Watchers on New Cache

Quixotic Prof

So, I submitted my very first cache. Immediately after doing so, I returned to the cache page and posted a log entry describing the original contents. Then, I also realized that I should go back and release a newly created TB that was also placed there. Finally, I set the cache site and the TB on my watch lists (these are all firsts for me). Checking back on my work, I noticed that the cache had been approved!! Wow. Certainly less than 30 minutes from my original posting. Oddly, though, the cache site already had 3 accounts watching it. How can that be? Or, why would that be? By posting the cache, am I automatically put on the watch list, hence I am now on it twice? Or, did the approver put him or herself on the watch list? Who else would have had time or even cared?

Thanks,

jf

quote:
Originally posted by Quixotic Prof:

Who else would have had time or even cared?

You'd be surprised. A while back there was a... "feature"... that let you see not-yet-approved caches if you knew how. People would "check the queue" and add caches to their watch lists or even hunt them before they were approved. (In other words, yes, some people have the time and the inclination to watch a new cache that quickly... ever seen slashdot.org and the "first post" crowd there?)

[[[ ClayJar Networks ]]]

Home of Watcher downloads, Official Geocaching Chat, and the Geocache Rating System

quote:
Originally posted by Quixotic Prof:

Finally, I set the cache site and the TB on my watch lists (these are all firsts for me). Checking back on my work, I noticed that the cache had been approved!! Wow. Certainly less than 30 minutes from my original posting. Oddly, though, the cache site already had 3 accounts watching it. How can that be?

It is not necessary (or desirable) to add your own caches to your watch list. As the owner, you will automatically get notifications of cache or tbug activity.

And remember that cache approvers are almost always cache hunters as well, and your approver may be in your area. That could account for at least 1 quick response.

3608_2800.gif

What about the possibility that the approver is watching? If it's a really cool cache that s/he approved (are there female approvers?), they just might want to watch it for a while.

Also, there are those out there that constantly troll the area to see the latest placed caches and then run out to be the first finders. I'm never surprised by people watching a cache.

Markwell

Chicago Geocaching

Watchers on New Cache

From personal experience, I can say, some approvers like to watch interesting Geocaches for a while. I personally like to watch Puzzle Caches to see how quickly people figure them out and find them.

~ncflyers~(ADMIN)

"Edison Medicine": Anything that brightens your day is a good thing!

icon_wink.gificon_wink.gif