GPS - Tips Please

I know there are lots of threads giving advice, but most seem to be US based. I am in the UK and want to purchase a first GPS for my husband. I am really lost as to whats what, so please can somebody give me some advice.

Are there any really dire GPS units that I should avoid?

Thank you in advance.

A Garmin, your gps needs to have Sd slot, long battery life, depending on your budget, Etrex ***, Oregon, 62 Series, Montana(trail AND automotive)

Do not buy with build in Topo's, so called T models.

Altimeter, you don't really need, compass you can buy for cheap, so if you find a cheaper model, remember this.

Nuvi models are cheaper, but they lack to many feature for "on the trail".

If you buy maps, from Garmin CN Europe (A > B routing = navigation), or free maps from Open Street Map = OSM (routing maps also)

So called garmin lifetime maps is not a good deal in my opinion, especially because the free maps are improving by the day.

Don't buy a GB Topo map from Garmin they ARE BAAAAAAAAAAAAAD, see free Topo's @ http://talkytoaster.info/ukmaps.htm

*** Etrex new model coming out any day now.

Go to an outdoor shop to actually see the screens of different Gps models, do not buy because the vendor says so.

Better come back 10 > 20 times on this forum and ask again, the why and because.

My main question when someone inquires about a GPS is what features are you looking for or are interested in and what is your budget?

Most people don't know what features they want or need.

That's why it's so difficult.

Agreed. I think until you ascertain the intended purpose you don't know what features people will want/need.

We can assume that someone posting here wants to use the unit for caching, but that isn't always the case. Even if the unit is for caching, it comes down to "what type of caching?"

Someone who wants to do mountain hiking will want different features than someone who wants a GPS that does primary duty as an automotive unit but will then get them to a cache in a city park.

And, after that CFT is right -- once you know the intended use the second question becomes budget. $$$ will determine which specific models to focus on.

Same answer as before.

The models given will cover all your needs.

Do you (he) likes with or without outsticking antenna, 62 series outsticking

Non outsticking antenna . Etrex Dakota, Oregon, Montana

Small to big screen Etrex, Dakota, Oregon, Montana , 62 medium screen

Touch screen New Etrex?? Dakota, Oregon, Montana , 62 buttons

For boating you need waterproof

See garmin.com (on the trail section), mapping models

Edited by splashy

Thanks, sorry for the stupid questions.

The only stupid question is the one you don't ask, and everyone else won't ask, because they think it's a stupid question! :D

Most of us here will answer the same questions over and over again, so long as it's not asked several times in the same week. (In which case we will point you to the relevant thread!)

I'd be tempted to look at the Paperless options.

Do you require maps? (Free UK maps are available, which may tide you over until you save more money)

Do you have access to a PDA? That may get you Paperless abilities, without getting a paperless GPS.

Worth looking out for an event locally, and meeting cachers Face to Face, and trying out a GPS in-the-hand, and getting a users viewpoint on the kit. (Although most are biased towards the kit they have!)

I am in the UK and want to purchase a first GPS for my husband.

Has he expressed an interest in any of them?

Is it worth giving him a voucher/the money and letting him make his own decision? (And putting more money in himself, if he wants The one with all the bells and whistles!)

Edited by Bear and Ragged

Thanks, sorry for the stupid questions.

The only stupid question is the one you don't ask, and everyone else won't ask, because they think it's a stupid question! :D

Most of us here will answer the same questions over and over again, so long as it's not asked several times in the same week. (In which case we will point you to the relevant thread!)

I'd be tempted to look at the Paperless options.

Do you require maps? (Free UK maps are available, which may tide you over until you save more money)

Do you have access to a PDA? That may get you Paperless abilities, without getting a paperless GPS.

Worth looking out for an event locally, and meeting cachers Face to Face, and trying out a GPS in-the-hand, and getting a users viewpoint on the kit. (Although most are biased towards the kit they have!)

I am in the UK and want to purchase a first GPS for my husband.

Has he expressed an interest in any of them?

Is it worth giving him a voucher/the money and letting him make his own decision? (And putting more money in himself, if he wants The one with all the bells and whistles!)

Thanks, he hasn't a clue what he wants and always relies on me to do the research for any new product he is buying, last year he wanted a new mobile and decided to buy it while I was out gardening, he has regretted that phone ever since.