Puzzle and Multi Caches

Cissy PSP

First, I apologize for asking about a topic that must have been covered a million times. But, quite honestly, reading guidelines and searching the forum for answers boggles this old brain. I just need an answer simply put. My old brain can't seem to obsorb the technicalities explained in the guildlines

Question: Regarding putting out multi caches: If a CO puts out a multi caches that containes, for example, 4 stages. Only the last stage containes the cache and log book (of course), can another CO put a traditional cache anywhere near any of those 4 stages of the other CO's multi? Or does the traditional have to be .1 or more away from any of the 4 stages of the multi? Since the stages (not the final stage) is not visible when I use my smartphone to see if any other caches would be too close for me to place one, how can I know before I try to get it publshed? I got turned down because my traditional was too close to a stage of a multi. I had to go back out and retrieve my traditional.

Second question: Same for puzzle caches. Since the final of a puzzle is not visible when trying to place, for example, a traditional, how can one know if the area is not too close to that final ahead of time? I ask because I tried to publsh a trad, but was told it would be too close to a final stage of a puzzle. I didn't have a clue because I can't "see" there was a final stage of a puzzle too near by.

I use my smartphone to determine distance from a cache already placed and that method works great except that since puzzles (most of them) are too difficult for me to solve, therefore, I don't know where the final stage is.

I just wish Groundspeak would let us be able to place like a trad near invisible multi stage and puzzle caches.

Anyway, hope my questions are too jumble :blink:

Question: Regarding putting out multi caches: If a CO puts out a multi caches that containes, for example, 4 stages. Only the last stage containes the cache and log book (of course), can another CO put a traditional cache anywhere near any of those 4 stages of the other CO's multi? Or does the traditional have to be .1 or more away from any of the 4 stages of the multi?

There are two kinds of stages for multi-caches: virtual and physical. Virtual stages use information that already exists on site (information on a sign, number of posts, etc.). Physical stages are ones that the hider creates (containers, tags attached to a post, etc.). Nobody, including the cache owner, is allowed to put a traditional cache within .1 miles of any physical stages of a multi-cache. There is no such restriction regarding virtual stages. (Note: Within a single multi-cache, there is no limit on how close the various stages can be to one another.)

Since the stages (not the final stage) is not visible when I use my smartphone to see if any other caches would be too close for me to place one, how can I know before I try to get it publshed?

Options:

1. Go do the multi-cache yourself, and make note of where each physical stage is located. Don't place your traditional within .1 miles of any of these.

2. Contact the multi-cache owner, explain the situation, and ask if they can email you the coordinates of their physical stages. Some might decline to provide this information, and they have every right to do so. Some might provide it as a courtesy.

3. Select a location for your traditional. Before you actually place it, however, send an email to your local reviewer asking them to perform a "proximity check" for that location. They can tell you if you are within .1 miles of any multi-cache stage or puzzle final. If you are too close, they probably can tell you approximately how far you are from the problem, but they cannot tell you the exact location of the problem.

By the way, there is a suggestion on the Feedback Forums asking Groundspeak to provide some sort of "Is this area free?" function that hiders can use to determine if a particular location is far enough away from multi-cache stages and puzzle finals. It is under review.

Second question: Same for puzzle caches. Since the final of a puzzle is not visible when trying to place, for example, a traditional, how can one know if the area is not too close to that final ahead of time?

Same options as above.

Guidelines, 1.1. Fundamental Placement Guidelines

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=304

Knowledge Books, 4.8. Checking for Cache Saturation

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=199

Ok, like I said, I have read the guidlines, but the confusion still exists. For example, I have C & P a paragraph that tells me it's OK to publish a cache NEAR the stages of someone's multi or am I interpreting this wrong? Here's the quote:

"If you see any physical cache within .10 mi (528 ft or 161 m) of your proposed new cache, your cache is unlikely to be published. Some multi-caches start with virtual stages, and you may be able to place a physical cache near these caches. A reviewer will be able to help you with this query (see below)."

It would appear to me that I CAN place a cache near a STAGE of a multi that does not contain a physical cache, yet I can't publish. I just don't get it I guess lol

Any traditional cache, or any physical stage of your multi or puzzle cache must be at least 528ft from any other cacher's trad or any physical part of their multi/puzzle stages.

How can you know beforehand where these other hidden physical stages might be?

You can't... unless you've done the other cache yourself.

If you suspect that there could be hidden stages nearby from some other cache, what you have to do is set up a 'skeleton' page for your planned multi cache, including all the waypoints for your planned physical stages. (No need to pretty it all up and add all the descriptive details at this point.)

Then send this skeleton cache page through to your local reviewer with an added 'Note to Reviewer' saying something like, "NOT FOR PUBLICATION. Please do a preliminary review of my proposed locations for proximity issues."

The reviewer will then be able to use their reviewing 'tools of the trade' to check and let you know. They won't tell you any exact locations of other cachers' stages (for obvious reasons) but here in UK they usually try and assist by saying something like, "Your 3rd stage has a proximity conflict with cache GC*****. You'll need to move your stage further SW..."

MrsB :)

Question: Regarding putting out multi caches: If a CO puts out a multi caches that containes, for example, 4 stages. Only the last stage containes the cache and log book (of course), can another CO put a traditional cache anywhere near any of those 4 stages of the other CO's multi? Or does the traditional have to be .1 or more away from any of the 4 stages of the multi?

There are two kinds of stages for multi-caches: virtual and physical. Virtual stages use information that already exists on site (information on a sign, number of posts, etc.). Physical stages are ones that the hider creates (containers, tags attached to a post, etc.). Nobody, including the cache owner, is allowed to put a traditional cache within .1 miles of any physical stages of a multi-cache. There is no such restriction regarding virtual stages. (Note: Within a single multi-cache, there is no limit on how close the various stages can be to one another.)

Since the stages (not the final stage) is not visible when I use my smartphone to see if any other caches would be too close for me to place one, how can I know before I try to get it publshed?

Options:

1. Go do the multi-cache yourself, and make note of where each physical stage is located. Don't place your traditional within .1 miles of any of these.

2. Contact the multi-cache owner, explain the situation, and ask if they can email you the coordinates of their physical stages. Some might decline to provide this information, and they have every right to do so. Some might provide it as a courtesy.

3. Select a location for your traditional. Before you actually place it, however, send an email to your local reviewer asking them to perform a "proximity check" for that location. They can tell you if you are within .1 miles of any multi-cache stage or puzzle final. If you are too close, they probably can tell you approximately how far you are from the problem, but they cannot tell you the exact location of the problem.

By the way, there is a suggestion on the Feedback Forums asking Groundspeak to provide some sort of "Is this area free?" function that hiders can use to determine if a particular location is far enough away from multi-cache stages and puzzle finals. It is under review.

Second question: Same for puzzle caches. Since the final of a puzzle is not visible when trying to place, for example, a traditional, how can one know if the area is not too close to that final ahead of time?

Same options as above.

Herin lies the confusion for me. I was turned down for publication because my traditional was place too close to a stage of a multi, not the physical final. See what I mean? Crap lol! Thank you for your time and expertise. :) Much appreciated!

Herin lies the confusion for me. I was turned down for publication because my traditional was place too close to a stage of a multi, not the physical final.

In addition to the final stage, earlier stages can be "physical" stages as well. If Stage 1 is film canister that contains the coordinates for Stage 2, then nobody can place a cache within .1 miles of that film canister. If Stage 2 is a metal tag that the cache owner hung on a fence, then nobody can place a cache within .1 miles of that tag. If Stage 3 is a historical plaque that the town erected, then it's a virtual stage and it's okay to place a cache as close as you like to that plaque (as long as no other cache or physical stage is within .1 miles of it).

Edited by CanadianRockies

Options:

Same options as above.

That would be great. Thank you!

This is a great idea...particularly for hiding an urban cache. I do most of my hides on trails in hiking county parks, which means that are hiking caches. Once I make a hike to a good spot, I'd like to be able to place it then. Otherwise, it would take another hiking trip to go back to place. I don't mind maintaining my caches hidden on long trails b/c it's not done that often. Anwyay, another great stuggesion! Thank you!

Herin lies the confusion for me. I was turned down for publication because my traditional was place too close to a stage of a multi, not the physical final.

In addition to the final stage, earlier stages can be "physical" stages as well. If Stage 1 is film canister that contains the coordinates for Stage 2, then nobody can place a cache within .1 miles of that film canister. If Stage 2 is a metal tag that the cache owner hung on a fence, then nobody can place a cache within .1 miles of that tag. If Stage 3 is a historical plaque that the town erected, then it's a virtual stage and it's okay to place a cache as close as you like to that plaque (as long as no other cache or physical stage is within .1 miles of it).

Ahhhh, that helps a lot! Thank you! So a physical stage is necesary a cache that holds a log but if it holds coords to the next step, then it's considered a physical. Ok, makes sense. I was turned down as the mult stage was a canister that contained coords for next stage. I had solved that multi, so I knew what is was. I figured because it didn't contain a log, then it wasn't physical. Thank you!!!!! much clearer now....at least for ahile heheh :rolleyes:

Any traditional cache, or any physical stage of your multi or puzzle cache must be at least 528ft from any other cacher's trad or any physical part of their multi/puzzle stages.

How can you know beforehand where these other hidden physical stages might be?

You can't... unless you've done the other cache yourself.

If you suspect that there could be hidden stages nearby from some other cache, what you have to do is set up a 'skeleton' page for your planned multi cache, including all the waypoints for your planned physical stages. (No need to pretty it all up and add all the descriptive details at this point.)

Then send this skeleton cache page through to your local reviewer with an added 'Note to Reviewer' saying something like, "NOT FOR PUBLICATION. Please do a preliminary review of my proposed locations for proximity issues."

The reviewer will then be able to use their reviewing 'tools of the trade' to check and let you know. They won't tell you any exact locations of other cachers' stages (for obvious reasons) but here in UK they usually try and assist by saying something like, "Your 3rd stage has a proximity conflict with cache GC*****. You'll need to move your stage further SW..."

Thank you, MrsB! Awesome reply and great help! Much appreciated!

MrsB :)

If the stage of a multi is a virtual. In case of a puzzle the cords listed for the puzzle are virtual and placed at random. Your cache could be placed near these locations. But stages of a multi can be a problem. If in fast the stage your location is near is a virtual such as a sign that is used to calculate the next stage's cords then it might be able to get approved so long as the reviewer agrees its a virtual and your cache can go there.

Yes the stages of multis and finals of puzzle caches do present a problem when trying to place your own cache. You can either find all the multies and puzzles near your proposed location, contact the owners of the cache to ask if your proposed location sits inside of the .1 mile guideline of any stages of there caches or just ask your local reviewer if the proposed place is clear of all surrounding caches.

Don't feel bad for something you could not have known. You have been told you are to close to a puzzle cache so now its time to find a new location or see if can figure out which direction your cache needs to move and how far to make it publishable. I suggest contacting the owner of the puzzle for the information about moving your cache to a publishable location far enough away from there final.

EDIT: Had this thread up on my screen for quite a while before i could get around to entering my response. So i'm too little to late. LOL

Edited by mpilchfamily

The day they implement that you could easily triangulate the position of the final to any multi/puzzle

If the stage of a multi is a virtual. In case of a puzzle the cords listed for the puzzle are virtual and placed at random. Your cache could be placed near these locations. But stages of a multi can be a problem. If in fast the stage your location is near is a virtual such as a sign that is used to calculate the next stage's cords then it might be able to get approved so long as the reviewer agrees its a virtual and your cache can go there.

Yes the stages of multis and finals of puzzle caches do present a problem when trying to place your own cache. You can either find all the multies and puzzles near your proposed location, contact the owners of the cache to ask if your proposed location sits inside of the .1 mile guideline of any stages of there caches or just ask your local reviewer if the proposed place is clear of all surrounding caches.

Don't feel bad for something you could not have known. You have been told you are to close to a puzzle cache so now its time to find a new location or see if can figure out which direction your cache needs to move and how far to make it publishable. I suggest contacting the owner of the puzzle for the information about moving your cache to a publishable location far enough away from there final.

EDIT: Had this thread up on my screen for quite a while before i could get around to entering my response. So i'm too little to late. LOL

Not too little too late at all. Any and all input only helps me to better understand the process. I thank you so much!! When responders actually take the time to write a lot of detail/explanation, that is so cool by me! It truly helps old ladies like me ;D lol

The day they implement that you could easily triangulate the position of the final to any multi/puzzle

There ya go! Thank you!

There ya go! Thank you!

That's not a good thing.

*** Edit to add that an automated way of doing that is not a good thing. Asking your reviewer is fine. They're not going to allow you to triangulate by asking a bunch of times.

Edited by GeoBain

Puzzles are a tiny bit easier to figure out than multi-caches in terms of proximity. The final to a puzzle must be within two miles of the coords listed on the page, so at least the proximity problems are limited to a two-mile radius. In my area, usually a puzzle final is located pretty close (half mile or less) to the coords listed on the page...so if I see a puzzle cache listed in the middle of a street near a big park, I can pretty much bet that the final will be somewhere in that park.

Multi-caches don't have this two-mile restriction, but around here, frequently there's only .1/mi. or so between stages on a multi. So if I see a multi that begins at the edge of a forested area, I can bet the stages and the final will be somewhere along a trail through that forested area. Sometimes the description will give you a good idea of whether an area is already "taken" by the multi (if the description says it's five stages and the park isn't all that big, there's probably no room left for a traditional).

The thing that I've come up against a lot lately is when I find a great location for a new geocache, far enough away from all the others (at least I hope there's no puzzle final too close) and I walk up to the spot where I want to hide the cache, there's already a letterbox there. :D We must think alike. (Not that I can't put a geocache near a letterbox, but I like to give them their space.)

First, I apologize for asking about a topic that must have been covered a million times. But, quite honestly, reading guidelines and searching the forum for answers boggles this old brain. I just need an answer simply put. My old brain can't seem to obsorb the technicalities explained in the guildlines

Question: Regarding putting out multi caches: If a CO puts out a multi caches that containes, for example, 4 stages. Only the last stage containes the cache and log book (of course), can another CO put a traditional cache anywhere near any of those 4 stages of the other CO's multi? Or does the traditional have to be .1 or more away from any of the 4 stages of the multi? Since the stages (not the final stage) is not visible when I use my smartphone to see if any other caches would be too close for me to place one, how can I know before I try to get it publshed? I got turned down because my traditional was too close to a stage of a multi. I had to go back out and retrieve my traditional.

Second question: Same for puzzle caches. Since the final of a puzzle is not visible when trying to place, for example, a traditional, how can one know if the area is not too close to that final ahead of time? I ask because I tried to publsh a trad, but was told it would be too close to a final stage of a puzzle. I didn't have a clue because I can't "see" there was a final stage of a puzzle too near by.

I use my smartphone to determine distance from a cache already placed and that method works great except that since puzzles (most of them) are too difficult for me to solve, therefore, I don't know where the final stage is.

I just wish Groundspeak would let us be able to place like a trad near invisible multi stage and puzzle caches.

My answer is that is a hassle since I don't do puzzles which sometimes involve computer programming knowledge. It involves just archiving your cache or try to email the other CO about it.

Either way...it is a hassle...

Puzzles are a tiny bit easier to figure out than multi-caches in terms of proximity. The final to a puzzle must be within two miles of the coords listed on the page, so at least the proximity problems are limited to a two-mile radius. In my area, usually a puzzle final is located pretty close (half mile or less) to the coords listed on the page...so if I see a puzzle cache listed in the middle of a street near a big park, I can pretty much bet that the final will be somewhere in that park.

Multi-caches don't have this two-mile restriction, but around here, frequently there's only .1/mi. or so between stages on a multi. So if I see a multi that begins at the edge of a forested area, I can bet the stages and the final will be somewhere along a trail through that forested area. Sometimes the description will give you a good idea of whether an area is already "taken" by the multi (if the description says it's five stages and the park isn't all that big, there's probably no room left for a traditional).

The thing that I've come up against a lot lately is when I find a great location for a new geocache, far enough away from all the others (at least I hope there's no puzzle final too close) and I walk up to the spot where I want to hide the cache, there's already a letterbox there. :D We must think alike. (Not that I can't put a geocache near a letterbox, but I like to give them their space.)

Oh, a couple of great points! I did a multi one time that had 4 stages. All were close and in walking distance easily. I like those :) Thanks very much for your response!

My answer is that is a hassle since I don't do puzzles which sometimes involve computer programming knowledge. It involves just archiving your cache or try to email the other CO about it.

Either way...it is a hassle...

Exactly my sentiments. I don't do puzzle because my mind doesn't work in that direction. I wish I could enjoy them, but alas.............

Thanks!

Here's a link to the knowledge books article:

Checking for Cache Saturation

I think the ideas presented in the article have already been mentioned here, but I didn't see a link.

But I do have one quibble:

The final to a puzzle must be within two miles of the coords listed on the page, so at least the proximity problems are limited to a two-mile radius.
Not necessarily. First, there are still older caches published before the guidelines mentioned anything about the distance between the posted coordinates and the final location. Those puzzle caches have been grandfathered with their original posted coordinates.

Second, the guidelines use the word "should", not the word "must". There are newer caches where there is a good reason for the posted coordinates to be further than 2 miles from the final location. This includes (but is not limited to) puzzle multi-caches, which are listed as mystery/puzzle caches (because of the puzzle aspect), and which can have several stages that eventually take you several miles from the first stage.

At the risk of both going off the original topic AND opening a can of worms, no one has yet been able to explain to me why, as a puzzle cache owner, I should care how someone solves my puzzle cache.

People will seek out whatever method they enjoy the most for finding a cache. If that means spending weeks working on it, asking a previous finders, asking me, going with someone who solved it, or playing battleship with an automated coordinate checker...whatever.

At the risk of both going off the original topic AND opening a can of worms, no one has yet been able to explain to me why, as a puzzle cache owner, I should care how someone solves my puzzle cache.

People will seek out whatever method they enjoy the most for finding a cache. If that means spending weeks working on it, asking a previous finders, asking me, going with someone who solved it, or playing battleship with an automated coordinate checker...whatever.

Boy, I wish I had the ability to solve puzzle caches. I am amazed at the minds of puzzle cache CO's. Phenomenal stuff....I have solved a few "easy" puzzles, but most are just beyond me. No worms here, Dan! :rolleyes:

You left out brute-forcing them. :blink: I've done that to a few...

Here's a link to the knowledge books article:

Checking for Cache Saturation

I think the ideas presented in the article have already been mentioned here, but I didn't see a link.

But I do have one quibble:

The final to a puzzle must be within two miles of the coords listed on the page, so at least the proximity problems are limited to a two-mile radius.
Not necessarily. First, there are still older caches published before the guidelines mentioned anything about the distance between the posted coordinates and the final location. Those puzzle caches have been grandfathered with their original posted coordinates.

Second, the guidelines use the word "should", not the word "must". There are newer caches where there is a good reason for the posted coordinates to be further than 2 miles from the final location. This includes (but is not limited to) puzzle multi-caches, which are listed as mystery/puzzle caches (because of the puzzle aspect), and which can have several stages that eventually take you several miles from the first stage.

I see, good point. The link you provided does have great information. I do that all the time. It's the "invisible" stages that mess me up...particularly puzzle caches which I don't have the ability to solve 95% of them. That's just me.

Edited by CissyPSP

that would be the death blow for puzzle owners. some of these take months to put together.

that would be the death blow for puzzle owners. some of these take months to put together.

As I said earlier, I am amazed at the puzzles out there. Figuring them out takes a long time, let alone the CO's ability just to present them. Amazing!

I would argue that if you don't care, then there's no reason why you should care.

But some owners of puzzle caches do care. And I think it's okay for them to care without first convincing you that you too should care.

I would argue that if you don't care, then there's no reason why you should care.

But some owners of puzzle caches do care. And I think it's okay for them to care without first convincing you that you too should care.

I'm not asking to be convinced of anything, nor am I trying to convince anyone.

I realize there are people out there who feel differently than I do about the matter and I'd like to try and understand their mindset in case I am missing something.

Believe it or not, there are some of us on the forums who actually like to try and learn from other cachers rather than just spouting our opinions.