Coin pirates Portsmouth

I just found out that a cacher named Pirates of Penzance operating in the area of Porthsmouth is taking coins with him. Not loggin this coins a that moment but waiting months until there are notes of missing. Until now he logged after many months 24 coins! I'm afraid he is having much more not logged yet.

Last year we placed during our visit to the UK a Birthday Geocoin in a cache in the south.

It travelled a bit and was placed on the 17th of june 2010 in cache Portsmouth Int. TB Hotel.

On the 20th next cacher Pirates of Penzance took it with him but didn't log it.

On the 10th of august a missing note from the Cacheowner.

Grabbed by Pirates of Penzance on the 24th of april 2011.

I checked all the coins on his list and he did this by every coin.

They are all in his hands.

Does anybody know who this cacher is. Perhaps somebody can have a talk with this guy.

Thanks for any help,

Team Bever.vw

The Netherlands

Edited by Bever.vw

I reported this sorry tale to Groundspeak (contact@geocaching.com) back on 26th May, and enquired whether GS could/would take any action.

They thanked me for the information and promised to investigate the matter.

By 22nd June, I had heard nothing further, so I asked Groundspeak for an update.

I received the following reply.........

Thank you for your response. I do not have anything further to report. It doesn't looks like the player has logged onto the site in over a month. Hopefully a warning was all they needed.

If you have any further issues with this user, please do let us know.

So, if all 42 coin owners were to e-mail a complaint to Groundspeak, then "something" just "possibly" "might" "perhaps" be done.

But don't hold your breath!

I received the following reply.........

Thank you for your response. I do not have anything further to report. It doesn't looks like the player has logged onto the site in over a month. Hopefully a warning was all they needed.

If you have any further issues with this user, please do let us know.

I guess this means Groundspeak sent some kind of "warning" email? Are the geocoins still being taken?

When these sorts of issues come up on the Trackables forums (as they do, regularly) someone usually posts, "Why doesn't Groundspeak ban them/close the account?"

To which the response is along the lines of, 'If they close the account then that breaks all communication / they won't be able to log any drop offs if they have a change of heart / they can just create a brand new account / it might annoy them so much that they'll just chuck all the items into the nearest river etc etc'

I think the best anyone can do is to keep trying gentle persuasion... Maybe offering to help get the held coins back into circulation, with the suggestion that the whole thing has come about through a misunderstanding... or something.

MrsB

Peer pressure is the only real way anything is going to happen here, Groundspeak cannot really bring any pressure to bear other than sending emails to the account holders.

As it now seems that the friends who introduced them to geocaching are not on speaking terms there probably is little hope that anything will happen.

Peer pressure is the only real way anything is going to happen here, Groundspeak cannot really bring any pressure to bear other than sending emails to the account holders.

As it now seems that the friends who introduced them to geocaching are not on speaking terms there probably is little hope that anything will happen.

It will if the friends know where they live and want to impart that information on the geocaching community :rolleyes::ph34r:

It will if the friends know where they live and want to impart that information on the geocaching community :rolleyes::ph34r:

Doubtful, even if they aren't on speaking terms there's a big difference between being upset with someone and publishing information that could potentially lead to a physical lynching. Most of us are joking when we make comments like that but it only takes one person to take things further...

22 of the "missing" trackables have been logged into one of my Portsmouth area caches (The Dog's Tale).

I will visit the cache tomorrow (Saturday), and will report back on this thread following my visit.

Would other cachers please leave the cache alone until I have had a chance to check things out?

Rod

22 of the "missing" trackables have been logged into one of my Portsmouth area caches (The Dog's Tale).

I will visit the cache tomorrow (Saturday), and will report back on this thread following my visit.

Would other cachers please leave the cache alone until I have had a chance to check things out?

Rod

Looks as if there were dropped off after all as the Cache owner has picked most of them up to move on. All's well that ends well!

The cache was visited at 9 am this morning to check things out.

I'm pleased to report that all of the 22 Trackables that were listed as being in the cache, were in fact present and correct.

I have brought them all home with me, and will place them around other local caches during the next few days.

The Pirates of Penzance had made no entry in the cache log book, which is rather strange.

This reinforces my view that POP is a sock puppet account for a previous finder of this puzzle cache.

The cache was visited at 9 am this morning to check things out.

I'm pleased to report that all of the 22 Trackables that were listed as being in the cache, were in fact present and correct.

I have brought them all home with me, and will place them around other local caches during the next few days.

The Pirates of Penzance had made no entry in the cache log book, which is rather strange.

This reinforces my view that POP is a sock puppet account for a previous finder of this puzzle cache.

Either that or one of many that don't log finds, but then the account would be unusual in. Logging/moving trackables.

Thanks for all of the kind offers to move these coins along.

They have been dispersed as follows.........

5 to London via Amberel

6 to Cornwall via Dr Dick&Vick

6 to West Hampshire via Mario McTavish

5 to East Hampshire via myself

Let's hope that, following their recent trauma, these coins have a safe journey.

Good news for all the geocoin owners :)

Whatever the reasons behind all this, whether it was deliberate hoarding or a genuine misunderstanding of the concept of "collectible" geocoins, I hope that someone has dropped an email to those Pirates to thank them for doing the right thing, at long last.

MrsB :)

Does anyone know this geocacher e4goonz? My link. He has picked up my lovespoon coin in January as well as over 10 other trackables and has not been caching since February. I have sent him numerous emails regarding my trackables and offered to pay postage if he wants to post my lovespoon back to me but not heard anything. I've noticed one coin owner has now marked their trackable as missing :( I understand that some cachers have accidents/illnesses but this guy has been logging onto the site every now and then :blink: