Anyone got a new Etrex on order?

I don't think they have shipped yet. But with that said they look really cool. My only beef with the eTrex 20 is the price. The MSRP is $199 which is very close to the Dakota 10/20 which has many more features. I think at $125-$150 it would be a perfect fit.

I wouldn't rely on that MSRP much. I have the current Etrex Legend HCX which I think has an MSRP of about $240. You can get them brand new all day for under $200. I would imagine the true price point will be somewhat less than what the website suggests.

...My only beef with the eTrex 20 is the price. The MSRP is $199 which is very close to the Dakota 10/20 which has many more features.
Explain the logic underlying that conclusion, please? Going by MSRP alone (not street prices, as the eTrex 20 & 30 are not shipping yet), these are considerably cheaper than the Dakotas and compete nicely on features.

The eTrex 20 competes most directly with the Dakota 10; the eTrex 30 with the Dakota 20, point for point:

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/compare.do?cID=145&compareProduct=30926&compareProduct=30925&compareProduct=87774&compareProduct=87771

The eTrex will the choice for someone who doesn't want a touchscreen. And in other ways it's really better than the Dakota series: Better battery life, more memory, more waypoint storage.

Edited by Portland Cyclist

I don't think they have shipped yet. But with that said they look really cool. My only beef with the eTrex 20 is the price. The MSRP is $199 which is very close to the Dakota 10/20 which has many more features. I think at $125-$150 it would be a perfect fit.

Tim,

I was interested in the Dakota, but when I checked them out at the local Bass Pro I found I don't like them. I love my touch screen Nuvi, but the little munchkin touch screens on Dakotas don't appeal to my big fingers. Plus, it reminded me of a potato for some reason. Taters don't feel right in a shirt pocket. :)

The eTrex will the choice for someone who doesn't want a touchscreen. And in other ways it's really better than the Dakota series: Better battery life, more memory, more waypoint storage.

Like I told Tim, I don't like the tiny touch screen potatoes. If the new etrex can do what the early specs say (paperless, custom maps, onboard memory), make alert noises (like my 60csx) and have a wake up alarm (like my 60csx doesn't) then I will be looking for one come the holidays. The advertised battery life is another huge plus.

...potatoes...
The eTrex is only slightly smaller than the Dakota and the thickness is pretty much the same. Might still feel like a potato to you.

It's not really the potatoyness of it's appearance.:) It's too smooth. Like I-phones. I'm checking out a friend's new I-phone at work. Thing is slick as a whistle and expensive. Can just see myself easily dropping it. From the pics I've seen the new Etrex is bumpy. My old Legend and 60csx have traction bumps too.

Tim,

I was interested in the Dakota, but when I checked them out at the local Bass Pro I found I don't like them. I love my touch screen Nuvi, but the little munchkin touch screens on Dakotas don't appeal to my big fingers. Plus, it reminded me of a potato for some reason. Taters don't feel right in a shirt pocket. :)

Thats good. I always recommend going to the store to check them out first. Same holds true with the new eTrex units. I'm sure I will pick up at least one just to test it out and give it away if I dot like it. Testing it out in the store is always better than just buying blindly online.

Tim,

Thats good. I always recommend going to the store to check them out first. Same holds true with the new eTrex units. I'm sure I will pick up at least one just to test it out and give it away if I dot like it. Testing it out in the store is always better than just buying blindly online.

I'm not a Garmin guy but if you give it away I'll take it!!!