Premium Travel Bugs

WadeCaching22

One of my favorite things about geocaching is the travel bug. While I have yet to purchase one to release into the wild, I do thoroughly enjoy finding them, logging them, and then moving them along. I especially like helping them with their mission or adding photos to the tb page that goes with the theme. With that said, I find it extremely frustrating when the majority of the caches I go to, don't have a travel bug in them. In fact, while caching a few months ago, my father-in-law went to 10 caches that supposedly had travel bugs. That day we were 0-10 in finding a travel bug. It really takes away from the sport when they are stolen and not logged so regularly.

Personally, I have decided to only release the travel bugs into premium caches. I know this sometimes can take a little longer to find a cache for a bug, but I figure that if you are a premium member, you are less likely to steal a bug.

While going through the forums, I see a lot of people frustrated over the theft of their travel bugs. I wonder if this would be a good strategy to pass on to premium cachers. I don't think it should be a rule by any means, but if the majority of premium cachers deployed this strategy, it would result in the travel bugs surviving longer.

What do my fellow cachers think of this strategy? For all I know, this has been proposed many times before. I just thought it might be something to get out there in the public forum. If it becomes a strategy, we may see a lot more travel bugs and even premium caches. It would also be another benefit of becoming a premium member.

That is all I had to say. Thanks for reading and happy caching!

Wadecaching22

You have a (fairly) sound strategy -- the one big problem with it is: once you place it into a cache, you have relinquished any and all control. From that point on, control is in the hands of those moving the traveler.

You can ask, request or even demand whatever you want, but it is unlikely that many (if any at all) will follow your instructions. That's just the way it is......

Wish that I could have given you better encouragement. :huh:

This is the best strategy.

Choose a traveler that is noncollectable as possible. Ugly bugs live longer.

Make sure the traveler can stand up to harsh conditions.

Choose a mission that is less about the direction it goes and more about the finder sharing the experience. If the finder has to decide if they will be 'heading east' any time soon just to move your bug they probably won't pick it up. On the flip side if your mission is to 'just move from cache to cache' the finder doesn't have much incentive to assist your bug and might just to decide to place it whenever they can get to it. If you can grab their interest they'll be more likely to move it along.

Include a laminated mission tag so the finder knows in the field what you expect from them.

Include clear logging instructions.

Use a strong cable to secure the traveler, dogtag and mission tag together

Release the bug and forget about it. If you hear from it once every three months, it's doing just fine.

I like the basic idea. I'm not sure how many premium caches are in our area and if they are big enough to fit a TB.. but i understand it's frustrating. I use a TB Safe house program via my magazine subscribers that we trade TB's directly, travel around with them for awhile, then move them on to the next subscriber.. it protects some of our bugs.. but i also release one's into the wild..

Cheers

This is the best strategy.

Choose a traveler that is noncollectable as possible. Ugly bugs live longer.

Make sure the traveler can stand up to harsh conditions.

Choose a mission that is less about the direction it goes and more about the finder sharing the experience. If the finder has to decide if they will be 'heading east' any time soon just to move your bug they probably won't pick it up. On the flip side if your mission is to 'just move from cache to cache' the finder doesn't have much incentive to assist your bug and might just to decide to place it whenever they can get to it. If you can grab their interest they'll be more likely to move it along.

Include a laminated mission tag so the finder knows in the field what you expect from them.

Include clear logging instructions.

Use a strong cable to secure the traveler, dogtag and mission tag together

Release the bug and forget about it. If you hear from it once every three months, it's doing just fine.