GSAK and/or GeoBuddy ... I don't get it

As I said in the title ... I just don't get it.

I'm a premium member of geocaching.com, I've downloaded both GSAK and Geobuddy and I have a Garmin GPSmap 60CSx. I'm trying to get some "paperless" info on my GPSr and I'm having no luck. Both software packages advertise that they are supposed to do this yet I can't figure it out.

Can someone:

A - Confirm that this is capable with my GPSr.

B - Give me step by step instructions on what I'm supposed to do.

C - Tell me I'm nuts and I'll go away.

Thanks for any help you can give me & my family,

meyersx4

You're nuts. Go away!

No. Seriously.

Has been talked about recently.

The GPSmap 60CSx is NOT a Paperless GPS.

BUT. Can be semi-paperless by using a macro with GSAK and sending the caches as POI files.

http://gsak.net/board/MacroIndex.php The top macro is the one I used to use.

Caches were sent to the GPS twice. Once as aGPX file to cache with, Second time as POI files to read information if needed.

I used that macro, it's no longer supported -I had no problems with it- and at the end a still supported macro is referred to.

Thank you for the replies.

What am I looking for ... hmmm ... I'm looking for more info than the 60CSx gives in a "default" status. I know it's not a fully operational "Paperless" GPSr (I thought it was when I bought it ... dang it!) but what can I get out of it? I don't want to ask for the "world" when I can't even get a "town", but again, what can I get?

I guess if I was pressed, I'd like to get some size, shape or form of the following:

1 - GC#

2 - Cache name

3 - Lat/Long

4 - Hint (if any)

5 - Cache description

6 - Anything else would be icing on the cake

Does this answer your question?

BTW: I have already loaded the above macro and, since it gives me pretty much the same info as I had without it, I'm guessing I haven't figured out what to do with it.

Thanks again!

Edited by meyersx4

Thank you for the replies.

What am I looking for ... hmmm ... I'm looking for more info than the 60CSx gives in a "default" status. I know it's not a fully operational "Paperless" GPSr (I thought it was when I bought it ... dang it!) but what can I get out of it? I don't want to ask for the "world" when I can't even get a "town", but again, what can I get?

I guess if I was pressed, I'd like to get some size, shape or form of the following:

1 - GC#

2 - Cache name

3 - Lat/Long

4 - Hint (if any)

5 - Cache description

Thanks again!

Handy Tip

If some writing has a line underneath it, usually in these forums, it means it's a LINK.

Click on it and see what it links to.

http://gsak.net/board/MacroIndex.php

Read, it will tell you what is available.

Edit

Seems you were posting, as I was writing.

Are you downloading LOC files, or GPX files?

I was able to read parts of the cache page description when I used the macro...

Edited by Bear and Ragged

Dang, I missed that one when I was putting in all of the info ... I'm downloading GPX files. Maybe I'm looking in the wrong place on the GPSr? I'm looking in Geocache, Custom POI and Waypoints and all I see is the GC# and that's about it.

Thanks for responding

Dang, I missed that one when I was putting in all of the info ... I'm downloading GPX files. Maybe I'm looking in the wrong place on the GPSr? I'm looking in Geocache, Custom POI and Waypoints and all I see is the GC# and that's about it.

Thanks for responding

It's a year or two since I used the macro on the 60, but from memory it, or the GPS, adds a new icon in the search part... "Custom POI"? I used to find it listed at the bottom of the Geocache/POI/waypoints screen -scroll down to see it.

Method of using it was use the search for cache, if I needed to read the cache page while searching, hit "find nearest POI" and the cache POI file would appear.

After awhile I got a PDA, but still used the POI's on the 60 for a quicker read!

Multi's were always better printed, or read from the PDA.

1 - GC#

2 - Cache name

3 - Lat/Long

4 - Hint (if any)

5 - Cache description

BTW: I have already loaded the above macro and, since it gives me pretty much the same info as I had without it, I'm guessing I haven't figured out what to do with it.

Thanks again!

Are you running the macro in GSAK or just have it installed? to run it in GSAK go to Macro/run. In the next window double click on the 60CSxPOI.gsk ( guessing its the only one you have installed) and in the next window pick options you want and also go to the advance page and set things up there, like where you are going to save it to so whey you run Garmins POI loader you know where to direct that program to find the .csv file to use.Once you`ve done that click the continue button and it will create the file. then run the POI loader.

Just so you know putting the descriptions on gets messy, if it goes over 80 characters it creates more than 1 POI for that cache. Most just put the hints on.

Edited by IBcrashen

Oh man do I feel real dumb right now! As far as I know I'm running the macro. I've never seen anything with a .csv file name. I looked for the POI thing in the GSAK file on my PC and can't find it ... ARGH!!!! It's almost 11pm here, I'll attack this tomorrow. If there are any other suggestions, such as removing the GSAK and starting fresh and how I'm supposed to load it in the 1st place, please let me know.

Again ... ARGH! I can take a car apart and put it back together but when it comes to this kind of stuff, I'm lost. All I know it that my wife and kids really love this so far and so do I. I just know there's so much more out there.

Is there anyone in the Rochester, NY area that's willing to sit down with me? I've got a beer, or coffee, soda (whatever) waiting ...

As usual, thanks for your help!

meyersx4

It took me awhile, and several goes to sort it. :rolleyes:

And I'd been using GSAK for awhile, before I tried the macro and Garmin loader.

Trying to get your head around both is a big learning curve...

Maybe after a nights sleep it will make a little more sense. :)

Make a folder on the desktop 'POI for GPS' so you can find it.

Run GSAK to sent the file there.

Use Garmin POI loader to find the file in the folder, then send it to the GPS.

The Garmin POI loader is also a 'little difficult' to master, but once you've done it it works!

(You will need the POI loader to unload the old POI's before you add new POIs)

It took me awhile, and several goes to sort it. :rolleyes:

And I'd been using GSAK for awhile, before I tried the macro and Garmin loader.

Trying to get your head around both is a big learning curve...

Maybe after a nights sleep it will make a little more sense. :)

Make a folder on the desktop 'POI for GPS' so you can find it.

Run GSAK to sent the file there.

Use Garmin POI loader to find the file in the folder, then send it to the GPS.

The Garmin POI loader is also a 'little difficult' to master, but once you've done it it works!

(You will need the POI loader to unload the old POI's before you add new POIs)

Awesome - I think that did it! We'll be testing it in a couple of days and we'll see if it's what I'm thinking it's supposed to be doing. But, it's the most info I've had yet! Thank You!!!

meyersx4

This is how I do it. I hope this helps

1. Copy a shortcut to GSAK to your desktop.

2. Download the gpx file to your desktop

3. Drag the gpx file onto the GSAK icon on your desktop.

Voila...you just loaded the gpx file into GSAK.

5. Click on macros and then RUN MACRO.

6. Click INSTALL MACRO

7. Browse to the folder you have the macro in (usually called macros right inside the GSAK folder).

8. Click on the macro you want to install and then click open.

Voila... Your macro is installed

9. Double click the macro.

Edited by GermanyBert

I'm a premium member of geocaching.com, I've downloaded both GSAK and Geobuddy and I have a Garmin GPSmap 60CSx. I'm trying to get some "paperless" info on my GPSr and I'm having no luck. Both software packages advertise that they are supposed to do this yet I can't figure it out.

Can someone:

meyersx4

Here is a Youtube video I made this week on this exact same subject. I go though the process step by step. Also note that the title of the video is Paperless with the etrex, but is the exact same steps and macro for your GPS. If you have any questions let me know!

Can someone:

meyersx4

Here is a Youtube video I made this week on this exact same subject. I go though the process step by step. Also note that the title of the video is Paperless with the etrex, but is the exact same steps and macro for your GPS. If you have any questions let me know!

That's it!!! All of you .. Thank You for your help on this! The replies and help that you've given me has been fantastic! I look forward to using the GPSr this Thursday.

meyersx4