Newbie help in buying GPS

I have read so many forums now and have gotten so confused. I am going out this weekend with my 9 year old and will attempt to locate a few caches. We tried once before with a Garmin nuvi 1450, but did not locate any. It said we were near but did not find. It looks as if I get a headheld we will have better luck. The question is which one. I am sightly electronically challenged, I know that I want PAPERLESS and the following say they are. These are also in my price range. Magellan Exporist GC or 310. and the Garmin etrex Legend H, Venture HC, Viste H or Summit HC. I know this is alot to ask, but can some of the more experienced cachers help.

None of the current eTrex line are paperless. Later this year Garmin is expected to release the new eTrex line which will be paperless.

The Magellan Explorist GC is a good paperless unit. Only problem i have with it is the inability to update the maps. You will be stuck with the base map which shows little more then the major roads. Personally i like to get a decent topo map into my units. The 310 on the otherhand is paperless and you can purchase better maps for it. I don't know if there are any free maps available for Magellan units but most current Garmin units can take free maps for GPSFileDepot.

I have 2 key questions for you. What is your price range? and... Do you prefer touch screen or buttons?

If you have an REI store not too far - Go there tomorrow (or today) - Sat, June 11th. They all are supposed to have an Attic sale (yeah, it's for members-only but lifetime membership is only $20 and you get 10% of everyithing you purchased back at the end of each year in form of store credit). At the Attic sale you can find all kinds of stuff including some good GPS.