Needs Maintenance - only for physical issues?

redsox_mark

Recently I found a cache where the coordinates were about 200 feet out. Multiple logs from various cachers confirmed the same. The cache owner recognised the issue and added the corrected coordinates to the cache page text - but did not update the posted coordinates. Previous logs also asked the owner to update the coordinates, but that had not happened.

I posted a "Needs Maintenance" log asking if the coordinates could please be updated.

Later I had doubts about my doing this. The Knowledge Book on this topic Link to KB implies that it is for physical issues; no examples of non-physical issues are given.

On the other hand, the listing guidelines say:

Geocache Maintenance

Owner is responsible for geocache page upkeep.

Owner is responsible for visits to the physical location.

So Maintenance in this definition includes geocache page upkeep.

I am interested in opinions - is a "Needs Maintenance" log valid for non-physical issues such as this?

The logic I used at the time for the NM log was:

1. If cachers didn't read all the page they would be looking in the wrong place; so this seemed a significant issue to me.

2. The NM attribute could be useful to finders to flag up the issue.

3. The cache owner had not responded to previous requests to update the coordinates.

Edited by redsox_mark

An NM is fine. But the CO may not know how to make the change or the don't want to worried that the significant coord change would force them to archive the listing and repost. Not knowing which cache this is, he could be keeping it listed this way cause the actual cache placement is sitting too close to another cache.

But if the listing isn't fixed in the near future then maybe an NA would be called for.

An NM is fine. But the CO may not know how to make the change or the don't want to worried that the significant coord change would force them to archive the listing and repost. Not knowing which cache this is, he could be keeping it listed this way cause the actual cache placement is sitting too close to another cache.

But if the listing isn't fixed in the near future then maybe an NA would be called for.

Thanks! The cache is GC2ZK87.

I guess it is possible that there is a puzzle/multi in conflict with the correct coords. I think more likely that he/she is not aware the coords can be changed.

Yep proper use of the NA. Recently our reviewer got word of a similar cache that had just as bad coordinates. He disabled the cache and got the owner to change the coordinates. I'm guessing someone just sent him an email cause I highly doubt he stumbled across the listing.

Also I recently did the same thing for a cache we found. Coordinates had us down a hill outside a parking lot, while the cache was 200 ft away in a lamp post.I posted a NM and now need to see if I need to follow up.

The CO has posted a "found it" log on his own cache, when he should have posted an "owner maintenance" log:

Found it

08/23/2011

Went out to check on this one, changed the contianer as the log was getting a bit damp and the lid was stuck!

So I think that perhaps someone needs to send him an email explaining the different logging options, and to explain that an "updated coordinates" log is necessary to fix the problem.

Perhaps the local reviewer might be able to help out?

The CO seems to be having a problem with understanding the various logging options. :blink:

He's posted a "DNF" on one of his other caches:

GC2ZK7M:

Didn't find it 08/23/2011

Went out to check on the cache and couldn't find it, must be well hidden. Will keep my eye on this one.

That seems rather a strange log for the owner to post. :blink:

(Others have noted that the coords for that one are out by about 70 feet or so.)

Another "found it" log for GC2ZK6X:

Found it 08/23/2011

Again checking on the cache, this one was well hidden and I got a few scratches to show for it!

That's a rather odd log for the owner to post, isn't it? :huh:

"Found it" log instead of an "owner maintenance" for GC2ZK6Q:

Found it 08/23/2011

Went out to chcek this cache at the weekend, all seemed well. May get a more watertight container for over the winter.

The CO seems to be having a problem with understanding the various logging options. :blink:

Yes, there are some odd ones there. More evidence that it is a new cacher who could use a bit of help. I've emailed him/her with instructions on how to edit the coordinates and clear the maintenance.

I see they joined in 2009, but they have only 10 finds and these caches were their first hides.

It says the caches were hidden with a senior citizens group; but it implies the owner was with them when they hid the caches.

It says the caches were hidden with a senior citizens group; but it implies the owner was with them when they hid the caches.

Just a thought...

I wonder if the Grandparents ("Hidden with a senior citizens group") hid for the grandchild, who now has the account?

Hence, they have to go and find their own 'owned' caches. :unsure:

The logs would then make 'some' sense!

Edited by Bear and Ragged