login ID vs. Team Name

tomowens

We first started GeoCaching in 2002 when I first heard of it. It seems that back then We were able to use a 'Team Name' which was different than my current login ID.

We were using the name of 'Raiders of the Lost Park'.

We have just recently started playing again after too many years of inactivity and I can not seem to find any reference to our team name anywhere on the site now. Has this just gone away sometime in the past nine years?

-Tom

Father of the founding member of team Raiders of the Lost Park

We first started GeoCaching in 2002 when I first heard of it. It seems that back then We were able to use a 'Team Name' which was different than my current login ID.

We have just recently started playing again after too many years of inactivity and I can not seem to find any reference to our team name anywhere on the site now. Has this just gone away sometime in the past nine years?

-Tom

I found THIS profile under the name you gave.

It is possible that if you signed up for an account, and didn't find or hide any caches for several years, someone else could have requested the name for themselves and permission was granted.

-Tom

It is possible that if you signed up for an account, and didn't find or hide any caches for several years, someone else could have requested the name for themselves and permission was granted.

My post didn't translate well.

What I meant to say was that if you created an account, NEVER found or hid ANY caches, and were inactive for several years...THEN the account name could have been given over to someone else.

If indeed you did make some finds, your account (theoretically) is impervious to take-over.

Are you sure you have the name EXACTLY right? Any extra spaces, spelling or punctuation variances will make a difference.

Maybe I can clarify my confusion a bit.

Old found caches are still logged to my username.

I may be just wrong, but I thought that there used to be a way to join several individual members into a team of a common name. Does anyone remember anything like that or am I just imagining it?

Raiders of the Lost Park, I think, was my son, my wife, my friend Dan and me.

It may be that there used to be an alias that I could assign to my profile so the Raiders thing would show up instead of my account name?

It's not a big deal, just wondering if I remember that correctly or not.

Thanks!

-Tom

How 'bout that. But we're not in Australia.

Edited by tomowens

If an account is set up, and verified, Groundspeak will not let anyone else use the name.

So, if you were 'Raiders of the Lost Park' no one else can have the name... There may be an issue with use caps... (I think there was a case similar, somewhere on the forums, a while ago)

Another option is: Did you use space/no space between the words, or underscore?

'RaidersOfTheLostPark'

'Raiders_of_the_Lost_Park'

Or do you just have a good imagination, but a really bad memory? :laughing:

:D

Maybe I can clarify my confusion a bit.

Old found caches are still logged to my username.

I may be just wrong, but I thought that there used to be a way to join several individual members into a team of a common name. Does anyone remember anything like that or am I just imagining it?

Raiders of the Lost Park, I think, was my son, my wife, my friend Dan and me.

It may be that there used to be an alias that I could assign to my profile so the Raiders thing would show up instead of my account name?

It's not a big deal, just wondering if I remember that correctly or not.

Thanks!

I wasn't geocaching in 2002 so I don't know what you could do then with your account. What you do *now* is use an alias when placing a cache that is different from your account name when filling out the "Placed By" field when submitting the listing. If you and someone else want to hide a cache together you can use an alias which represents a "team" but the cache would still be owned by however submitted the listing and you can't use an alias for your account that would show up in Found it/DNF, etc logs.

That is the most likely scenario. It's obvious from my log history that the finds were logged to my username / account name. The rest may have just been talk amongst ourselves as we set out to find those few caches that existed in the area back then.

It may be against the rules, but we have been signing log books with the Raiders tag recently.

It may be against the rules, but we have been signing log books with the Raiders tag recently.

This is done fairly often when groups of cachers go out together...a 'Cache Machine' if you will.

It would be best if those logging online mention the fact, so if the CO reconciles the logbook your online log won't get deleted unfairly.

That is the most likely scenario. It's obvious from my log history that the finds were logged to my username / account name. The rest may have just been talk amongst ourselves as we set out to find those few caches that existed in the area back then.

It's OK. Lots of cachers go out in a group, sign the log as a 'team' and log under their own accounts.

Handy in small caches with small logs, as it saves paper.

Handy to say in your on line log 'Caching as part of team...'