stats page questions

CacheMonkeez

quote:
Originally posted by Team Hammack:

Either I don't understand how the stats page works or it's not counting properly:

1. geocaching.com says I have 70 finds while the stats page has me down for 63

2. I changed my display name in midstream - would that mess it up?

3. I resubmitted logs multiple times - nothing changed.

Please educate me on how this page works.

Thanks

The name change is what's fouled it up.

ntga_button.gifweb-lingbutton.gif

Also, I was told that logs for a virtual or locationless cache would appear for the state in which the coordinates are listed on the web page, i.e. the owner's home state. If you look for your Florida stats, it may not show the other states or countries. I haven't been able to verify this, however.

The only thing that will show on the stats are for your own states only, that would include any virtual and any regular caches you found in another state.

Also the stats page seems to be very slow about updating it's info. I am mising a few from my own state but so what? I really don't care about numbers, I do it (caching) as a distraction anyway.

Slow. I have seen the page show finds within minutes of posting them. I have also seen them take a couple of days to show up.

It doesn't matter if they were posted on the same day either.

The site is inaccurate anyway. The owner of the stats site said it went down sometime in December. Any caches posted during that time did not show up. The only way to fix the missing data is to input it manually. I'm sure there's alot of data for the entire country. I haven't heard any updates since.

geomark8.gif

If you do not extend your expectations unto others, you will not be disappointed by the stupid things they do.

Mokita!

My understanding of the way the stats page works, which may be wrong, is that it looks at the Recently logged visits page available from the main geocaching.com. When it sees a log, it goes to the appropriate cache page. It looks at all of the logs on that cache page and updates its database as necessary.

The page on geocaching.com only updates every 15 minutes. At busy times, like Sunday evenings, it sometimes doesn't list every log made to geocachi

ng.com,

so the stats page misses it. However, the stats page will eventually pick up the old log the next time someone makes a log to that cache.

You can manually have the stats page review a cache page and therefore get any logs it is missing, by clicking on the Missing Log link on the stats page and filling in the information. The only problem I have noticed is that it will not pick up logs on archived pages, even using the missing logs page. That is the reason, for example, that my count on the stats page is 4 below the count on geocaching.com. I know Dan would update it for me, since he has always been very helpful in the past. However, I hated to bug him when he was still trying to recover from the downtime, etc.

Alchemist2000

ntga_button.gif

update: Hmmm...before someone points that I can not do subtraction, there is now actually a difference of 6 rather than 4. The stats page apparently missed 2 recently logged caches. I will track them down and see if they will update.

[This message was edited by alchemist2000 on January 25, 2003 at 07:34 AM.]

quote:

update: Hmmm...before someone points that I can not do subtraction, there is now actually a difference of 6 rather than 4. The stats page apparently missed 2 recently logged caches. I will track them down and see if they will update.

Even with all of my fumbling around, it took only about two minutes to get it fixed....all of which was me finding the right cache and right page. The stats page did the update instantly.

As you can probably tell, I think this is a really wonderful page. Since I live in a metropolitan area included on the stats page (Dallas/Fort Worth), I love being able to go to this page and see what other people have been doing in the area on any given day. It includes not only the finds, but also the not founds. Those are often more interesting! icon_wink.gif

Alchemist2000

ntga_button.gif

Here's what's happening: I changed my display name and now the stats page logs me with both names sometimes, my old names sometimes, and other times with only my new name. So the count for both the old and the new name are wrong.

What's funny is why it would pick my old name one time and my new name the next time and then both names other times.

I'd rather have NO data than wrong data.

And I've tried using the MISSING LOG function...several times. It has never updated correctly.

quote:
Originally posted by alchemist2000:

My understanding of the way the stats page works, which may be wrong, is that it looks at the http://www.geocaching.com/seek/recent_logs.asp page available from the main geocaching.com. When it sees a log, it goes to the appropriate cache page. It looks at all of the logs on that cache page and updates its database as necessary.

The page on geocaching.com only updates every 15 minutes. At busy times, like Sunday evenings, it sometimes doesn't list every log made to geocachi

ng.com,

so the stats page misses it. However, the stats page will eventually pick up the old log the next time someone makes a log to that cache.

You can manually have the stats page review a cache page and therefore get any logs it is missing, by clicking on the Missing Log link on the stats page and filling in the information. The only problem I have noticed is that it will not pick up logs on archived pages, even using the missing logs page. That is the reason, for example, that my count on the stats page is 4 below the count on geocaching.com. I know Dan would update it for me, since he has always been very helpful in the past. However, I hated to bug him when he was still trying to recover from the downtime, etc.

Alchemist2000

http://www.ntga.net

[This message was edited by alchemist2000 on January 25, 2003 at 07:34 AM.]

[This message was edited by Team Hammack on January 27, 2003 at 07:03 PM.]

[This message was edited by Team Hammack on January 27, 2003 at 07:03 PM.]

quote:
Originally posted by Team Hammack:

What's funny is why it would pick my old name one time and my new name the next time and then both names other times.

And I've tried using the MISSING LOG function...several times. It has never updated correctly.

The MISSING LOG function will only add missing logs - it will not delete logs. It also keys on the User ID.

Most likely, the website picked up most of your original logs the first time. Then, you changed your user ID. The website automatically picked up any new logs under the new ID. Then, you used the MISSING LOGS function, which picked up logs for the new user ID for the caches you entered WITHOUT deleting the old logs for the old user ID.

My solution would be to pick a single user ID and stay with it. Figure out which logs are missing for THAT ID. Use the MISSING LOGS function to update those logs, then email Dan and explain what happened. Have him delete ALL logs for the old ID. Then, don't change your ID again.

ntga_button.gifweb-lingbutton.gif

Let me clarify a couple things:

1. I did not change my userid, only my display name.

2. The MISSING LOGS function did not pick up any changes - it did nothing to the counts on either my old or new display name.

3. I've sent 2 emails to Dan and have heard nothing back.

4. The stats page continues to log finds under old name, new name or both names, randomly it seems.

quote:
Originally posted by Web-ling:

The MISSING LOG function will only add missing logs - it will not delete logs. It also keys on the User ID.

Most likely, the website picked up most of your original logs the first time. Then, you changed your user ID. The website automatically picked up any new logs under the new ID. Then, you used the MISSING LOGS function, which picked up logs for the new user ID for the caches you entered WITHOUT deleting the old logs for the old user ID.

My solution would be to pick a single user ID and stay with it. Figure out which logs are missing for THAT ID. Use the MISSING LOGS function to update those logs, then email Dan and explain what happened. Have him delete ALL logs for the old ID. Then, don't change your ID again.

http://www.ntga.nethttp://www.web-ling.com