lost maps(original) from 400t

In most instances I would say downloading a copy from the Internet is wrong but in this case I think it is justified. I hate sending stuff in because you seldom get the same unit back plus it is just an inconvenience to wait a week or two to get it back. Since you did technically pay for the topo maps I would just use someone else's disk or download it from one of a million places that host them. Garmins topo maps don't have to be unlocked so you should be ok to just install them.

In most instances I would say downloading a copy from the Internet is wrong but in this case I think it is justified. I hate sending stuff in because you seldom get the same unit back plus it is just an inconvenience to wait a week or two to get it back. Since you did technically pay for the topo maps I would just use someone else's disk or download it from one of a million places that host them. Garmins topo maps don't have to be unlocked so you should be ok to just install them.

She wants the original maps not those that are downloaded by disk. She does not want to keep adding and subtracting maps when she travels. I use the 2008 version and add/subtract my maps all the time(60cs), but she want the original back!!

My Sis has a garmin 400t and has lost all the original maps. She emailed Garmin and they told her to send in unit and they would send a REFURBISHED one back(You never know what you get). any out there have a solution other than say buying a mapsourse disk.

Did she load those maps on her PC in MapSource or Basecamp ?

If so, it should be a simple matter to re-load them back onto the 400t.

If it is registered in MYGARMIN, I wonder why garmin would not just supply a link to D/L the map or send her a DVD with the maps on it rather than making her send the unit back to them.

Edited by pratzert

My Sis has a garmin 400t and has lost all the original maps. She emailed Garmin and they told her to send in unit and they would send a REFURBISHED one back(You never know what you get). any out there have a solution other than say buying a mapsourse disk.

Did she load those maps on her PC in MapSource or Basecamp ?

If so, it should be a simple matter to re-load them back onto the 400t.

If it is registered in MYGARMIN, I wonder why garmin would not just supply a link to D/L the map or send her a DVD with the maps on it rather than making her send the unit back to them.

They dont want their secret voodoo map getting out is why. They use their magic to get the entire US in one file for those T maps, This is why if you load the 100k or 24k maps you cant get the entire US on there, its too big.

You will end up having to send the unit in unless you are pretty technical and willing to venture to some shady websites is the bottom line.

This is why you shoud back up your GPS. If you had backed it up, you could just restore the maps.

Do you know someone else with a 400T? If so, maybe they backed up the maps. If not, you could ask them to copy thier map to your GPS. I do not think this would violate a liscense since you already own the map.

This is why you shoud back up your GPS. If you had backed it up, you could just restore the maps.

Do you know someone else with a 400T? If so, maybe they backed up the maps. If not, you could ask them to copy thier map to your GPS. I do not think this would violate a liscense since you already own the map.

Does this work? I would be curious to see if it will let you restore from another units backup.

I do not think this would violate a liscense since you already own the map.

Technically you owned the copy that was on your GPS. Once you lost this, you lost what you owned. It doesn't give you the right to make another copy of it. But, in practice I think nobody would complain.