Temp Disabled Cache - Please Help

MMmm!!

Can anyone explain this so it makes more sense to me. I can't figure out what I did wrong I as seen other caches posted or listed in this area.

Thanks.

Temporarily Disable Listing

09/21/2011

Good Day,

I'm reviewing your new cache for listing on geocaching.com. I'm afraid it appears to be less than 150 feet away from the final location of a multi or mystery/puzzle cache. This is one of the most difficult proximity problems to remedy since I cannot divulge much information about a multi or mystery cache that you have not solved and found.

The guidelines (http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.printer.friendly&id=11) state:

Physical elements of different geocaches should generally be at least 0.10 miles apart. This separation is 528 ft or 161 m. A physical stage is defined as any stage that contains a physical element placed by the geocache owner, such as a container or a tag with the next set of coordinates. Non-physical caches or stages including reference points, trailhead/parking coordinates and/or a question to answer waypoints are exempt from this guideline. Additionally, within a single multi-cache or mystery/puzzle cache, there is no minimum required distance between physical elements.

I have temporarily disabled your cache to allow you to relocate it away from the other cache. Once you have moved the cache and changed the coordinates, you may enable the cache again by checking the box on the edit cache page that says "Yes, this cache is currently active (Reviewers will not see this listing unless box is checked)". That will show me your cache is ready to be reviewed again.

Thanks for understanding.

GeoCrater

Geocaching.com Volunteer Cache Reviewer

What part of the reviewers answer are you confused about? Caches have to be 0.1 miles (161 meters) apart, and your new placement is 150 feet from either a puzzle cache, or the last stage of a multi-cache, so it's been suspended for being too close. You'll need to move it. Best bet is try to identify what cache is causing the issue by solving nearby puzzle caches and checking locations, and move your cache so it no longer has the proximity problem. Good luck!

The only problem with your cache placement is its proximity to another cache. Since the cache you are too close to is a puzzle or a multi cache the final stage(s) of that cache is not visible on the map or in the cache listings. In order for you to know where the cache stage is at would be to find any near by puzzle or multi cache. Or you can contact the CO of the near by puzzle or multi and give them the cords to your cache and ask how far and in what direction you would need to move your cache to keep it within the guidelines. You may find that due to the proximity of other caches that there may not be a good location near by for you to place this cache. You may have to move it to a completely different area.

If I understand correctly, you had a cache published and then later you received this notice from the reviewer? It sounds to me like the reviewer might have made a mistake when publishing the cache and later realized that a mistake was made. It sounds like your cache is too close to someone else's puzzle final or a stage of someone else's multi. Usually the reviewers will tell you that you're too close when you submit your cache for publication - it's odd that you're getting the notice after publication (apparently).

Unfortunately, what this means is that you're going to have to move your cache. No fault of your own - you didn't know you were too close because you hadn't done the puzzle/multi yet that's causing the proximity problem for your cache. There's a Knowledge Book article on checking for cache saturation - I can't find it right now or I'd give you the link. There's no real good solution other than to do any multi and puzzle caches nearby and see where they're located (although if it's a multi that's causing the proximity problem, it doesn't necessarily have to be a nearby multi - it could start miles away...but usually that's not the case).

The cache was not published due to this problem. Sorry I did not make that clear. I don't see any multicaches within at least 5 miles and the one that I checked are very local and far away. This is located in a cemetery. Would it be ok to post the coordinates of my cache or PM them to any of you to see if anyone has any ideas.

Edited by MMMMFAST

The cache was not published due to this problem. Sorry I did not make that clear. I don't see any multicaches within at least 5 miles and the one that I checked are very local and far away. This is located in a cemetery. Would it be ok to post the coordinates of my cache or PM them to any of you to see if anyone has any ideas.

For multis and puzzle caches, you don't see where their finals or stages are, you only see the header coordinates. That's the whole issue, the header coordinates of the multi may be all the way over there, but its final (or one of its stages) could be just where you want to place your cache.

you will never see the FINAL location of a multi or a puzzle on the map, the only exception are the challenge caches listed as puzzle and residing at the listed coordinates

you need solve the puzzle or complete the multi to know where they are

you might want to read this whole article Checking for Cache Saturation, more importantly Step.3

Edited by t4e

You are bumping up against the final of a multi cache called Dem Bones (GC1FP2B). It starts 7 miles or so away so that is probably why you didn't see it. Your best best is to try to complete the multi to figure out where its stages are so you don't bump up against it again.

That or run your potential coords by the reviewer before you go through the trouble of actually placing the cache.