. I guess I can't type clearly or they can't interrupt well. I apologies for offending it if that is the best Garmin has and has not improved in many years I guess that is the answer I have to take.

Moderator – this thread is pretty useless and responses are way unprofessional and childish. I suggest you lock it so the petty badgering can stop or delete since it is useless anyhow.

I don't think I'd use one for car navigation, I have the trusty old TomTom for that, but then I've never tried so I can't comment. I think you'd certainly need to make sure you had the right maps to use it in your car (City Navigator 2011??).

Actually, it will navigate you just as accurately as the newest Nuvi with the latest update since it uses the exact same City Navigator map. It's the interface that's severely lacking. All you get is beeps and boops indicating when to turn as there's (obviously) no voice function. And, the small screen and lack of touch capability really kills it for car navigation, but it WILL work. In fact, I take my 60CSx as a back up to my 3790T on long trips. I've navigated with the 60CSx just to see how it would work on the road and it isn't fun, but it's more than doable with a recent version of City Navigator NA.

Ok now you people are full of it. Can you even read! My problems with the 60csx where when using it in a car or on my motorcycle.

You did NOT mention that important little tidbit until this post. This is geocaching site, first and foremost...not an automotive GPS one... Go somewhere else for that as there are better resources. Have your kid show you how to do a Google search. :laughing:

Again! I don't know why it seems some people here are thick headed. Programming it is not a problem. Do I need to say it again, I bet I do. Programming it is not a problem.

You said in your FIRST post it was "a pain to program". Go back and read what YOU wrote. :rolleyes:

Had to add... Glad to see everyone else reiterating the same points I made in this post. I didn't read all the new posts before posting this one. :lol:

Edited by sviking

Actually, it will navigate you just as accurately as the newest Nuvi with the latest update since it uses the exact same City Navigator map. It's the interface that's severely lacking. All you get is beeps and boops indicating when to turn as there's (obviously) no voice function. And, the small screen and lack of touch capability really kills it for car navigation, but it WILL work. In fact, I take my 60CSx as a back up to my 3790T on long trips. I've navigated with the 60CSx just to see how it would work on the road and it isn't fun, but it's more than doable with a recent version of City Navigator NA.

I figured that would be the case. I did think about giving it a run out just out of interest as I do have City Navigator 2011.

Thanks for the info ;)

I figured that would be the case. I did think about giving it a run out just out of interest as I do have City Navigator 2011.

Thanks for the info ;)

Yeah, if you set it up right, it is definitely useable on the road. You can have a large text box pop up (with turn arrow) as you get close to the turn. You can set it to autozoom (or not) and I don't even have that choice on my high end Nuvi. Not having a dedicated car cradle can be a pain, but it fits in a center cup holder, which has a rubberized lining, so it doesn't slide around too much and I can easily see it. I don't run the latest and greatest CN NA map...usually two or three revisions back until I get around to "finding" another newer copy. Not ideal, but it works. :laughing:

Moderator – this thread is pretty useless and responses are way unprofessional and childish. I suggest you lock it so the petty badgering can stop or delete since it is useless anyhow.

My condolences PG. It does happen once in a while; fortunately, not as frequently as formerly. We used to have a lot of my "Ford is better that your Chevy" controversies which degenerated into personal vituperation.

We used to have a lot of my "Ford is better that your Chevy" controversies which degenerated into personal vituperation.

Please explain. Was this a model versus specific model thread? Nope... If the 60CSx was the "Ford", per se...then what was the "Chevy"? This thread was about someone who complained about a "gold standard" GPS unit that so many love and continue to use to this day because it was a "pain to program". :laughing:

My condolences PG. It does happen once in a while; fortunately, not as frequently as formerly. We used to have a lot of my "Ford is better that your Chevy" controversies which degenerated into personal vituperation.

It sounded more like "the Ford isn't good enough, I want a Ferrari and I'd like it to change it's own oil".

It might be worth re-reading the thread for clarification.