Geocaching with Garmin eTrex, Netbook & GSAK

We're trying to move my friend GeoLund to a netbook / Garmin eTrex Legend / GSAK combination. We've got things pretty well set up and working, but we have one or two things we'd like it to do, and suspect it can... we just don't know how.

1) We'd like to have a map with all the caches in an area, that also shows us where WE are on the map, using our plugged-in Garmin

2) I think we found the best answer to the second question ourselves, but we're open for input. We want to see the map with ALL the caches at the same time, instead of just one at a time. We found a add-in for GSAK that seems to do the trick.

So... how can we get the Garmin to tell the map and the map to show us where WE are?

Thanks!

Mrs.Hoagie and GeoLund

We're trying to move my friend GeoLund to a netbook / Garmin eTrex Legend / GSAK combination. We've got things pretty well set up and working, but we have one or two things we'd like it to do, and suspect it can... we just don't know how.

1) We'd like to have a map with all the caches in an area, that also shows us where WE are on the map, using our plugged-in Garmin

2) I think we found the best answer to the second question ourselves, but we're open for input. We want to see the map with ALL the caches at the same time, instead of just one at a time. We found a add-in for GSAK that seems to do the trick.

So... how can we get the Garmin to tell the map and the map to show us where WE are?

Thanks!

Mrs.Hoagie and GeoLund

I believe you can do that with a program such as Microsoft Streets and Trips, and Google Earth appears to be able to do so as well.

I believe you can do that with a program such as Microsoft Streets and Trips, and Google Earth appears to be able to do so as well.

Will Google Earth (or Streets & Trips) also show all the caches? Or is there a macro for GSAK that will give all the caches on the map at once like the macro we loaded last night, AND put US on the same map?

Thanks!

with gsak you can go to file then down to export, then either gps/loc. or microsoft streets and trips text file, all depending on the year of s&t you have.

After loading the file open s&t if its a text file go to data click on import data and go from there.

For gpx files click on import gpx files, this info comes from 2010 S&T.

I'm not sure about 2009, but 2008 and older go to data click on import data and go from there.

Hope this helps

edit to add you can do this with a single pq or multi pqs

Edited by vagabond

I think you keep saying 'the map' when you really mean 'A MAP'...is that correct?

Almost any mapping program (I'm aware of) can interface with a GPSr, and many can get waypoints generated for them from GSAK.

My favorite products are by DeLorme, but Streets & Trips works fine too. I would suppose any mapping product from one of the GPSr manufacturers would work also.

I would suggest the addition of one little element that will make things easier, and that is a dedicated wired or Bluetooth GPSr 'puck' to interface with the netbook. Disconnecting the eTrex when you get out to look for the cache can cause mapping programs to freeze-up requiring at least a re-start of the program, and sometimes the whole computer.

To use Google Earth, you would need a live Internet connection, which can be done if you have a way to tether your smartphone, or maybe a dedicated data device.

with gsak you can go to file then down to export, then either gps/loc. or microsoft streets and trips text file, all depending on the year of s&t you have.

After loading the file open s&t if its a text file go to data click on import data and go from there.

For gpx files click on import gpx files, this info comes from 2010 S&T.

I'm not sure about 2009, but 2008 and older go to data click on import data and go from there.

Hope this helps

edit to add you can do this with a single pq or multi pqs

Ah, Streets & Trips seems to cost (more) money. That's the problem - if we had more, we'd get a Droid/iPhone for this bit. <sigh>

Thanks for your input Vagabond, we'll keep an eye on old software sales.

Oops! It's an eTrex Vista HCx, not a Legend (mine at home is a Legend, but I only have my Droid with me on this trip).

Thanks again!

The particular model doesn't really matter, as they tend to all work the same.

There are macros to export to GE, or you can use the Geocaching.com KML file. However, I did a short test, and GE seems to be pretty limited on how much data it can accept from the GPS unit.

I think you keep saying 'the map' when you really mean 'A MAP'...is that correct?

Yes, any map, but we'd love it to show the caches AND us.

Almost any mapping program (I'm aware of) can interface with a GPSr, and many can get waypoints generated for them from GSAK.

My favorite products are by DeLorme, but Streets & Trips works fine too. I would suppose any mapping product from one of the GPSr manufacturers would work also.

OK, we only have Trip & Waypoint manager from Garmin, and MapSource TOPO U.S.

I would suggest the addition of one little element that will make things easier, and that is a dedicated wired or Bluetooth GPSr 'puck' to interface with the netbook. Disconnecting the eTrex when you get out to look for the cache can cause mapping programs to freeze-up requiring at least a re-start of the program, and sometimes the whole computer.

Makes sense, but for now, no new purchases.

To use Google Earth, you would need a live Internet connection, which can be done if you have a way to tether your smartphone, or maybe a dedicated data device.

OK, so that's out. Can't tether an old flip phone :(

I think we've got a reasonable solution. The largest problem is that she's seen my Droid, and really loves the easy / casual / quick geocache while you're waiting somewhere ability of it.....

But we can see US on the Garmin, and the caches on the Garmin, and the caches with loads more detail on the GSAK macro... we really do have nearly everything she wants.

Thanks for all your help!

I run the combo: GSAK, DeLorme Street Atlas USA, and an old Pocket-PC (Compaq iPaq 3970), and one of several GPSr's

It's a bit kluged, but....

GSAK for the database handing

Street Atlas for placing the cache locations onto a map

I used to have an older version that worked with it, but the newer versions seem to forget the old hardware, I had an

old version of Street Atlas that worked with the iPaq, I also had a Bluetooth GPS that would talk to it, so it worked as

a portable map. Alas, all I use it for now, is field notes. (recorded audio or typed on the screen.)

So-far, I've reduced it to the iPaq and a Magellan Explorist-GC, because of the joy-button typing of a field note kinda takes too long, so I'll leave a partial on the GC, then record or type a note on the iPaq, with the cache code as a tag.

When I get home, I'll upload the field note file from the GC, then edit each log entry with the text file off the iPaq, from a SD memory card.

Stephen (gelfling6)

For those still discussing using the GPS as a device to feed current position data to the PC's mapping software, be aware that not all devices, not even all Garmin devices, include a mode to produce the NMEA data that the mapping programs use. Just to toss out one example, the Dakota series cannot do this. So before trying to put together such a package, be certain that whichever GPS you are using is capable of this. You can be certain that a given model does provide this if, in the Garmin "Spec" tab on their site for a given product, you see "NMEA 0183 compatible" listed in the "Interface" section.

Further, if you are using a more recent unit, I've found that the old Garmin "Spanner" program disconnects frequently and without warning. I've found that GPSGate is rock solid and is now free for private use.

I've found that GPSGate is rock solid and is now free for private use.

Do you have a link? All I can find on their website is a 14day free trial.

While the download page has never been updated, the old 14 day free trial is now no longer trialware. If you start at their home page http://gpsgate.com you see that there is no longer a time limit on personal use of the product - and it's head and shoulders more reliable than the Garmin product for their own devices!

I've found that GPSGate is rock solid and is now free for private use.

Do you have a link? All I can find on their website is a 14day free trial.

While the download page has never been updated, the old 14 day free trial is now no longer trialware. If you start at their home page http://gpsgate.com you see that there is no longer a time limit on personal use of the product - and it's head and shoulders more reliable than the Garmin product for their own devices!

Ah, thanks.