Not Acquiring Satelites

A couple days after an out of town event, my GPS started acting up, and soon after I was getting, at best, 40meter accuracy. Eventually it just quit altogether and would not pick up any satellites.

I'm back at home now and have been letting my GPS sit outside for awhile, got 5 satellites and an accuracy of 12 meters, but by just putting my hand over it, the GPS loses 4 sats. For some reason it seems super sensitive. I was thinking of getting it fixed, but is it really worth it? Or should I just upgrade to something newer??? I've tried resetting it, choosing a new location and other things, but nothing has worked.

I have a Garmin eTrex Legend HCx, bought it in 2009.

Any replies would be very helpful! :)

Sounds like it's time for a "hard reset". It's pretty drastic, but has been known to clear up problems just like this.

You'll have to google for the special procedure to hard reset an HCx. The answer is out there.

Good luck!

PS: Also make sure it's not in battery-saver mode.

Edited by Viajero Perdido

You know you want to upgrade Allan, just admit it and stop pretending like your gps isnt working right.laughing.gif

A hard reset on the HCx is done by holding page and holding in the click stick while turning it on. Its worth a try....... but the Montana is looking like a pretty nice upgrade. rolleyes.gif

Usually a hard reset has solved most of the problems with my 60 series. Then about 15 min+ to download a new Almanac. A couple of times I have had to down load another copy, of the same version of SW, to get them to work right.

A new unit seems work better when it knows that the owner has a backup that works.