Seek-a-cache

Any tips on using the seek-a-cache feature? Specifically when trying to search by location.

For me it doesn't seem to recognise any locations, or even postcodes, that I enter. So I usually end up using the 'google map' feature.

Is there a technique to making it work?

works for me too.

Give us one of the postcodes that doesn't work for you so we can have a go.

No postcodes work. I tried M1 1AA, and that didn't work. I've never had a post code that worked.

I tried entering the address (say) "George Square, Glasgow" and that doesn't work either.

It'll usually take a minute or so and then say "A location for M1 1AA cannot be determined".

Edited by stiab3

works for me too.

Give us one of the postcodes that doesn't work for you so we can have a go.

No postcodes work. I tried M1 1AA, and that didn't work. I've never had a post code that worked.

I tried entering the address (say) "George Square, Glasgow" and that doesn't work either.

It'll usually take a minute or so and then say "A location for M1 1AA cannot be determined".

Strange... I put M1 1AA in seconds after posting to check it existed... most towns have a 1AA postcode... and that's normally enough.

Try SK13 1AA for Hadfield, Derbyshire.

That didn't work either. No postcode (or other address) has ever worked for me (even before the website update). . . not even my own.

Which is why I'm trying to figure out what I'm doing wrong. As it's a feature I'd like to use, rather than having to go to maps, then google maps etc.

That didn't work either. No postcode (or other address) has ever worked for me (even before the website update). . . not even my own.

Which is why I'm trying to figure out what I'm doing wrong. As it's a feature I'd like to use, rather than having to go to maps, then google maps etc.

I don't understand this... I even tried putting postcodes in the address field... and they still worked!

If it takes a minute to give you a reply, it may be a problem related to your browser.

That's interesting.

It works in Firefox, but not Opera.

Anyone else using Opera who can test this?

I could turn the Wii on... but I tend to get distracted!

Working in Safari on both iOS and OS X too!

I don't understand this... I even tried putting postcodes in the address field... and they still worked!

This is odd, I've tried all the above and they all work, I've also tried breaking it by putting the postcode in the address field, swapping 1 (one) for I (uppercase i), and I can't get it to return the error you're getting, it seems to handle my simulated 'fat fingers'.

The only things I can think of to try are:

log out of geocaching.com and try it, this might tell you if it's a problem with your GC account.

Try another browser, this might tell you if it's a browser problem (if so clear all your cookies and cache on the 'broken' browser and try again)

Try another PC, this might tell you if it's a problem with your PC.

Edit to add: Just seen you've gone for the try another browser option. I can try opera at home tonight but I would try clearing it's cache and cookies and see if it's still broken.

Edited by MartyBartfast

This is odd, I've tried all the above and they all work, I've also tried breaking it by putting the postcode in the address field, swapping 1 (one) for I (uppercase i), and I can't get it to return the error you're getting, it seems to handle my simulated 'fat fingers'.

The only things I can think of to try are:

log out of geocaching.com and try it, this might tell you if it's a problem with your GC account.

Try another browser, this might tell you if it's a browser problem (if so clear all your cookies and cache on the 'broken' browser and try again)

Try another PC, this might tell you if it's a problem with your PC.

Edit to add: Just seen you've gone for the try another browser option. I can try opera at home tonight but I would try clearing it's cache and cookies and see if it's still broken.

Empyting the cache doesn't work. I've had this problem from the first time I used the site (on both my work and home pcs), so I'm not surprised that emptying the cache has no effect.

It seems to be the browser.

Empyting the cache doesn't work. I've had this problem from the first time I used the site (on both my work and home pcs), so I'm not surprised that emptying the cache has no effect.

I've just tried it in Opera 11 and it works for me.

Which page and which search box are you trying specifically?

Philip

I've just tried it in Opera 11 and it works for me.

Which page and which search box are you trying specifically?

Philip

None of the pages work. Not the front page and not this one: http://www.geocaching.com/seek/default.aspx

I'm using the search box(es) in the pane entitled "Seek a Cache...

Locate the nearest geocaches in your area..."

Edited to add: This is Opera 11

Edited by stiab3

Just installed Opera 11.11 (on Windows at work) and it's working fine for me :rolleyes:

What happens if you paste

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/nearest.aspx?lat=53.4873621&lng=-2.2271966000000702&dist=100

into the address bar (it's the search for M1 1AA).

If I paste that, I can see the list of caches. . .

This is really bizarre. . .

It does sound odd, I've Just tried 11.10 (on Linux) at home and that's fine too. In the absence of any other idea I'd try uninstalling and reinstalling Opera (or just keep using firefox!).

Just installed Opera 11.11 (on Windows at work) and it's working fine for me :rolleyes:

What happens if you paste

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/nearest.aspx?lat=53.4873621&lng=-2.2271966000000702&dist=100

into the address bar (it's the search for M1 1AA).

If I paste that, I can see the list of caches. . .

This is really bizarre. . .

It does sound odd, I've Just tried 11.10 (on Linux) at home and that's fine too. In the absence of any other idea I'd try uninstalling and reinstalling Opera (or just keep using firefox!).

I'll try a re-install of Opera on the work PC since it works on Opera on my home pc too. Apparently that's where I tend to be when trying to use the feature.

Thanks for all your help.

s3