Confessions of a TB enthusiast

TheBearPack

So excited. One of my TB's, whose goal was to make it to a specific Harry Potter Cache in England, has made it to Europe!!! Wow. Pretty much predicted a 90% failure rate, but my bugs are doing okay. :) If someone finds him and brings him back to the US before his goal, I'll hunt them down... JK. ;) I'm just pretty excited he made it to another continent!

Congratulations on your TB travels. Gives me hope for mine. I just released my first two this week and they haven't moved yet so am looking forward to watching them. About once a week I check on the others that I have moved to see where they have gone. Always sad when I see ones come up missing or stalled. I do my best to place them in what I call safe caches and wish others would do the same. Getting harder and harder to find caches big enough to move travelers as so many micros are being placed.

Congratulations but you know you just jinxed yourself right?

Haha. No kidding! ;)

Hey Baack40...did you know you can put other people's trackables on your watchlist? They way when they move you get an email notification. I like watching some of the cooler ones I have found move also.

Such a great tool. I've done this with a few of the favorite TB's that have crossed my path!

Congratulations on your TB travels. Gives me hope for mine. I just released my first two this week and they haven't moved yet so am looking forward to watching them. About once a week I check on the others that I have moved to see where they have gone. Always sad when I see ones come up missing or stalled. I do my best to place them in what I call safe caches and wish others would do the same. Getting harder and harder to find caches big enough to move travelers as so many micros are being placed.

Thank you! :) Not sure where you live, but you can actively seek out caches by size. I'm fortunate that there are plenty of normal sized caches where I live. The only time I really find micros is when I'm radius-slutting (or slaving?) to clear out a given area. Or if they're really cool. I'm going out of town this weekend and there is a cache on our 'hope to find' list that is large enough to accommodate the 14 lb bowling ball TB!! I'd love to run across such a TB and help it on it's endeavors. How rad!

Edited by TheBearPack

We collect as many TB as possible as we are situated between two Travel Bug Hotels. This normally helps get them on their way and we monitor local caches for bugs that have been sitting still for weeks. If we spot that they have been inactive for a more than a month we pick them up and move them to the Hotels.

We own our own bugs and always post Thank You notes to the cachers who move them on and so far we have found

this keeps them moving quite nicely, plus it's always polite to say thanks (or sorry if we have held onto something too long or gone against it's mission by accident! :( )

Unfortunately we released our own bugs quite early in our chaching adventures and sent them out with no indicator of their mission where they have one, except the details on the web page, so we expect them to go askew at some point. Having collected a few more now I like the idea of having the mission set out on a seperate keyring. It's awkward looking up the missions on our Blackberry when out in the field and the mission keyring saves us picking up ones that we can't help on their way to accomplishing their mission. Lesson learnt :P

So excited. One of my TB's, whose goal was to make it to a specific Harry Potter Cache in England, has made it to Europe!!! Wow. Pretty much predicted a 90% failure rate, but my bugs are doing okay. :) If someone finds him and brings him back to the US before his goal, I'll hunt them down... JK. ;) I'm just pretty excited he made it to another continent!

That is cool, TheBearPack! I like the TB too. I put a watch on it to keep an eye on the fun. Good luck. :)

Unfortunately we released our own bugs quite early in our chaching adventures and sent them out with no indicator of their mission where they have one, except the details on the web page, so we expect them to go askew at some point. Having collected a few more now I like the idea of having the mission set out on a seperate keyring. It's awkward looking up the missions on our Blackberry when out in the field and the mission keyring saves us picking up ones that we can't help on their way to accomplishing their mission. Lesson learnt :P

Have you thought about adding a note to the About This Item section of your TB page? If you request a mission statement be added to your trackables, I am sure a helpful cacher would be happy to add one somewhere along its travels.

Hey Baack40...did you know you can put other people's trackables on your watchlist? They way when they move you get an email notification. I like watching some of the cooler ones I have found move also.

Yes, I have a few marked but don't want to get the emails on all of them LOL It is a very nice feature. Some of the beautiful geocoins and unusal tb's I have marked to watch. But sometimes I just go through the list and click last logged and it puts it in order to see which ones are missing or stalled somewhere. That is a nice feature too. However, that isn't possible with the geocoins. I love moving travelers and very seldom pass one up unless the cache owner has stated to take only one, or replace the same number of travelers that you take. If I could I would take them all. LOL I very seldom put more than one in a cache at a time as I am always afraid that if that cache gets muggled... If I notice that one that I placed in a cache is stalled and I am going to be in the area I sometimes go back and get it and move it to a different cache in hopes that it will get moving. I do the same with stalled ones in my own caches. I don't like them sitting over a month. I like to get them going again.