Area Challenges

wjgrun

I don't think I like the idea of these counting as finds, but I can see some of them being good/fun..

Challenge searching doesn't seem to work so well (I tried to find challenges in NJ/NY).. I created an one in Ramapo Reservation.. Here's the link:

http://www.geocaching.com/challenges/view.aspx?cx=CXB9

Maybe we could post other challenges here until the challenge search function works better..

Bill

Edited by wjgrun
Then I saw how pathetic the entire concept is. So I deleted it. I want no part of this drivel.

If completed challenges didn't count towards your find count, I might hate them less.

"take a picture of a pet", "send me a pathtag", "take a picture of lightning", "take a picture of a beer" -- are you kidding me, what do these have to do with geocaching (yes, all of those are real challenges, and that was the complete extent of the challenge)?

I'm tired.. I bet I can get credit for completing a challenge by taking a nap..

Bill

Edited by wjgrun

Well, I create done. Then I saw how pathetic the entire concept is. So I deleted it. I want no part of this drivel. Don't think I'll even try to kiss a frog. (Okay. That's because the challenges area frezes up my cmputer, and I have to reboot to start over.)

Agree, same here. I clicked through a challenge, created one of my own ... and then went back to delete everything. What a monumental waste of space, armchair caching at its best. I bet by writing this post, I have completed at least three challenges, albeit without knowing ("sit in front of your computer", "listen to music", "have a beer").

Gimme a clanky rusty ammo can at the far end of a 10mi trail any day. Facebook sillyness and associated geotagging has already been invented. I don't get why Groundspeak aims to imitate, particularly not given the looong list of feature requests that really make sense. Sounds like they should get their butts off the boardroom chairs and go caching for a week, instead of listening to marketing drones touting the virtues of what was probably sold as "highly innovative cloud-based interactive social networking challenges" or some such blah.

Gimme a clanky rusty ammo can at the far end of a 10mi trail any day.

This is why I only have maybe 4 finds in the past 6 months. Instead of smilies, have been collecting patches!

- Catskills 3500

- Catskills 3500 Winter

- AMC NH4000

Currently working on AMC NE4000 and Long Path :)

Much more satisfaction with completing a REAL challenge.

Much more satisfaction with completing a REAL challenge.

Roseanne Barr : A real man is one who can look a 30 year mortgage in the face without crying

Having been away for a week, and having concentrated caching activities on virtuals, in Gettysburg, Washington ,Baltimore and environs I have a newly enhanced interest in the genre of webcams, virtuals , earth caches, as there were so many wonderful ones to do.

Seeing this challenge alternative does not generate,for me, any interest whatsoever. I sggest that our local organization poll it's members for some feedback and supply it to Groundspeak for their benefit. So far I have seen precious little positive feedback. I rather doubt however that our local organization will break from it's tradition of silence as it respects issues Germaine to the enhancement of the game.

I am going to give it a try, and I believe that I will be able to come up with some that approximate the virtual caches of old. I have just issued the first.

I saw that one and liked it. I think that is the sort of challenge that Groundspeak had in mind when they hatched the idea. The ones that Wjgrun mentioned will probably be deleted (if they aren't already) because they are not location based. Challenges are supposed to be similar to virtuals in that you have to go somewhere specific and do something.