Signature Item

The Three Harrell's

I'm not a fan of business cards in caches, they can get quite cluttersome.

I'd also advise strongly against using vistaprint. Remember the old adage that if something seems too good to be true, then it probably is? Ask yourself why vistaprint would want to give everyone free business cards at their own expense... then marvel as their small print signs you up to "vprewards" - a way to get discounts in a few places, for just £9.95 per month.

Think of the conditions a cache is subjected to. A business card won't last long in a cache unless you keep it in the bag with the log book. But it won't stay there long. If your going to do a sig item put some good thought into it and produce something that will last. Something that can be collectable. Some Co's, like myself, like to collect the sig items from there caches. Thats how Geocoins got there start. People minted sig coins and left them in caches and people started to collect them. The GS got in the game and created tracking numbers so those coins could travel.

We've come across business cards and signature cards often enough in caches. The ones that endure the best are laminated or printed on some kind of water-proof media. Otherwise, all too often they become quite a soggy mess at the bottom of the cache As you can probably tell, their popularity does vary, but some people do collect them. Just be careful how much personal info you put on the card. I guess I wouldn't include any phone #s or even email addresses. Anyone who wants to get in touch can do so through your geocaching account name. A witty phrase or something that means something to you is always a nice touch though. You might consider developing a signature item, like a token or a crystal. There are plenty of ideas in the forums. Whatever you do, it should reflect your likes and preferences. Don't be dissuaded by someone else's like or dislikes. This is your game. :)

Thanks for the replies everyone. I used vistaprint years ago for a small business of mine, you have to read the fine print and be careful with those deals. Lifechooser you are correct, however you can choose not to take part in the $9.99 a month deal and truly get the 250 cards for free. At this point they hope you like the card and will pay for more. Unless it has changed it is still this way but it has been some time since I sold that business that I used those cards for.

I saw a bunch of business cards in caches yesterday and thought it was cool. It is best to keep your personal info off of things like that, I agree. What do you guys recomend for a sig item? The geo coin thing is just one coin correct? My thoughts were you would leave something meaningful in each cache you visit so how would that work? Is there a company that produces many of the same coin and if so they cant be affordable. I know there is poker chip companies that can produce custom chips. Obviously no money values or anything just a poker chip size sig item, this would work wouldnt it?

Again thanks for all of the help as I am new and trying to learn from people who have walked this path before me. In the future I hope to pass on the knowledge that I am learning now. Please keep this discussion going, I want to make this item soon. Thanks.

Scott

Thanks everyone for all of the great ideas. I really like the wooden nikel idea, found a cool site that does custom work. I have not had time to look at the cost though, will check tonight and let you know what I found out.

I am definately leaning away from the cards now. I am also going to check the poker chip sites tonight. Thanks again.

Scott

Well, I decided on the wooden nickel, pretty awesome idea. I wanted to put the logo on side two but wow there is a bunch of stuff I need to do if I want to use it and royalty's to pay if I buy more than 25. Oh well, I understand fully as the logo is protected. The help I have recieved has been second to none from the site here and I appreciate it, just not ready to do all that right now. I cancelled the order and I am going to re-design a new one. I would like to just put the web address (www.geocaching.com) on the nickel but I am not sure if I can do that either.

Anyway, when I get it all straight I will post a picture.

Scott

Well, I decided on the wooden nickel, pretty awesome idea. I wanted to put the logo on side two but wow there is a bunch of stuff I need to do if I want to use it and royalty's to pay if I buy more than 25. Oh well, I understand fully as the logo is protected. The help I have recieved has been second to none from the site here and I appreciate it, just not ready to do all that right now. I cancelled the order and I am going to re-design a new one. I would like to just put the web address (www.geocaching.com) on the nickel but I am not sure if I can do that either.

Scott

Wooden nickels are much easier to make yourself and cheaper too. You can buy blank nickles by the dozen for a few bucks at arts-n-crafts stores.

Print your logo on paper (backwards), lay the paper on the nickle face down, then use some sort of solvent (I forget the chemical name, I use goof-off) on a rag to rub the paper. The logo bleeds onto the wood.

There are much more comprehensive instructions around here somewhere. I will look for them.

Scott

Wooden nickels are much easier to make yourself and cheaper too. You can buy blank nickles by the dozen for a few bucks at arts-n-crafts stores.

Print your logo on paper (backwards), lay the paper on the nickle face down, then use some sort of solvent (I forget the chemical name, I use goof-off) on a rag to rub the paper. The logo bleeds onto the wood.

There are much more comprehensive instructions around here somewhere. I will look for them.

My understanding (limited, I admit) is that both the GC logos and the words "www.geocaching.com" are not permitted. Create a logo that represents you/your interests on one side, and as someone else has said, a witticism on the other. Anyone else remember the old graffiti "Kilroy was here" :blink: (in Britain anyway). Something like that... The 3Harrell was here!!!!! :ph34r:

My sig item is pictued as my avatar in this post. It is a deer antler that I slice and then write my name on it and GC.com. I then put a clear coat of varnish over it until I think it is thick enough. I then braid a nice key chain and it is finished. Everyone I have met really likes it. I have even been given pathtags and such for them. I only leave them in caches that I really, really, like. So yes I am all for personalized sig items. Especially handmade ones.