Total Number of finds

Mossman

quote:
Originally posted by Wily Javelina:

Um, I think that would be a big fat NO. You could alway go out and purchase a calculator, or if you are lucky, some GPSrs have built in calculators.

Why bother with calculators when you can just use a slide rule or an abacus?

- I just got lost in thought. It was unfamiliar territory. -

Man, there is a bunch of pessimist’s in the forums. Any time a person has an idea everybody just shreds it to pieces. Why not be a little optimistic. I’m not trying to create more work for Jeremy, but right now I don’t enter any “no finds” or notes into the system and use the number of logs that I have entered into the system on my cache page, so I don’t have to do the math. Also why should you have to go through 15 different steps to obtain a number that could easily be displayed on the users profile. If I’m in a search of caches and want to look to see how many caches a certain user has found, you used to be able to go into their profile and look, without losing the original search to go and seek another list of caches to get the total.

If you don't have anything constructive to say, stay off the forums with this pessimist/optimist cr@p.

The User profile used to be set up with the totals...it used to be very easy to track a geocachers last caches ...which was VERY helpful in tracking down lost travelbugs. Now it is almost impossible. I too wish they would add totals and dates to the caches found like before, and keep your smart @ss calculator jokes to yourself.

If you don't have anything constructive to say, stay off the forums with this pessimist/optimist cr@p.

The User profile used to be set up with the totals...it used to be very easy to track a geocachers last caches ...which was VERY helpful in tracking down lost travelbugs. Now it is almost impossible. I too wish they would add totals and dates to the caches found like before, and keep your smart @ss calculator jokes to yourself.

OK then Jeff and Bek.

Sorry Mossman, but the reason for the responses is that this has been discussed a good bit. It was discussed just after the change was made. Jeremy has said that he wants it to stay as is.

Lamneth's method it a good one but is not perfect. The first cache I found was a 1/1. It was later changed to a 5/4 multi-cache that I went back and found again (for my 100th cache). Since I logged the same cache page twice my total using Lamneth's method is off by one since it looks at cache pages logged and not individual logs. That rarely happens, but does give a flaw in the count. If you add up the caches on the profile page they will add up since multiple logging of a cache page will show up in those statistics.

mtn-man... admin brick mason

"approver of all trades" -- per Woodsters Outdoors

It seems like a good job for a computer to me. Since the guy that controls this web site apparently doesn't want his computer bothered by that pesky addition, use your own. All you need is good tools

$ geo-count mtn-man

USERNAME: mtn-man

Project APE Caches found 1

Webcam Caches found 2

Locationless (Reverse) Caches found 6

Cache In Trash Out Events found 2

Traditional Caches found 342

Virtual Caches found 93

Unknown (Mystery) Caches found 15

Multi-caches found 28

Letterbox Hybrids found 5

Event Caches found 17

TOTAL FOUND 511

(robertl) rjloud:/home/robertl

Or more concisely:

$ geo-count -s mtn-man

511 mtn-man

quote:
Originally posted by mtn-man:

robertlipe, those only work with Linux and CygWin though, right? There are some interesting tools there though.

They work with a wide variety of OSes; the requirements for each are listed at the top. Source is provided for each so that anyone wanting to port it to some environment that isn't as tool-rich is welcome to do so. For those OSes that standards and tool impoverished, there are a variety of strap-on packages (like Cygwin, Msys, and others) to make up the difference, so it shouldn't be a deal-breaker for anyone.