I didn't see them find it.

I saw some geocachers yesterday searching a bench.

The first thing that bothered me about them was that they were stretched out under the bench with their legs on the sidewalk, not caring that little old ladies were having to step over them. They were talking loudly about the cache and attracting lots of muggle attention.

I decided to be stealthy myself, and didn't introduce myself. I just sat down on the next bench and pretended to be enjoying the view.

I kept one eye on them, and I did not see them grab the cache, did not see them unroll the log.

Once they got in their car and left I moved over to their bench, grabbed the cache, and unrolled the log to sign it. Nope, they aren't on it. I know this because there are only about 3 other sigs in this log and they are all from cachers I have met.

Oh well, they looked like newbs, perhaps they didn't see the nano that really does just look like a bolt, guess they dnf'd

I came home to log my find, and lo and behold, they logged it online.

I'm a bit annoyed. I'm not the "sign the log nazi" but these guys just really bothered me.

I probably wont rat on them, and just keep calm and cache on, but I felt like ranting today.

I'm a bit annoyed. I'm not the "sign the log nazi" but these guys just really bothered me.

I've seen the same thing happen, but it doesn't bother me. Everybody plays the game the way they want to. If they get a thrill logging an unfound cache, then I let them enjoy it. It really doesn't effect me.

yeah normally it doesn't bother me much either, but I'm not kidding they were literally blocking the sidewalk and being obnoxious and rude with their language (and dress, one had no shirt on and his pants around his knees like a "gangster")while searching for the cache. Then to not sign the log on top of it was just a bit much for me.

I feel that by caching in such a disrespectful way to the residents of the neighbourhood, they were putting caching in a bad light, which does affect me.

I might have posted a "how funny is this thing that happened today, in a humorous way" type log, letting the owner know that they didn't find it and let the owner decide, and pointing out their poor behaviour. Chances are they won't ever even read that cache page again, until they get the "your log has been deleted" note, anyway.

What, other than talking about it loudly, assured you that they were geocachers? Not starting a fight here, just hoping to understand the story better. :anicute:

talking loudly about the chache, iphones in hand, being upside down in front of a park bench, looking exactly like the profile picture of the mysterious logger online.

...like a "gangster"...

I think you mean "gangsta"

pardon me, I stand corrected. ;)

if anyone can explain why wearing your pants too low is a trend in that group, that would be appreciated. How are you supposed to run from the "po-9" if your pants are around your knees?

I've seen the same thing happen, but it doesn't bother me. Everybody plays the game the way they want to. If they get a thrill logging an unfound cache, then I let them enjoy it. It really doesn't effect me.

What if they get a thrill logging a dangerous cache?

What, other than talking about it loudly, assured you that they were geocachers? Not starting a fight here, just hoping to understand the story better. :anicute:

talking loudly about the chache, iphones in hand, being upside down in front of a park bench, looking exactly like the profile picture of the mysterious logger online.

Well if that was, indeed, "them", that sucks. I think most of "we" cachers that take it seriously don't want some newbie to ruin it. One way to deal with a situation like that is to approach them and give some advice.

But, for most of us, this isn't within our comfort level. One can hope that they didn't sully anyone's opinion of geocaching in the process (I hope the folks walking by saw them for "gangstas" and not "geocachers" by the next day). We all have an opportunity to guide newbies, and I hope someone can help them, or that they just get bored of it and move on.

jm2c

What if they get a thrill logging a dangerous cache?

Then maybe they can come with me on my next scramble for a mountain top cache. But they probably should pull their pants up first...

...like a "gangster"...

if anyone can explain why wearing your pants too low is a trend in that group, that would be appreciated. How are you supposed to run from the "po-9" if your pants are around your knees?

Actually that lovely little fashion trend originated in prison. It's hard to be "family friendly" while explaining it, but I will try.

The men who walked around the prison grounds with their pants below their waist were "easier to get", it was a signal to others that they "could be got" in order to win some protection from the "getter" for the "getee".

I hope that makes sense because I can't say what it means any more simply without having it deleted.

Anyways, it's assumed that somebody's uncle or brother or cousin came fresh out of prison still flashing that signal & their younger nephews/sons/cousins/whatever thought they were really cool, so they emulated them. Soon enough it popped up in a rap video & there ya go.. Spread like wildfire.

I think I might have made friendly a joke in my log...

yeah normally it doesn't bother me much either, but I'm not kidding they were literally blocking the sidewalk and being obnoxious and rude with their language (and dress, one had no shirt on and his pants around his knees like a "gangster")while searching for the cache. Then to not sign the log on top of it was just a bit much for me.

I feel that by caching in such a disrespectful way to the residents of the neighbourhood, they were putting caching in a bad light, which does affect me.

:laughing:

Was the other wearing a leather jacket like one of those good for nothing greasers? rude, rude rude :anibad:

Edited by d+n.s

...like a "gangster"...

Actually that lovely little fashion trend originated in prison. It's hard to be "family friendly" while explaining it, but I will try.

The men who walked around the prison grounds with their pants below their waist were "easier to get", it was a signal to others that they "could be got" in order to win some protection from the "getter" for the "getee".

I hope that makes sense because I can't say what it means any more simply without having it deleted.

Anyways, it's assumed that somebody's uncle or brother or cousin came fresh out of prison still flashing that signal & their younger nephews/sons/cousins/whatever thought they were really cool, so they emulated them. Soon enough it popped up in a rap video & there ya go.. Spread like wildfire.

Actually it has to do with the fact that you are not allowed to have belts in prison, so your clothes sag. It was a sign that you were hardcore and spent time in lock up. Not emulating....what you were talking about above.

...like a "gangster"...

http://www.snopes.com/risque/homosex/sagging.asp

...like a "gangster"...

Actually it has to do with the fact that you are not allowed to have belts in prison, so your clothes sag. It was a sign that you were hardcore and spent time in lock up. Not emulating....what you were talking about above.

If you research it, you will find it. Not saying that you can't be right as well. I'm just telling you that the explanation that I just gave is there to be found.

I think I might have made friendly a joke in my log...

:laughing:

Was the other wearing a leather jacket like one of those good for nothing greasers? rude, rude rude :anibad:

yes in fact,i think he was.

I am of the opinion that if I can see your bum, you are not wearing pants. Thus is not appropriate for public dress.

Plumbers, and girls with low rise jeans also fall into this category.

It's the shirtless thing that bothers me though.

Come back to planet Earth. Look up what it means to find something.

Go to given coordinates, locate an item hidden there, look at it, touch it, you have found the thing!

It's only a few living in some alternate world of geocaching who insist that you haven't found it until you sign the log.

They saw it, they touched it, of course they found it. To deny that is to deny reality.

You can rant about them not signing it, and whether they can log it without signing it, but unless they missed seeing it, they found it.

Come back to planet Earth. Look up what it means to find something.

Go to given coordinates, locate an item hidden there, look at it, touch it, you have found the thing!

It's only a few living in some alternate world of geocaching who insist that you haven't found it until you sign the log.

They saw it, they touched it, of course they found it. To deny that is to deny reality.

You can rant about them not signing it, and whether they can log it without signing it, but unless they missed seeing it, they found it.

Wait.. did they find it, see it and touch it? I honestly have no idea.

Personally, I wouldn't say I had found a cache if I had touched it, but it was camo's well enough that I didn't relaize it was the cache... but thats just me. I don't really care what other people do to other people's caches. just saying.

Edited by d+n.s

I'm actually mostly ranting about them blocking the sidewalk and letting little old ladies step over their sprawled out legs... the log was just what made me revisit it, otherwise i would have forgotten

Don't blame you. I would probably feel the same.

I can't tell which of you are serious and which of you are joking, but if the cachers did not sign the physical log, they shouldn't get credit for the find. Period. The guidelines are so simple a 2 year old can understand them. I'd rat them out.

Here we go again. Same arguement over and over and over and over.

I saw some geocachers yesterday searching a bench.

The first thing that bothered me about them was that they were stretched out under the bench with their legs on the sidewalk, not caring that little old ladies were having to step over them. They were talking loudly about the cache and attracting lots of muggle attention.

I decided to be stealthy myself, and didn't introduce myself. I just sat down on the next bench and pretended to be enjoying the view.

I kept one eye on them, and I did not see them grab the cache, did not see them unroll the log.

Once they got in their car and left I moved over to their bench, grabbed the cache, and unrolled the log to sign it. Nope, they aren't on it. I know this because there are only about 3 other sigs in this log and they are all from cachers I have met.

Oh well, they looked like newbs, perhaps they didn't see the nano that really does just look like a bolt, guess they dnf'd

I came home to log my find, and lo and behold, they logged it online.

I probably wont rat on them, and just keep calm and cache on, but I felt like ranting today.

You don't want to rat them out but you gave us the info to find them? Don't worry, I'm not as nice as you...

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=1f892658-ec7d-4823-88da-4e696c119e1f

I can't tell which of you are serious and which of you are joking, but if the cachers did not sign the physical log, they shouldn't get credit for the find. Period. The guidelines are so simple a 2 year old can understand them. I'd rat them out.

But it's too easy to pass up. <_<

Not really. I figure tozimbique will be by soon enough to straighten him out.

Who is tozimbique?

In response to the OP

1) How do you know they didn't come back later and find it?

2) How do you know they didn't find it? I know a lot of cachers who when they find a nano on bench don't bother to sign the log. After all we all know what a pain it is to get the scroll out and that it is even harder to put it back. And since there isn't much room most people don't even sign their whole name. I generally write TOZ in nano caches so you couldn't tell if it was me or tozimbique anyhow. Sure a cache owner could delete your log, but most people who are hiding P&G type nanos aren't checking logs and may not even care if the log is signed. I suppose a 2 year old could report to the cache owner what they saw and why they think the online log is bogus. Not that the cache owner has to do anything about it.

Who is tozimbique?

In response to the OP

2) How do you know they didn't find it? I know a lot of cachers who when they find a nano on bench don't bother to sign the log. After all we all know what a pain it is to get the scroll out and that it is even harder to put it back. And since there isn't much room most people don't even sign their whole name. I generally write TOZ in nano caches so you couldn't tell if it was me or tozimbique anyhow. Sure a cache owner could delete your log, but most people who are hiding P&G type nanos aren't checking logs and may not even care if the log is signed. I suppose a 2 year old could report to the cache owner what they saw and why they think the online log is bogus. Not that the cache owner has to do anything about it.

Ya, who is this tozimbique guy?

Anyway, you are correct that the CO has to do anything. I would tell the CO so that s/he could do something if s/he wanted to. However, I don't think this is a P&G cache. Did you check out the cache page that was posted by A & J Tooling? Looks like a lovely walk through the park cache.

Who is tozimbique?

In response to the OP

Ya, who is this tozimbique guy?

Anyway, you are correct that the CO has to do anything. I would tell the CO so that s/he could do something if s/he wanted to. However, I don't think this is a P&G cache. Did you check out the cache page that was posted by A & J Tooling? Looks like a lovely walk through the park cache.

It was a beautiful spot for a cache. The CO is an active one in the community. I won't bother her with it though. People being inconsiderate while finding caches isn't her issue to deal with.

...like a "gangster"...

I've seen a video of a body with drop-down pants attempting to flee - he didn't get far and it was hilarious! I just wish they'd wear clean underwear with that fashion trend....