Tracking Number vs. Tracking Number

BigOpe

Couldn't think of a way to search the forum for this. TBs have a tracking number on the tag, which you need to do just about anything with it. There's another, different number on the TB's site page -- what's it good for?

It's the "public" TB code, you can use that to look up the TB and reference to it, but you can't use it to grab it, retrieve it or discover it. The actual tracking number (the one on the tag) is "secret" and serves as proof that you actually have the TB, allowing you to grab it or discover it.

The other number, the one that starts with TB that you see near the top left of any trackable's home page, is the 'public' reference number for that trackable. You should always use this reference number when referring to a trackable in a public location like these forums or in logs.

The tracking number found on the TB tag (or on a geocoin) should be kept private, known only to those who have actually seen the trackable, to prevent any "virtual logging" of the item.

Hope that helps.

MrsB :)

I just thought, I wonder if a system like that could be implemented for caches, to prevent arm chair logging. Not that it's ever been a huge problem, but I know some people have had issues with it.

That sort of idea has been done in the past but not uniformly (as far as I can tell). It was part of the ALR's- CO's would require the finder to email them with a code inside the cache to log the find.