Stolen in Seattle

emmieo

When I visit Seattle, WA from Ontario, I always bring TBs to place in caches and to gain some travel miles and experience....I am very saddened to say that these travel bugs always get stolen! Why is that? Do you have an active thief on the prowl? Should there be an alert of some kind?

This post rang a bell with me.

A bit of searching brought up this topic from the NW forum earlier this year - Look at the link in post#6

"TBs disappearing out of locked cache. Unknown log signings.

MrsB

It's a known issue in the area. I'm actually surprised that others from other areas of the country to whom trackables are important or of interest are not aware of it. It seems to have gotten a little better lately although there is a reason for that. It's not something we like to talk about here...

Edited by FobesMan

Pardon me, the exact names are the CHRISTMAS COMPASS ROSE GEOCOIN and BONOBO THE MONKEY TRAVEL TAG. Have you seen them?

I know the cache that you placed those in and the person who found it right before you posted your note a few days ago is a friend of mine. If the trackables had been there, he would have at least discovered them. You are right to think that they are gone and the chances are good that the person eluded to earlier in the thread is responsible for taking them, that cache is within his sphere and you placed those trackabless at a time when he was actively visitng caches and taking bugs out.

The good news is that they will make it back into circulation eventually if he is the one that took them, it just might take longer than anyone else would like...

A travel bug hotel called seatac plane exchange was raided by a geocacher travel bug collector calling himself *removed by moderator* and has taken all the TB's in the Cache, I called him out cause he has over 17000 TB's logged. all I have to say is *removed by moderator* this guy and others like him are taking the fun out of geocaching for me and my family!

*removed by moderator*

is this something that is approved on the geocaching network? we spend money to have fun and to see how far our TB's will get only to have them swiped up by a local collector!

I say not fair and this should not be condoned!

I'm reposting this to all known forums and am hoping I can help stop the fun thieves!

the seatac plane exchange <http://coord.info/GCQK8N

Edited by Eartha
remove cacher name and profile

I hardly think that anything of this sort would be "condoned". What makes you choose that word? It almost sounds like you believe there is a conspiracy afloat with geocaching circles, or even the administration.

But you are the one calling somebody out. I hope you are prepared for the fallout. You may be barkin' up a tree loaded with cougars, bears, snakes and skunks.

That geocacher has been geocaching for eight years, wouldn't it be possible to move or discover that many travelers? Of course, there are "other" ways of upping those numbers, but that is not your accusation.

Perhaps your ducks are all in a row, and you know what you are talking about. My cursory glance at your posted link didn't suggest anything from what I saw. Most of those TB's have moved many thousands of miles, many or most still active. I just didn't see anything truly unusual -- but then it was only a cursory look-see.

A travel bug hotel called seatac plane exchange

I hope that a moderator removes the cacher's name from your post. You've cast a wrong accusation against that person, from what I can see.

The rest of your wild accusations about "condoning" trackable theft, is ridiculous.

I think you should calm down and think about what you've been accusing a large community of doing. You should especially reconsider posting this slander on any other forums.

That particular cacher you've "called out" has every right to report you to Groundspeak, as far as I'm concerned.

A travel bug hotel called seatac plane exchange was raided by a geocacher travel bug collector calling himself *removed by moderator* and has taken all the TB's in the Cache, I called him out cause he has over 17000 TB's logged. all I have to say is *** this guy and others like him are taking the fun out of geocaching for me and my family!

*removed by moderator*

is this something that is approved on the geocaching network? we spend money to have fun and to see how far our TB's will get only to have them swiped up by a local collector!

I'm reposting this to all known forums and am hoping I can help stop the fun thieves!

Just hold on there! Before you go accusing someone of thievery, please do a little research!!!

This cacher releases the trackables, does not hoard them, and just happens to be a prolific trackable mover. Posting to forums, and trying to give this guy a bad name can only result in you possibly losing your geocaching account, so cut it out, and please cease and desist doing this, and if you can edit any of those posts you posted in other forums, it would be wise to do so. It is not up to you to be the TB cop, especially when you haven't done the proper research first.

Edited by Eartha

It's a known issue in the area. I'm actually surprised that others from other areas of the country to whom trackables are important or of interest are not aware of it. It seems to have gotten a little better lately although there is a reason for that. It's not something we like to talk about here...

A question for those in the area....one of my trackables disappeared a little over a year ago in Seattle....it was confirmed missing by a local and presumed to have fallen prey to the "collector". Would you folks think I should be patient and hope he eventually releases it, or do a re-release? The trackable in question is TB2QX9B

A question for those in the area....one of my trackables disappeared a little over a year ago in Seattle....it was confirmed missing by a local and presumed to have fallen prey to the "collector". Would you folks think I should be patient and hope he eventually releases it, or do a re-release? The trackable in question is TB2QX9B

Re-release after a year passes is fine. Go ahead, you can always have the re-released one recalled (or deleted from existence) should the original reappear.

Just don't do anything that would affect existing logs -- to do so, would adversely affect the stats of those that have moved or discovered the traveler. Just edit the cache page to reflect that the "new one" is a replacement for a disappeared traveler.

Admittedly, I am not from "the area", but I don't think that matters a whole lot. :)

[

Admittedly, I am not from "the area", but I don't think that matters a whole lot. :)

In this case, it does....I am fully aware that under normal circumstances a year is fine to wait for a re-release, but in this special circumstance it seems some bugs are resurfacing after well more than a year. I would prefer to have the origional bug resume it's mission if possible. Thanks for the reply however.

Still would like examples from the OP. There might be an explanation for the bugs they carried.

I spent a whole day earlier in the year going to a dozen or so caches sometimes in relatively obscure areas. All of the caches had been wiped out of trackables. The same well-known-here person had logged a number of the logbooks a number of days/weeks earlier, but had not logged the caches online. It's a pretty well known thing around here to just not bother dropping trackables any more and especially coins.

I saw the same pattern on numerous other days. It seemed the nearer to Tacoma the worse the problem in non-scientific observation.

I've taken the position recently to try to log a note for trackables reportedly in a cache that aren't there actually. At least the owner can get the satisfaction that they know not to expect to see their trackable again. Sad. Similarly I try to discover a trackable that 'is' there which I run across and don't grab to move on.

Positive feedback yay/nay certainly makes 'me' feel better on 'my' one remaining non-stolen trackable.

Now if the android app had better integration of trackables on the cache log page...but at least now I don't need a web browser to log the trackable stuff. Small steps in the right direction.

Edited by vds

A travel bug hotel called seatac plane exchange was raided by a geocacher travel bug collector calling himself *removed by moderator* and has taken all the TB's in the Cache, I called him out cause he has over 17000 TB's logged. all I have to say is *** this guy and others like him are taking the fun out of geocaching for me and my family!

*removed by moderator*

Just hold on there! Before you go accusing someone of thievery, please do a little research!!!

This cacher releases the trackables, does not hoard them, and just happens to be a prolific trackable mover. Posting to forums, and trying to give this guy a bad name can only result in you possibly losing your geocaching account, so cut it out, and please cease and desist doing this, and if you can edit any of those posts you posted in other forums, it would be wise to do so. It is not up to you to be the TB cop, especially when you haven't done the proper research first.

Thank you, Eartha.

Unfortunately, the exact same post appears, unedited, in the Obituary thread:

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=64708&st=550&p=4868369entry4868369