Bought new GPS and now very lost

TheWildVs

I am hoping someone can help me! I have spent all day trying to figure all this out!

My kids and I have been geocaching with our phones and finally decided to buy a "real" gps unit since we are about to go on vacation.

The guy at the store went on and on about how wonderful and easy the Dakota 20 is and how awesome it would be for us since we wanted paperless caching etc etc etc. He had us convinced that this thing is the best and easiest thing for us to be geocaching with.

Now I may be a complete moron - but we have wasted a whole day trying to find even one cache. yes it took me the first half of the day to get it registered and figure out how to load the caches on it from here. finally got some loaded and it looked like we were ready to go. packed up and headed out. we hit the lets go button and THERE ARE NO ROADS on the dang thing. I can see a highway but then NOTHING between the hiway and the cache....and its miles and miles! (we are not in the city caching by the way - we live out in the country so we thought we would start out here)

am i missing something here?? is the gadget smarter than i am??? or did i really just pay over $300 for something and now i have to spend $130 more on maps???????

please help if you can!!!

The Dakota 20 is actually a very decent unit for caching, but one thing you need to understand is that most handheld GPS units only come with the most basic of base maps installed. It will have the major highways and waterways and that's about it. It's not designed for driving directions primarily. You would have to install the detailed topo maps of the area you will be caching in.

Garmin sells the detailed topographic maps you would need (the salesperson really should have pointed this out, if he knew his stuff), or you can get them free from some online sites like gpsfiledepot.com.

Or you can use your phone for driving directions til you reach a parking spot, then use the GPS for hiking to the cache itself. That's what I end up doing most of the time...the little screen on my Garmin is not really great for driving directions, nor was it really designed for this purpose.

Hmmm well nevermind...i posted this a couple weeks ago - it just showed up - and I already returned the crappy GPS unit!

Nothing crappy about it. Decent little unit, actually. Also very easy to load caches - just slide the unzipped PQ into the right folder and you're done.

As for maps - per above - your expectations were out of line. You could have had free maps for it, too. It's a shame you didn't wait. You'd have enjoyed that unit.

Hmmm well nevermind...i posted this a couple weeks ago - it just showed up - and I already returned the crappy GPS unit!

You gave up too soon on a really good unit. Sorry i didn't see this thread a couple of weeks ago. Ussually i see Dakota related threads and jump on them right away.

The Dakota can be used as a car nav unit if you have routable maps installed. Such as Garmin's Street Nav maps. I own a Dakota 10, it cam e with a hike and bike pack which included the street nav maps. But i then went to GPSFieDepot to get a good topo map of my area. As mentioned you will find this same issue with most other hand held units. Unless you get a unit with a T designator in the name meaning it comes with the maps. But your paying extra for that package. DeLorme units on the other hand are pre loaded with some pretty good maps.

Most hand held units are better suited to take you from the trail head/ parking location to the cache. I use my Nuvi 1300 car nav unit to get me to the parking location the break out my Dakota 10 to get me to GZ. You could use your phone to drive you close to the cache then the GPSr to get you to GZ.

Too bad you gave up on it so quickly. Also, too bad you paid over $300 for it, as it's available for much less. And, the maps are not $130. The Garmin maps can be found for much less than that, plus there are free maps available. I have a D 20 and it's great, and it only cost $200. The Garmin map was about $70, and I got a topo map for free.

Can't help impossible expectations, no metter how much you might want it there is no device in the world that can hold good maps of everywhere on it, so Unless they are going to sell a zillion regional versions, it's best to load the maps you might want on it. For example I doubt elk migration routes as recorded by radio collars (an actual mapset installed on my garmin) does much good for Geocaching or road driving. Learn a bit before you prove your ignorance.

Can't help impossible expectations, no metter how much you might want it there is no device in the world that can hold good maps of everywhere on it, so Unless they are going to sell a zillion regional versions, it's best to load the maps you might want on it. For example I doubt elk migration routes as recorded by radio collars (an actual mapset installed on my garmin) does much good for Geocaching or road driving. Learn a bit before you prove your ignorance.

A little harsh, don't you think?

I have felt your frustration, trust me. I went through a lot of growing pains trying to figure out what to do while using pamphlet-like manuals, etc. Now, I'm fairly comfortable with my Garmins and I've received a lot of help and support from forum users along the way. It's true about the basemaps, they're very basic...okay for off road use but when driving to the cache, you'll need another map. I'm not hugely technical so I bought City Navigator North America NT on a Micro SD card ($75) and it works like a champ. I recently purchased the Garmin Oregon 450 ($299) and I took advantage of Garmin's rebate on that GPSr ($50) which is on until Oct. 15, 2011, and I've just now been e-mailed that the cheque is in the mail. I really think you should try again. As frustrating as it might be initially, and despite the shortcomings you endured, you'll soon come to enjoy using one of these great handhelds. I simply can't see myself geocaching without it.

Now I may be a complete moron - but we have wasted a whole day trying to find even one cache. yes it took me the first half of the day to get it registered and figure out how to load the caches on it from here.

Well, you said it, so I won't... :laughing:

And, while "nice to know type info", you do not need maps to simply find a cache. Just follow the arrow and watch the distance tick down. Use your eyes to see what's up ahead and don't rely on a topo map on some tiny screen. Deviate around obstacles, if required, and get back on track (follow arrow again) once clear.

Figure out another way to maneuver your vehicle to where you're going to park and proceed on foot. A dedicated road nav device like a Nuvi is the most logical solution. They're cheap these days, ya know...and come with maps...