GeoCache code format GCxxxxx..

Crypticus

I have just got started at GeoCaching and have an EtrexH to which I have been downloading sites.

Just noticed that the EtrexH only stores GCxxxx NOT GCxxxxx in Waypoints so common groups are not stored for when I want to GOTO. (ie GC1KWRx are only saved as one waypoint) Am I missing something - is there a way of storing all 7 characters?

You might be able to use a program like GPSBabel (free) or GSAK (not free but more powerful) to make GPX files from whatever files you download and limit the name to 6 characters. The trick is, if there are a bunch of similarly named caches, it may be hard to tell which one is which unless you have other info on hand. (Like printed out cache pages/maps/etc.)

If your GPS will show the comment field, that would probably help. Other users may have other ideas how to get around the 6 character limitation.

Personally, I think the best thing would be a better GPS if and when you can, but that's just me and I wouldn't buy that particular GPS even if I found it really cheap. :)

As everyone is saying, GSAK is probably the best answer, but I would tell you to use the %SMART tag in GSAK, then you get a 6 character short name, too short to get the full name in, but it gives you enough that you will probably recognize the name, where just stripping the gc code leaves what amounts to random characters with no meaning for most people.

GPSBabel knows that if the input is from a geocaching-y type of format that the GC is the first to go if the output target has limits. It also has smartname generation and code that will keep the waypoint unique even if the sources are all the same.

I noticed it does do that. With a 6 character limit though, it might be hard to identify which cache is which if there are multiple caches with similar names. Unless you can view the comment field where the full cache name gets stored. :)

Here are some results from a test I did showing what I mean:

One Big Smiley #15 = OnBgSm

One Big Smiley #16 = OnBg.1

One Big Smiley #19 = OnBg.2

Can be hard to tell which one is which without the comment field. If GPSBabel had used the numbers that were in the name, and which made each cache name in the series unique, that might have worked out a little easier. Example:

OBS#15

OBS#16

OBS#19

Programming it to look for unique elements in similar names might be a little tricky, but if it could go through the list of caches in alphabetic order, that might help. (Though there you might have issues with 10 coming between 1 and 2, so that's not really a perfect fix.)

Can be hard to tell which one is which without the comment field. If GPSBabel had used the numbers that were in the name, and which made each cache name in the series unique, that might have worked out a little easier. Example:

OBS#15

OBS#16

OBS#19

Programming it to look for unique elements in similar names might be a little tricky, but if it could go through the list of caches in alphabetic order, that might help. (Though there you might have issues with 10 coming between 1 and 2, so that's not really a perfect fix.)

GSAK, with the use of 'Smart Names' will allow you to make your own name, them name the series as above.

I have no idea if this will help or not, but have you tried updating the firmware on your GPS? You never know, but they may have updated the software to accept the 7-digit GC codes on geocaching.com.

Here is a link for the software updates for the eTrex H: https://buy.garmin.com/shop/store/downloadsUpdates.jsp?product=010-00631-00&cID=144&pID=8705

In any case, it's a good idea to update the software every once in a while.

For information on how to check which version you are running, you should consult your owner's manual. If you didn't get one with the unit, they can be found online here: https://buy.garmin.com/support/manuals/manuals.htm?partNo=010-00631-00

Otherwise, you will need to use GSAK as others have mentioned. I'd suggest just dropping the "C" from the GC code.

Good luck.