Oregon compass does not guide to coordinates

The compass works perfectly well in guiding to geocaches stored in the Oregon, however if I just add basic coordinates and seek guidance from the compass it tries to guide me to the nearest geocache instead. Is there a way to rectify this little problem?

TIA

Edited by azza-ro

The compass works perfectly well in guiding to geocaches stored in the Oregon, however if I just add basic coordinates and seek guidance from the compass it tries to guide me to the nearest geocache instead. Is there a way to rectify this little problem?

TIA

Are you using the compass - or the smaller pointer/arrow on the dashboard on the maps page?

The dashboard arrow will always point to the closest unfound cache - or a cache you've set a goto on.

To navigate to a waypoint you will need to go the compass screen itself - or set map page to a setting other than dashboard....

TIA

Are you using the compass - or the smaller pointer/arrow on the dashboard on the maps page?

The dashboard arrow will always point to the closest unfound cache - or a cache you've set a goto on.

To navigate to a waypoint you will need to go the compass screen itself - or set map page to a setting other than dashboard....

Keehotee

Thanks for the tip, - that has led me to find the solution (I think).

Set coordinates required

Go to Compass page

Touch Lower right decal which brings up dashboard

select 'recreational' (and 'small data fields' which shows distance, etc) - both of these bring back compass page.

To return to geocache mode press RH decal and press 'geo-caching nearest' (or geocaching active which brings up nearest cache)

Have to test this in the field, but looks promising

Edited by azza-ro

An easy way to solve this is to set up two profiles, one for geocaching and one for waypointing. The problem with the geocaching dashboard is that it always points to the closest geocache, as the others have already pointed out. A separate profile allows you to quickly switch to a dashboard that points to entered coordinates.

An easy way to solve this is to set up two profiles, one for geocaching and one for waypointing. The problem with the geocaching dashboard is that it always points to the closest geocache, as the others have already pointed out. A separate profile allows you to quickly switch to a dashboard that points to entered coordinates.

PokerLuck - thanks for that advice, and will experiment with your 'profile' idea.

you can navigate to a waypoint the same as you do to a cache...just select it and hit GO

you can navigate to a waypoint the same as you do to a cache...just select it and hit GO

Yes, you can. But as previously pointed out, the arrow in the geocaching dashboard will not be pointing at the waypoint, it will point at the nearest geocache, and the label in the dashboard will reflect that. If you go to the compass screen though the compass pointer will point at the waypoint.

At least that's the way it works on my 62S.

Yes, you can. But as previously pointed out, the arrow in the geocaching dashboard will not be pointing at the waypoint, it will point at the nearest geocache, and the label in the dashboard will reflect that. If you go to the compass screen though the compass pointer will point at the waypoint.

At least that's the way it works on my 62S.

and it makes sense, because the GPS's main purpose is to locate caches not waypoints, so not only the dashboard points to the nearest but also if you go to "find a geocache" they are sorted by nearest to your current location

but my question is if you're navigating to a waypoint why wouldn't you have the map open to show you the direction and distance, or the compass screen?

mind you the OP hasn't mentioned what "flavor" of Oregon he/she has so i don't know what options they have

Edited by t4e

My 62S came preconfigured with a Geocaching profile that uses a different color scheme and has the Geocaching dashboard on the map screen, and a Recreational profile that does NOT use the geocaching dashboard. I just switch between them depending on if I am hunting a cache or a waypoint.

the GPS's main purpose is to locate caches not waypoints

I don't think that's true at all. I think the GPS's main purpose is to navigate to waypoints, and geocaches are just a secondary form of waypoint. I bet a LOT more people use GPSs for non-geocaching purposes than for geocaching.

Edited by michaelnel

the GPS's main purpose is to locate caches not waypoints

I don't think that's true at all. I think the GPS's main purpose is to navigate to waypoints, and geocaches are just a secondary form of waypoint. I bet a LOT more people use GPSs for non-geocaching purposes than for geocaching.

that is true but what kind of GPS are we talking bout now?

what i am saying is that in the geocaching mode the GPS is not going to "voluntarily" point you to the waypoints, but rather to geocaches

I am talking ALL gps units, including Garmin Oregons.

I am certain that the vast majority of the GPS units in use around the world (except specialized ones like Geomates and explorist GCs) are used for non-geocaching purposes.

Edited by michaelnel

My 62S came preconfigured with a Geocaching profile that uses a different color scheme and has the Geocaching dashboard on the map screen, and a Recreational profile that does NOT use the geocaching dashboard. I just switch between them depending on if I am hunting a cache or a waypoint.

Michael - many thanks for the info. I am wondering of the 62S works slightly differently.

The Oregon 450 came out of the box with the recreational background (pebble theme), but I have the compass problem with this recreational profile.

Selections available are - Main Menu/Profile Change/- choose either Recreational, Geocache, Auto, Marine, Fitness.

As the unit is already on 'recreational' I dont think this Oregon is working quite the same as your GPS.

The present answer seems to be to go to the compass page and use either the 'small data fields' or 'recreational' option which removes compass confusion. However, I still need to experiment with the separate profile option mentioned by Keehotee

I think you are confused on what a profile is. Profiles quickly change the settings to optimize the GPS for what you are using it for. So switching to a profile is not going to address the problem unless the profile is optimized for what you are using the GPS for. So first switch to your geocaching profile and modify the settings and screens to how you want the GPS to work when you are caching. Then switch to the recreation profile and modify the settings and screens to how you want the GPS to work when you are navigating to a waypoint. Do NOT have the geocaching dashboards active in your recreation profile. Once you have the settings set up for the profiles, you just switch profiles when you want to switch from caching to waypoint. Then your GPS is customized for its current use.