Best Advice for First Trip Out

SpartanRT

Good morning all!

As a new member here and to the geocaching community in general, I have an easy question for all of the veterans out there to answer...

What is the single most amazing piece of advice you can give to someone for their first trip out into the world of geocaching? (Let's say they are heading out on Thursday... With a Magellan eXplorist GC we'll say... :smile:)

After looking through many of these forums, I'm sure I'll get some great answers... Thanks!

Good morning all!

As a new member here and to the geocaching community in general, I have an easy question for all of the veterans out there to answer...

What is the single most amazing piece of advice you can give to someone for their first trip out into the world of geocaching? (Let's say they are heading out on Thursday... With a Magellan eXplorist GC we'll say... :smile:)

After looking through many of these forums, I'm sure I'll get some great answers... Thanks!

Easy........... Have Fun! Get Lost! Don't worry about the small stuff.

Experience is the best teacher -- well.... a professional caching guide just might help.

I have the same Gps as you do and I find that the compass is a pain over the map so I don't use it. I just use the map. Now one thing I learned was to start with caches that are a 1/1 or 1.5/1 to find so that I would at least hopefully find it. When you get near the GZ start thinking where would I hide this. Look for things that are out of place or different. Remember also that they may not be on the ground. Look up, and in holes in trees. The biggest thing as everyone else said is to have fun going to places you may have never been to if it hadn't been for geocaching. Good Luck and hopefully you will find what you go looking for.

What is the single most amazing piece of advice you can give to someone for their first trip out into the world of geocaching?

The SINGLE most amazing piece of advice is............ Don't forget where the closest ice cream joint is. A fudge sundae, after a day of caching, is a great way to relax. :lol:

I have the same Gps as you do and I find that the compass is a pain over the map so I don't use it. I just use the map. Now one thing I learned was to start with caches that are a 1/1 or 1.5/1 to find so that I would at least hopefully find it. When you get near the GZ start thinking where would I hide this. Look for things that are out of place or different. Remember also that they may not be on the ground. Look up, and in holes in trees. The biggest thing as everyone else said is to have fun going to places you may have never been to if it hadn't been for geocaching. Good Luck and hopefully you will find what you go looking for.

I would just reemphasize this as well. Nothing builds confidence like being able to find the first few you go out looking for, particularly if you are out in the woods for geocaching. As you start to get an idea of how to search around for caches and likely hiding places, you will find it easier when you move on to harder caches. Though some people are just naturally skilled at finding things, and this might not be necessary for you. Best of luck in your hunt, welcome to the hobby/obsession. :)

#1. Read the entire cache page before deciding whether or not this is "the one.

By reading the entire page, you will note:

a) the cache difficulty. You want to start with something easy.

b. the location. You may want to keep it close to home, with familiar terrain.

c) the log history. It tells you if it has been found recently.

d) the log comments. It often provide extra clues. Look for "QEF" = quick, easy find.

e) the log photos. More clues.

f) the attributes. Stay away from snakes, bugs, poison oak.

Edited by FolsomNatural

Staying away from snakes is no problem for sure... One of the things I hate most!

I have thought of a question... Is there a way to make a route out of caches? Say for instance I wanted to follow a trail... Is there a way to set it up to hit each one in order along the trail, or do I just figure by the next closest one? I understand pocket queries and already sent some.

Thanks so much for all the great advice! :D