Tarrant County Poison Ivy

A story from " Back In The Day ":

Out hiking with a friend who suddenly heeded the call of nature. Hey " Weave " bring me some of those leaves from that maple tree. Well, not being allergic to poison ivy I paid no particular attention to what leaves I was picking.

You guessed it ... wiped with poison ivy sorry Greg. ( sorry Gregg didn't seem to suffice ).

Not only that, but ticks, bug bites too!!

For those allergy sufferers, be prepared!

WE've always worn jeans & hiking boots while geocaching. I have a lot of allergies but they're normally dormant and don't bother me. Since we started geocaching, and being outdoors a lot more (??) I'm guessing my allergies weren't happy (really not sure what it is yet). I developed hives & nasty small rash on my leg. Got some meds and taking antihistamines regularly now. Go figure.....

Wearing long pants will help if you accidentally stumble into the stuff, but you need to know that you can also contract the stuff with later contact with those same jeans. It is an oil that comes off of the plant that causes the dermatitis. By far best to learn to recognize it, keep your eyes open for it, and avoid it as much as possible. And if not possible, walk as gently as possible and try to avoid crushing the leaves. There is a wealth of information online about the various urushiol bearing plants.

Welcome to spring in Texas.... Go to Walmart and grap some Zanfel off the shelf by the other first aid creams and use it. It works like nothing else.. That is it works and nothing else does.

Personally, I'm almost completely immune, and if I find it in our yard, I pull it out by hand, like weeding a garden.

My wife is somewhat sensitive to it. She swears by oatmeal dog shampoo. Wash with it, then put it on as a lotion.