Oregon 450 - entering or changing coordinates

I'm fairly new to geocaching (Feb. 2011) so if this turns out to be a stupid question my apologies in advance!

Cache details include coordinates in degrees and minutes as well as (where I live) a British Grid reference. A few caches on my to-do list provide coords for, for example, a parking place, which require to be altered following the solution of puzzles, so that the cache can be found. For the life of me I can't figure out how to change the coords in degrees and minutes in my Oregon and would appreciate any advice on how to do this.

Thanks in advance.

You can't change the coordinate of a geocache in the field - only a waypoint. One solution to that which will also retain the information after the fact (in case you want to record it later) is to use Mark Waypoint, then before saving, modify the name to something you'll easily recall and modify the coordinates to wherever you're going.

If you figure it out at home, use GSAK. If you are in the field, use Enter next stage

In the example I gave it has to be done in the field from observations of features near to the cache. I'm sorry but I don't understand your advice to use "Enter next stage". Can you clarify please?

You can't change the coordinate of a geocache in the field - only a waypoint. One solution to that which will also retain the information after the fact (in case you want to record it later) is to use Mark Waypoint, then before saving, modify the name to something you'll easily recall and modify the coordinates to wherever you're going.

I know I can't change the coordinates of a geocache but in the example I gave the geocache site advises that the coordinates provided apply to the car park from which the walk to the first geocache starts. It is those coordinates that require to be modified, following the clues provided, to produce the coordinates for the geocache itself. Your suggestion to use Mark Waypoint seems to be the answer however while I can modify the name I can't see how to modify the coordinates. I'd be grateful if you could explain this step.

that is not entirely true, if its a multi you can use "enter next stage", like myotis said earlier

I know I can't change the coordinates of a geocache but in the example I gave the geocache site advises that the coordinates provided apply to the car park from which the walk to the first geocache starts. It is those coordinates that require to be modified, following the clues provided, to produce the coordinates for the geocache itself. Your suggestion to use Mark Waypoint seems to be the answer however while I can modify the name I can't see how to modify the coordinates. I'd be grateful if you could explain this step.

if its a multi see my reply above

If you figure it out at home, use GSAK. If you are in the field, use Enter next stage

In the example I gave it has to be done in the field from observations of features near to the cache. I'm sorry but I don't understand your advice to use "Enter next stage". Can you clarify please?

its one of the options like log, show hint, etc. You figure out the cords in the field and then you select enter next stage and then you enter the cords for the final. Then it will navigate you to the final or next stage

that is not entirely true

I don't think we're all reading the OP's thread title the same way, nor his message.

Yes, it is. "Enter next stage" doesn't change the original data, nor is it of use unless there's a multi involved. The OP was curious to know how to handle a puzzle cache final: "...which require to be altered following the solution of puzzles, so that the cache can be found. " In essence, he just wants to modify the original coordinates of the puzzle to the true coordinates, and you cannot do that on the face of the unit. "Enter next stage" will not help him much there, either - unless the puzzle is also a multi, but let's not further confuse the OP.

If in the field (or not using a computer for whatever reason), the easy way to manage this is as I said. You "Mark Waypoint". Before saving, you modify the coordinates from where you're standing to where you want to go (the puzzle final). Before saving, you give it a meaningful name (like GC2Y32T - Final). Now the OP has created a waypoint of the puzzle final coordinates that he can find.

Edited by ecanderson

Your suggestion to use Mark Waypoint seems to be the answer however while I can modify the name I can't see how to modify the coordinates. I'd be grateful if you could explain this step.

Mark Waypoint

Save and Edit

Change Name

(to whatever you want)

Green checkmark

Down arrow key

Change Location

(to whatever you want)

Green checkmark

Red X

I don't think we're all reading the OP's thread title the same way, nor his message.

Yes, it is. "Enter next stage" doesn't change the original data, nor is it of use unless there's a multi involved. The OP was curious to know how to handle a puzzle cache final: "...which require to be altered following the solution of puzzles, so that the cache can be found. " In essence, he just wants to modify the original coordinates of the puzzle to the true coordinates, and you cannot do that on the face of the unit. "Enter next stage" will not help him much there, either - unless the puzzle is also a multi, but let's not further confuse the OP.

If in the field (or not using a computer for whatever reason), the easy way to manage this is as I said. You "Mark Waypoint". Before saving, you modify the coordinates from where you're standing to where you want to go (the puzzle final). Before saving, you give it a meaningful name (like GC2Y32T - Final). Now the OP has created a waypoint of the puzzle final coordinates that he can find.

I'll have to disagree with ecanderson here.

Using the 'Enter Next Stage' is a better method than marking a waypoint IMHO. By entering the new (solved) coords as a stage, you can also read the hint & description while navigating to the final and mark the cache as found when you find it. It also involves less steps than marking, renaming and navigating to a waypoint.

Also, looking at the OP's question, you can use Setup/Position Format menu to convert between different position formats if that is what the puzzle requires.

Hope that helps!

Edited by Triple Crown

Using the 'Enter Next Stage' is a better method than marking a waypoint IMHO. By entering the new (solved) coords as a stage, you can also read the hint & description while navigating to the final and mark the cache as found when you find it. It also involves less steps than marking, renaming and navigating to a waypoint.

I would just enter on "Where To?

then on the next screen enter on "Coordinates" and enter the desired coordinates. Press tick mark to save.

Then "Waypoint Manager" will find the WP "Coordinates" and you can either just navigate to them or give them a name as suggested above.

More ways than one to skin a cat?

I think what we're disagreeing about is what the OP is trying to accomplish. You don't "Enter Next Stage" unless you're working on a multi. It's not an available option otherwise. I don't see any indication of that in the original post. I agree that he may be trying to do two things at once, though, and the it's good that the unit will automatically shift the displayed coordinates if you shift datum, format, etc. You can enter data in one format, shift to another format, and the displayed result is translated. I've always wondered what the internal storage format is that's being translated from / to.

I think what we're disagreeing about is what the OP is trying to accomplish. You don't "Enter Next Stage" unless you're working on a multi. It's not an available option otherwise. I don't see any indication of that in the original post. I agree that he may be trying to do two things at once, though, and the it's good that the unit will automatically shift the displayed coordinates if you shift datum, format, etc. You can enter data in one format, shift to another format, and the displayed result is translated. I've always wondered what the internal storage format is that's being translated from / to.

Hmmm, I have an Oregon 300 with Software version 4.20 & GPS software version 5.00 (the latest available via WebUpdater) and I have the option to 'Enter Next Stage' on every cache type. Don't remember which update allowed that, but it's available in the current version.

its one of the options like log, show hint, etc. You figure out the cords in the field and then you select enter next stage and then you enter the cords for the final. Then it will navigate you to the final or next stage

I take it you mean the options which appear in the "Currently navigating to......" screen? If so, "Enter next stage" doesn't appear in the options shown by my Oregon 450, nor can I find "Enter next stage" anywhere else. Any other ideas? I'm obviously missing something so feel free to point out the obvious :(

You scrolled down right? It is between Log Attempt and Find Another. If it is not showing, run web updater. The 50s did not use to have this feature until a firm update a year or so ago. So if it does not show up, you need to update to the newest firmware (4.5).

Your suggestion to use Mark Waypoint seems to be the answer however while I can modify the name I can't see how to modify the coordinates. I'd be grateful if you could explain this step.

Mark Waypoint

Save and Edit

Change Name

(to whatever you want)

Green checkmark

Down arrow key

Change Location

(to whatever you want)

Green checkmark

Red X

Thanks. I've tried doing exactly as you say, in fact I had arrived at the Change Location step before my original post, however pressing Change Location produces a screen showing the British Ordnance Survey map grid reference and the necessary keyboard to change this, but no alternative which would allow modification of coordinates. As I've said elsewhere, I must be missing something so please feel free to point out the obvious. Thanks again for your time and help.

You scrolled down right? It is between Log Attempt and Find Another. If it is not showing, run web updater. The 50s did not use to have this feature until a firm update a year or so ago. So if it does not show up, you need to update to the newest firmware (4.5).

OK, thanks - done that and I now have Enter Next Stage in the options so that's a step forward and I'm grateful for your advice. However, as I said elsewhere in reply to ecanderson in relation to Change Location in Mark Waypoint, pressing Enter Next Stage produces the British Ordnance Survey map grid reference and the necessary keyboard to change this, but no alternative which would allow modification of coordinates. I hope you have the patience to further assist if possible!

I would just enter on "Where To?

then on the next screen enter on "Coordinates" and enter the desired coordinates. Press tick mark to save.

Then "Waypoint Manager" will find the WP "Coordinates" and you can either just navigate to them or give them a name as suggested above.

More ways than one to skin a cat?

Have you tried the above - it really is very simple.

Jim

OK, thanks - done that and I now have Enter Next Stage in the options so that's a step forward and I'm grateful for your advice. However, as I said elsewhere in reply to ecanderson in relation to Change Location in Mark Waypoint, pressing Enter Next Stage produces the British Ordnance Survey map grid reference and the necessary keyboard to change this, but no alternative which would allow modification of coordinates. I hope you have the patience to further assist if possible!

Thats easy to fix.

Set up, position format, position format and select hddd mm.mmm (Also make sure the other two settings are WGS 84)

Whatever you have this set to in the profile, the GPS will ask you for the cords in that format. Geocaching uses hddd mm.mmm so you have to have the GPS set to that format.

Thats easy to fix.

Set up, position format, position format and select hddd mm.mmm (Also make sure the other two settings are WGS 84)

Whatever you have this set to in the profile, the GPS will ask you for the cords in that format. Geocaching uses hddd mm.mmm so you have to have the GPS set to that format.

Brilliant! That does it :) I really appreciate your help in sorting this out. My thanks to all who responded.