How to log this...

cptravelbug

Hi,

This is a first one for me to log and I am not sure what would be the best way.

I went to the location of a cache that had been logged as not found in April with no other logs afterwards.

When I went to the location today (an old wall - several hundred years old - with several lose stones). Due to a spoiler picture

and many broken branches at the location I am sure I was at the right place.

I looked behind several lose stones and did not find anything. When I came home I found a "not found" log from yesterday,where someone else had also

not found the cache and commented on the already suffering wall due to people pulling out rocks.

Do I just add another "not found" or is this a maintenance/archive log?

Hi,

This is a first one for me to log and I am not sure what would be the best way.

I went to the location of a cache that had been logged as not found in April with no other logs afterwards.

When I went to the location today (an old wall - several hundred years old - with several lose stones). Due to a spoiler picture

and many broken branches at the location I am sure I was at the right place.

I looked behind several lose stones and did not find anything. When I came home I found a "not found" log from yesterday,where someone else had also

not found the cache and commented on the already suffering wall due to people pulling out rocks.

Do I just add another "not found" or is this a maintenance/archive log?

You did not find it so you should log a DNF. You can only assume you were truly at the correct spot since you didn't find the cache. I would describe what you experienced in the DNF log and leave it at that.

It's definitely a DNF log... but, what to do next?

Here in UK geocaches are not allowed to be placed in dry stone walls or in sensitive locations such as ancient walls. From your previous finds it appears you're in Germany - I don't know how the German reviewers view these matters. In such circumstances, here, we would log a Needs Archive.

MrsB

ok, will log as DNF

now being a newer cacher I'm not sure about what is the more friendly approach:

log additionally Maintenance needed?

send a personal email?

log needs to be achived?

I do want some action taken as I do not want the wall to be damaged more. At the same time - the cache has been there for 4 1/2 years and no one has ever said anything about the location - I don't want to be the Newbie "getting at someone, just because I din't find the cache/'like' the location".

What would you do?

yup, DNF.

Personally I'd put it on watchlist and see what happens. If more DNFs come in and there's no action from the CO, I'd post a NM. And if still nothing happens, eventually (think months later here) NA.

Edited by dfx

I ended up logging it as DNF, describing the way I found the wall and my disappointment as it IS a favourite spot of mine that has been already been messed with by non-cachers through the last 20 years to find it like that.

Asked the owner to find a new spot and change co-ordinates for the cache as it truly IS a cool place that people should see.

Check out: http://www.geocaching.com/seek/gallery.aspx?guid=3e65ed7b-f656-4e43-8db3-d4327700183e

Thanks for your answers. It helped make the decision. If nothing happens I may send a personal note later.

I ended up logging it as DNF, describing the way I found the wall and my disappointment as it IS a favourite spot of mine that has been already been messed with by non-cachers through the last 20 years to find it like that.

Asked the owner to find a new spot and change co-ordinates for the cache as it truly IS a cool place that people should see.

Check out: http://www.geocachin...b3-d4327700183e

Thanks for your answers. It helped make the decision. If nothing happens I may send a personal note later.

How does your link help any of us understand your question and concern? :blink:

Check out: http://www.geocachin...b3-d4327700183e

How does your link help any of us understand your question and concern? :blink:

:huh:

The link to the gallery shows us what sort of building it is and shows some a spoiler location for the cache in the old walls. It helps to give us more visual information, surely?

I agree, it does look like a very cool spot for a cache but it also appears there may be plenty of places to re-locate it somewhere just outside of the building. It's a pity if damage is being done to the structure itself.

MrsB

I'm +1 on all of the "DNF" log pointers.

It's always best to DNF if you searched and did not, in fact, find the cache. The owner will hopefully see the string and go out to look. Some owners aren't as diligent, so it may take a while.

I'd say you can email the owner and ask them if you have the right idea. Explain what you saw, where you were looking, and what you think may have happened. The conversation will then help you know what to do next.

If you look again and don't find, log a DNF and try another email. If you don't hear back in a while, you may have encountered an owner who doesn't read the DNF or Found it logs in their inbox. Maybe a NM then, if you have looked, not found, and the owner is not responsive to emails.

From there, give it some time, try looking more someday. If there becomes a string of DNFs and no visits to the site by the owner (you can see the last time the logged in on their profile page) in a LONG time, you could post a Needs Archived... But perhaps try emailing the local reviewer to see if they want to post a reviewer note to nudge the owner.

It can get complicated, but if you employ your best friendly, customer-servicey self, you should have a good response from the owner, and perhaps a new friend in the field.

Be tactful. Be thoughtful. Be honest. Just don't be mean or offensive or accusatory in your logs or correspondence.

jm2c