pocket query on new Oregon 450

I am so unimpressed with this darn Oregon. I am 10 minutes away from taking it back and getting my $350 and just using my iPhone4. I can't figure out how to get my pocket queries onto it. Pretty much makes it useless. Not too mention, I had the most DNFs I've ever had in one day since I got this today. I am one unhappy camper.

Step 1: Redo your PQ but UNCHECK the box that tells you to compress it.

Step 2: depending on how many geocaches you ask for, the email may or may not have the geocache attachment and the child waypoint attachment. You may have to download them separately.

Step 3: Attach your 450 to your computer. It should be visible as a drive (it will say Garmin). Go to folder "garmin" and the click on the "GPX" subfolder. Copy/Paste the 2 files to that folder. (Be sure when doing the PQ to ask for .gpx files and NOT .loc file. The default is ,gpx

Good luck

I have the 450 myself and all I can say is that it is usually spot on. Keep in mind that, unless you are in really open country, there will be a margin of accuracy that may belie what the GPS is telling you.

Also, if you haven't already, download the Web Updater program. It's great for keeping the firmware up-to-date.

kit_n_kaboodle

I am so unimpressed with this darn Oregon. I am 10 minutes away from taking it back and getting my $350 and just using my iPhone4. I can't figure out how to get my pocket queries onto it. Pretty much makes it useless. Not too mention, I had the most DNFs I've ever had in one day since I got this today. I am one unhappy camper.

Dude, calm down and do some reading. It is literally drag and drop, and the 450 is a fine unit. I understand your anxious to get out there but part of geocaching is being somewhat tech savvy.

Edit: Winzip is also 100% free.

Edited by LukeTrocity

Dude, calm down and do some reading. It is literally drag and drop, and the 450 is a fine unit. I understand your anxious to get out there but part of geocaching is being somewhat tech savvy.

I think I have it figured out now. Finally seen the Garmin as a connection and did the copy paste of the gpx file. Thanks guys.

Next question is what batteries will last a decent amount of time in it. I know the cheap ones burned up super quick.

Edited by punisher911

I think I have it figured out now. Finally seen the Garmin as a connection and did the copy paste of the gpx file. Thanks guys.

Next question is what batteries will last a decent amount of time in it. I know the cheap ones burned up super quick.

Nevermind. Thought I had it. I don't. really hating this thing now.

Get a pair (or better two) of good NiMH rechargables. Sanyo Eneloops are a favourite, otherwise any high mAh NiMHs (2500+ or so) will do you good. They'll last you at least a full caching day or maybe even two. To keep your batteries happy over a long time, you may also want to invest in a good quality charger.

There's plenty of threads on both subjects already.

Sorry to be blunt here, but have you never plugged a USB key into your PC and copied files from/to it? Or have you never used a USB card reader to access and manipulate files on some kind of memory card? Loading caches onto an Oregon is just as simple as that.

Sorry to be blunt here, but have you never plugged a USB key into your PC and copied files from/to it? Or have you never used a USB card reader to access and manipulate files on some kind of memory card? Loading caches onto an Oregon is just as simple as that.

yep, I'm an idiot. Got it all figured out for the most part. Just needed to go outside and get some reception to pick up my new caches. Thanks all.