Geocaching with an iPhone 4

LadyGlockG34

I signed up on this site and bought an Application and downloaded it to my iPhone 4 (Groundspeak Geocaching Ap). It allows me to log into my location and request caches near by. I went Geocaching for the first time today and I found 2 near my home. I was able to log onto my iPhone 4 and log all of my information including posting of my photo with my cache. So, my question is: is this the same as having a Premium Membership since I can just download in real time using my iPhone or will I get extra stuff if I sign up for PM? I'm able to download locations from my phone so I have no need to have the Pocket Quaries, correct?

Hi there. I use an iPhone 4 aswell. The pocket queries save a large number of caches and their 'data' to your phone for the app to use. This is needed to continue caching when you gave no 3G signal. We were in an area like this last weekend and could only cache because I had done a pq for the area.

You can also do loads more with pq's.

You need premium membership to make pocket queries - thus - you can't download them until you make them.

The iphone app is great for 'finding geocaches nearbye' thus not needing to create PQ's.

The iphones got us hooked on this hobby. If you really enjoy this hobby, I would highly recommend paying for the premium membership and buying yourself a dedicated GPS unit. The iphones are great, but battery life and lack of cell signal can make it very sluggish and sometimes impossible to geocache with.

We use our GPS as the primary unit and after we find the geocaches, we use the iphones to immediately log our finds online.

Pocket queries are an awesome tool especially if you travel to different areas. We just took a short geocaching trip to get 3 different states and it was sooo much easier to plan using pocket queries.

In addition to being able to generate Pocket Queries, Premium Membership also lets you receive e-mail notifications when a new cache is listed in your area (handy if you get into FTF's). Also, there are some caches that are Premium Member Only (PMO) caches that are not accessible to regular members, so you'd have access to them.

Some of the other benefits of Premium Membership are explained here:

Premium Memberships

As far as using the iPhone4 for caching, it works great (that's how I got started) and I still use it a lot in conjunction with my Garmin eTrex. The primary benefit (provided you have data coverage) is that it's easy to do spur-of-the-moment caching...you don't have to plan ahead and download cache listing to the phone, so if you're in a new area and find you have a few minutes to spare you can cache anytime. Also real-time logging from the field is a plus for some (I still usually prefer to log at home...I tend to write rather wordy logs and it's easier to type on the computer than on the phone :) )

One of the cool things about PQ's is that you can customize them....for example, show only caches that I haven't found already, or only a certain size or difficulty level...so if you prefer a certain type of cache you can customize the query to sort of filter out the rest. Myself, I'm an "any and every cache" type of guys so I just download 'em all....

Edited by Chief301

the iphone 4 is what I use, but I'm just starting out. I really like it. I just thought I'd mention, though, that you can geocache without a data connection if you've downloaded the cache information beforehand. You have to know which ones you plan on going after, but the map tiles and such can be saved within the app.

Great way to get started and after caching for a few months decide if you want to purchase a standalone gps. I love being able tompost field notes with my phone and edit them when I return home. Simple TFTC posted from the field seems to upset some CO's. :rolleyes:

I have just started out as well, an I got into it because of the iPhone app. I am taking a wait and see approach to decide if I want a standalone GPS or not, esp with the ability to save the info to the iPhone when you find one you want to go after.

No rule saying you can't use both...:)

The Groundspeak app is a great tool for caching on the fly. It is handy if you want to see if there are any caches nearby. But, for me, it could not replace the benefits of a premium membership. Pocket Queries allow me to plan out caching along routes or in any number of areas where network coverage is limited. It gives me a bigger picture and I can ensure that cache information will be available regardless of whether I am hiking in the woods or traveling through an area on vacation. I use it in conjunction with the iphone (geosphere) to allow me to filter the type of caches that I want to do in a particular area and map them out.

With that said, many people find that the iphone is all that they need. Find a few more. See if it is a game that you want to pursue. Make your decision from there.

Edited by mulvaney

I just ordered a Magellan Explorist GC with a 30 day premium membership, but I still do not see "Pocket Queries" on my iPhone 4. Yes, I'm using the official Groundspeak app. Does this not show up with the 30 day trial? I was able to create queries and send them to my Magellan, but I still don't know how to access them on my iPhone. Help!