PQs and Android phone

Ok, I don't have a computer so I create PQs equaling 2000 caches and load it onto my GPS the normal way. My GPS can accept an SD card.

I have an Android phone. I made a PQ using my phones browser, and saved it to the SD card. Using Astro File Manager I can unzip and see that the .gpx file is saved to the SD card.

Next, I move the SD card from my Android into my Garmin. I expect to be able to see the PQ I saved to the card but the Garmin show them not.

What am I doing wrong here? Why isn't my Garmin seeing the .gpx files that I saved to the SD card?

Put the unzipped PQ .gpx files in the root directory of your uSD card. I do it when the phone is usb connected in "disk drive" (usb mass storage) mode.

Then fire up the gc app, go to MENU -> Settings -> "Search for GPX files on the SD Card".

It will take a while to parse it, but let it sit. When it finishes, you'll find the data under "Offline Lists" on the main screen of the app.

Ooops. Reading comprehension problem here. I was describing how to read them on the Android, totally missed the fact that the issue is on the Garmin. I agree they need to be in Garmin/GPX, but they CAN be on the uSD card as long as you create those directories.

I don't know how to use Astro or how to do this without a computer, sorry.

Thanks guys. I'll give that suggestion a try in the AM! Would be great to not have to find computer internet access.

It works just fine, I did it a few times on my phone when I forgot to load some PQ before heading out, heh. The biggest "problem" is that the Android system leaves all kinds of junk on the SD card after it ran on it. Not a problem per se, but being obsessed with data as I am, I had to clean it off the card right after getting home :P

I found another way to get PQs loaded onto my GPS using my phones internet. I can create a PQ using my phone and download the PQ onto the memory card.

Then connect my phone to a computer in mass storage mode and unzip and drop and drag into Garmin from there. It's faster than switching out memory cards.

Edited by SeekerOfTheWay

I found another way to get PQs loaded onto my GPS using my phones internet. I can create a PQ using my phone and download the PQ onto the memory card.

Then connect my phone to a computer in mass storage mode and unzip and drop and drag into Garmin from there. It's faster than switching out memory cards.

Can't you just download the PQs on the computer and save all that trouble? Even if that computer doesn't have internet: use the phone's internet on the computer.

Can't you just download the PQs on the computer and save all that trouble? Even if that computer doesn't have internet: use the phone's internet on the computer.

I'd have to either pay VZW $30/month to tether, or get a tethering app for free and hope VZW doesn't catch me tethering free.

I have tried EasyTether and it works well. But I don't want to use so much data on my phone that my account is flagged for data throttling.

I like seeing the bird. :)

He's on my shoulder right now. We just finished a little preening session, he has new feathers coming in all over and needs help with the ones on the back of his head and neck. Normally their mates do that for each other, but for almost 20 years I've been his mate, so it's my job now. ;-)

I'd have to either pay VZW $30/month to tether, or get a tethering app for free and hope VZW doesn't catch me tethering free.

I have tried EasyTether and it works well. But I don't want to use so much data on my phone that my account is flagged for data throttling.

Oh, I never knew some carriers would limit the tethering, I thought that was an Apple thing. Guess I got lucky then, cause I'm free to use it :)

Oh, I never knew some carriers would limit the tethering, I thought that was an Apple thing. Guess I got lucky then, cause I'm free to use it :)

Yeah. Tether is another monthly fee. Expensive too.