Geologic 'challenges'

AZcachemeister

This is where a challenge to find an EarthCache from each category could be issued. Geoaware or TPTB would have to create it as it would be a world wide challenge.

Actually, this is rather seen as achievement by Jeremy and not as a challenge.

Cezanne

tomāto / tomăto. ;) But the guy with the website gets to make the rules.

I'm still confused :unsure:

Me too Daniel. :ph34r:

About what?

In any case, the challenges could be used by those for whom the WOW factor is more important than the learning aspect of Earthcaches and who want to ask for a mandatory photograph. What is missing is however the control over the logs and the challenge listings are restricted in length.

Cezanne

So far I've been really impressed with earthcaches. They provide a lot of interesting information. That's why I'm getting into them. As I understand it, it takes much work to create and have an earthcache published. Strict guidelines and reviewers.

I cam only hope that any geological challenges will have the same quality as the earth cahes I have done, and plan to do. If not, I'll skip them.

I'm still confused :unsure:

Me too Daniel. :ph34r:

About what?

In any case, the challenges could be used by those for whom the WOW factor is more important than the learning aspect of Earthcaches and who want to ask for a mandatory photograph. What is missing is however the control over the logs and the challenge listings are restricted in length.

Cezanne

I'm more confused!

Speaking of the WOW factor, a brief informal survey done by and with our local cachers indicates that the WOW factor in the MOST (maybe only) important factor while seeking earthcaches! Like it or not, take it or leave it, that's the fact! We also believe that one can easily extrapolate those results from our local environment to the earthcaching community at large. What do you think the thread "1000 Earthcaches to see before you die" is based on? Oh sure, it's based on the TOP geological lesson learned! If you believe that, we have a 1000 acres of National Forest to sell ya! :ph34r:

Speaking of the WOW factor, a brief informal survey done by and with our local cachers indicates that the WOW factor in the MOST (maybe only) important factor while seeking earthcaches! Like it or not, take it or leave it, that's the fact!

I was not referring at all to what I like or do not like. I just mentioned that challenges offer a chance to direct people to geological WOW places without the need to ask any question at all and with the possibility to ask for mandatory photos (something some cachers would like to do). That's a new option.

Cezanne

Edited by cezanne

Speaking of the WOW factor, a brief informal survey done by and with our local cachers indicates that the WOW factor in the MOST (maybe only) important factor while seeking earthcaches! Like it or not, take it or leave it, that's the fact!

I was not referring at all to what I like or do not like. I just mentioned that challenges offer a chance to direct people to geological WOW places without the need to ask any question at all and with the possibility to ask for mandatory photos (something some cachers would like to do). That's a new option.

Cezanne

I know that these new challanges will be used by some to direct cachers to some geological WOW factor places. I'm already listing some on hiking trails in our local National Forests. Sure these sites would make great EC's, actually some sites are listed EC's. I was told in the past by local ranger district supervisiors that permission is not needed for virtual listings. When I check the site now about geocaching in Jefferson NF the page is under construction, and getting a return email from Cherokee NF is seeming to be ignored. This seems to be keeping me from getting a EarthCache published. So why not list it as a challange? It's much easier, and we just want that wow factor anyway.

Edit to update that the site was being updated with the new geocaching policy. http://www.fs.usda.gov/wps/portal/fsinternet/!ut/p/c5/04_SB8K8xLLM9MSSzPy8xBz9CP0os3gDfxMDT8MwRydLA1cj72BTSw8jAwgAykeaxcN4jhYG_h4eYX5hPgYwefy6w0H24dcPNgEHcDTQ9_PIz03VL8iNMMgycVQEAIzTHkw!/dl3/d3/L2dJQSEvUUt3QS9ZQnZ3LzZfME80MEkxVkFCOTBFMktTNTlIMjAwMDAwMDA!/?recid=34864&actid=103&cid=null&navid=110250000000000&ss=110804&ttype=activity&navtype=BROWSEBYSUBJECT&pnavid=110000000000000&position=BROWSEBYSUBJECT&pname=Cherokee+National+Forest+-+Geocaching+%26+Letterboxing

Edited by Manville Possum Hunters

So far I've been really impressed with earthcaches. They provide a lot of interesting information. That's why I'm getting into them. As I understand it, it takes much work to create and have an earthcache published. Strict guidelines and reviewers.

I cam only hope that any geological challenges will have the same quality as the earth cahes I have done, and plan to do. If not, I'll skip them.

I somewhat doubt that will be the case. I can see geologic challenges being set up by the people that don't want to do all the work to create an EarthCache. It's much easier to say "Hey this is cool - go here and take a pic". Then again, sometimes it's tough to come up with a unique lesson at a site such as a waterfall, but you still want people to be able to see it. Making it a challenge cache would be the perfect way to do that.

I can see geologic challenges being set up by the people that don't want to do all the work to create an EarthCache.

Not necessarily. One could still offer a detailed description, but put the focus on a photo proof instead of on educative questions.

If they will open up challenges to non PMs at a later time, offer control over the description to challenge owners and allow longer

descriptions (what I do not expect to happen), I might consider coming up with a geological challenge.

The main advantage for me would be that I could circumvent the language guidelines for Earthcaches.

Some others are not happy with the fact that Earthcaches should not contain a homework component, others would prefer to be able to

ask for mandatory photographs and still others have an issue with asking for permission.

So there could be many reasons for deciding for a challenge and against an Earthcache.

Cezanne

Edited by cezanne

I somewhat doubt that will be the case. I can see geologic challenges being set up by the people that don't want to do all the work to create an EarthCache. It's much easier to say "Hey this is cool - go here and take a pic". Then again, sometimes it's tough to come up with a unique lesson at a site such as a waterfall, but you still want people to be able to see it. Making it a challenge cache would be the perfect way to do that.

Some of the challange can be getting there to the geologic feature. Waterfalls are a perfect example. I'm sure that some will be lazy and not try to develop a EarthCache, but that leaves room for someone to try and get a EC published at the site if it is worthy of a geology lesson. And some like me will create EC's and challanges at our EC's, or other listed EC's we visit. I won't create a photo challange that I don't do first and post the example.