Repair

kellboy13

In the situation that you come across a geocache that needs repair or replacement, what is the protocol? Are you allowed to fix/replace the container in the case of one in a coffee container or other such thing, could you bring another can? same goes as far as the Logs, the one i found had been badly weather damaged due to the condition of the container, and while i would not replace it if allowed, i would bring a new notebook for logging.

Any help? Its no problem for me to help this site out, its relatively close to where i live.

In the situation that you come across a geocache that needs repair or replacement, what is the protocol?

You should leave a note or a Needs Maintenance log (and a Found It log, too), and mention the poor condition. In some cases the Cache Owner has a better container on hand, ready for the coffee can to wear out.

You may also send a message to the Cache Owner with your kind offer.

Edited by kunarion

I have done so a few times. I would never take a log no matter how bad it was. I would however leave a new one with it for people to sign if the old one was to bad to use or full. I have changed out a few containers. Only if I have one very similar to the one that was originally there. One was in a hole of a rock and broken into pieces. I put the stuff in the new container and left the old one in there just in case the CO wanted it for some reason. There was one that my daughter picked up and she was not sure if she broke off the last tab of the Lock n Lock. The others were missing. We tied it shut and made a note of it in our log. I seen others complaining about it and I checked the CO page to see he had not been on in a while and this is in a place a new cache could not be put so we got a Lock n Lock and replaced it. We put a note in the log. About a month later the CO said he was out fixing some of his and seen the note and was very thankful and I had also asked if he wanted us to adopt it. He said he really did but then never signed back on. I would say if you have a container like the original it would be a very nice thing for you to do.

-WarNinjas

In the situation that you come across a geocache that needs repair or replacement, what is the protocol? Are you allowed to fix/replace the container in the case of one in a coffee container or other such thing, could you bring another can? same goes as far as the Logs, the one i found had been badly weather damaged due to the condition of the container, and while i would not replace it if allowed, i would bring a new notebook for logging.

Any help? Its no problem for me to help this site out, its relatively close to where i live.

Here's what I did for an abandoned cache in very poor shape (dollar store tab style container - 3 of 4 tabs broken off, water in the container, very moldy and dirty contents):

• I posted a find.
  • Then posted a Needs Maintenance with a photo of its condition.
  • Then place a Watch on the cache.
  • After a month with no response from the CO I posted a Needs Archiving.
  • The Reviewer posted a Reviewer Note.
  • After 3 months the Reviewer archived the cache.
  • I drove back out to remove the moldy box.

There is now a new cache a few feet away from that spot placed by a new owner. Cachers (including me) get the fun of finding a new, maintained cache.

If the cache has been abandoned, once it's archived, you can place a brand new cache out there and get credit for placing and maintaining it.

Edited by Lone R

Here's what I did for an abandoned cache in very poor shape (dollar store tab style container - 3 of 4 tabs broken off, water in the container, very moldy and dirty contents):

• I posted a find.
  • Then posted a Needs Maintenance with a photo of its condition.
  • Then place a Watch on the cache.
  • After a month with no response from the CO I posted a Needs Archiving.
  • The Reviewer posted a Reviewer Note.
  • After 3 months the Reviewer archived the cache.
  • I drove back out to remove the moldy box.

There is now a new cache a few feet away from that spot placed by a new owner. Cachers (including me) get the fun of finding a new, maintained cache.

If the cache has been abandoned, once it's archived, you can place a brand new cache out there and get credit for placing and maintaining it.

This is the procedure. If more were to cache using this technique, then those "community supported" caches -- which are rarely more than dismal examples of caches, anyway -- will cease to exist. Opening the way for good, better, or best placements.

Well done, Lone R.

Minor repairs are OK. I've fixed cracked containers with duct tape, added a pencil, dried out damp notebooks.

If the container needs replacement it's best to let the owner take care of it. Log a needs maintenance and let the owner do the work.

If you know ahead of time that you are visiting a cache that needs attention, you can ask the owner if he'd like you to replace the container, but I wouldn't do it without the owner's permission.

In the case of an AWOL owner, it's best to log a needs archived and let the cache die. If you like the spot you can then hide your own cache there.