Delorme PN40 Problem

There is a series of caches for WV that I am having trouble loading. There are 12 caches for the Explore WV challenge. I can load one of those caches then when I load the 2nd one it overrides the first one I loaded. I can load other caches to the GPS but not these. I can load them into my Garmin but not into the Delorme. I have searched forums at Delorme and on this site for this problem but cannot find anything pertaining to this problem. I really don't want to reset the GPS as I have almost 600 caches loaded and just had to do that recently for a different problem. Have only had this GPS for a couple months and am getting very frustrated. Any ideas as to what is causing this?

Thanks for any help I can get. Don't understand a lot of terminology so speak slowly please. Hard to teach Old Dogs new tricks you know.

BTW I have tried to load them as a group from a query download from GASK but that didn't work either. It still only loaded one of them.

Thanks

w

I cannot concur, with certainty, that it is a DeLorme PN-40 problem as might be inferred from the topic title.

I was able to successfully load the description of GC2RR55 onto my PN-40 using the Send to GPS button.

It could be suggested that other elements involved in the process be investigated.

Note, I did not use GSAK.

I cannot concur, with certainty, that it is a DeLorme PN-40 problem as might be inferred from the topic title.

I was able to successfully load the description of GC2RR55 onto my PN-40 using the Send to GPS button.

It could be suggested that other elements involved in the process be investigated.

Yes I can load each one but it overrides the one I loaded before. I loaded all 12 of them, thinking they were loading properly only to find that only the last one I loaded was actually on the GPS So, I tried it again and loaded another one and once again only the last one loaded showed up.

Yes I can load each one but it overrides the one I loaded before. I loaded all 12 of them, thinking they were loading properly only to find that only the last one I loaded was actually on the GPS So, I tried it again and loaded another one and once again only the last one loaded showed up.

I just tried loading these (download to GPS) over the lunch hour and experienced exactly what you describe. I can zoom the GPS to the state of WV and as I load one cache, the other disappears. The only other cache from your list that shows up on the PN-40 is the last one (GCRNG6) ... which falls in Western Tennessee. This is very odd and I don't have the answer but I'm going to be fiddling around with this weekend and hopefully find out where the problem might be.

Wish me luck!

PandA

Roger that; however, it still does not appear to be an issue that a modification to the PN-40 will solve.

My further testing included three of the WV caches noted above and three in my local area. The results point the finger at the geocache descriptions themselves.

1. Example geocaches provided above were the 1st, 2nd and 4th examples listed. When I used the Send to My GPS function, my results were identical to those noted in the OP's first post: only the last example was retained while the first two were successfully downloaded but then eliminated at the following download.

2. Using the Send to My GPS function for three caches in my neighborhood worked as expected with all three being successfully loaded and retained on my DeLorme PN-40. These were:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=d51e3c7f-0245-4ac6-99f1-be53f93bc6e7

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=cf653313-f474-449a-9835-4e2da011075e

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=130a6d0a-233e-4586-9e80-6d96d11659bd

Conclusions:

The test load of three in my neighborhood corroborate that my PN-40 is functioning properly.

The test load of the three WV caches suggests an issue with the three WV cache descriptions.

Edited by Team CowboyPapa

Well, at least this all makes me feel better. Was thinking there was something wrong with my GPS again. At least I know its not just mine with the problem. As far as the one in TN I may have posted the wrong cache number. They are ExploreWV Main Street series. The ExploreWV Geocoin Challenge all downloaded ok. It is only the 12 for the Main Street Challenge that I am having trouble with. Kind of a pain that they won't load properly, but I guess I will get by with the old Garmin where they did load properly.

I appreciate all the time and effort all of you have put into this for me.

Thanks,

Create a bookmark and save the caches to it. Then do a pocket query from the bookmark. Use the free Cache Register program from Delorme.com site to transfer the PQ to the PN-40. On the GPSr, go to the Geocache page, click menu once, Select File/Open, then select the PQ. Now all the caches should be there.

Create a bookmark and save the caches to it. Then do a pocket query from the bookmark. Use the free Cache Register program from Delorme.com site to transfer the PQ to the PN-40. On the GPSr, go to the Geocache page, click menu once, Select File/Open, then select the PQ. Now all the caches should be there.

Thanks for the suggestion. I am not going to do that at this time as in order to download the Cache Register program I will lose all my entries on the gps. I just had to download this gps a week or so again and don't want to do this again and have to load all those caches again. I am satisfied now to know that it is not just my gps but happens on others as well. Thought it was something wrong with mine again. GRrrrr. I am not good with new technology and programs as most of the time I don't understand the technology terms so am apprehensive on loading a new program.

I am sure I am not using this gps to the great potential it has but I just don't understand all the technolgy. I use gask and don't understand all the potential of that program either but... I learn better from being shown rather than trying to read through all the info they provide. I have picked up some tips here and there but most of it I just don't understand. Like I said hard to teach OLD dogs new tricks. lol

Thanks for all your help'

Penny

This looks like a really long filename issue involving multiple caches being imported one at a time. TomToad has posted what appears to be the preferable workaround.

Another option would be to trim about 20 leading characters out of the cache names.

For instance:

"ExploreWV Main Street Challenge - Charleston West"

Could be shortened to:

"ExpWVMSC Charleston West"

This looks like a really long filename issue involving multiple caches being imported one at a time. TomToad has posted what appears to be the preferable workaround.

Another option would be to trim about 20 leading characters out of the cache names.

For instance:

"ExploreWV Main Street Challenge - Charleston West"

Could be shortened to:

"ExpWVMSC Charleston West"

Hey it worked. Thanks!!! What a pain in the you know what but I finally got all 12 of them loaded.