New here, with TB questions

DesertPopps

While perusing the map looking for our next cache target, I found a TB hotel. I can move 2 of the TBs toward their stated goals while on our vacation. I'm sure the TB owners would be happy. I would drop these TBs off at another hotel, so I could bring 2 back. However, I don't have any TBs to deposit in the local hotel at this moment.

Would it be rude to take the TBs on their journey, leaving the local hotel with 2 fewer TBs for 2 weeks?

Travel bugs and trackable geocoins are not a trade item, you do not have to put something in the cache to take a Trackable item, and you should not take something from a cache in trade for a Trackable item. If you should take something from a cache, you should make a trade, and you can place the Trackable item.

TB Hotels: A 1:1 rule is a cache rule on some caches, not a TB rule. Don't let TB's linger too long just because someone wants their cache stocked with other people's TB's. The TB's do not belong to the cache owner. (Send them a link to this thread if they complain)

The above is in a pinned topic at the top of the Travel Bug forum and was written by that forum's moderator Eartha.

If you can help any trackable on its journey feel free to do so.

MrsB :)

In that you are new, you will eventually find out that perusing (alone) many times doesn't do too much good. You need to investigate a little further.... such as: if the TB you have "eyed" was placed in the cache a year or so ago, there is a REAL good chance it isn't there at all! Even at that, if dropped today, when you get there tomorrow, it may well have already checked out.

Make the plans to move it/them, if you can. But don't become disheartened when you find that they aren't there for you to pick up.

Bottom line: Don't put all your eggs in one basket (they may have hatched and flown the coop).

Thanks for the advice!

I'd heard a reference to a TB hotel as a prison. I can see why with an even trade rule. I just wasn't sure what etiquette was practiced. I don't want to tick off someone locally that I might eventually meet at an event IRL.

I realized after I posted this that I should have posted it in the TB forum. Thanks for posting the reference to the the rules. I saw the sticky but simply didn't read down far enough. It seemed rather chatty and scattered for an official thread. My search didn't return the post because it didn't mention "hotels".

I've already encountered missing TBs or I might have picked one up for trading. According to logs, the TBs in this hotel have all been dropped off within the past month, so none are have been there as long as a year. The specific TBs in question were dropped off yesterday. I think the chances are decent they are there.

I won't be disappointed if they're not there, other than having stopped to geocache in dreadful summer heat.

Thanks all!