sending pockey querys to gps

Ok,we just bought the Garmin Oregon 450 and I've been trying to figure out if I can send a pockey query to the gps? I've tried several different ways and it doesn't work. I hate to have to hand select each cache and thought this would be easier but I just can't figure it out. URGH!! Any suggestions from an owner of the Oregon 450?? We are planning a trip next month to Hawaii and sure would love to load up this gps with caches listing the two islands seperately? Any help would much be appreciated. Thanks, cvfamily4

I don't know what you have tried yet, but this is how I do it...

I plug my Garmin Oregon into the computer using the USB. Then I open My Computer and there you see Garmin as a drive. I open that and then go to the folder Garmin>GPX...Then I open the folder where I have saved the gpx file and then I just copy-paste it into the folder on the Garmin.

I hope this is of any help! I just love using the pocket queries!

Good luck!

Ok,we just bought the Garmin Oregon 450 and I've been trying to figure out if I can send a pockey query to the gps? I've tried several different ways and it doesn't work. I hate to have to hand select each cache and thought this would be easier but I just can't figure it out. URGH!! Any suggestions from an owner of the Oregon 450?? We are planning a trip next month to Hawaii and sure would love to load up this gps with caches listing the two islands seperately? Any help would much be appreciated. Thanks, cvfamily4

Since your a PM you can get a PQ with up to 1000 caches in it. Then all you have to do is drag and drop the resulting .gpx files into the GPX fold on your device.

Drag and drop.....sorry I don't follow you....how do you even get the gpx. files I made the pockey query then I seleced all went to press down load waypoints then it asks dow you want to save or open files I trided both and nothing happens?? It also asked the location to save it and I picked Garmin 450 and still I can't find it on my oregon. Ok, thanks for your help but I'll have to ask my son who is better at this than me. sigh.... :(

After the PQ is run go to the query page and click on where it says PQ's ready to download. Then click on the pq you want downloaded to your computer. Hook up your GPS, open the zip file and drag and drop the two gpx file individually to the GPS and you are done.

You are doing a page at a time in the preview page for the PQ.

After the PQ is run go to the query page and click on where it says PQ's ready to download. Then click on the pq you want downloaded to your computer. Hook up your GPS, open the zip file and drag and drop the two gpx file individually to the GPS and you are done.

You are doing a page at a time in the preview page for the PQ.

Ok, one step closer.....saved the zip folder slid it into the garmin but now when I turn on the gps I can't find the file?? I went to geocaching, searched for caches and nothing? Thanks for getting me closer to feeling like I got to the next step :blink:

Ok, one step closer.....saved the zip folder slid it into the garmin but now when I turn on the gps I can't find the file?? I went to geocaching, searched for caches and nothing? Thanks for getting me closer to feeling like I got to the next step :blink:

Unzip the zip file.

You will get two files ****.gpx and ****wpts.gpx

Place both into the GPX folder on the Garmin.

Plug your device into your PC. Then go to My Computer and find the drive IDed as Garmin. That is your GPSr. Open it up and you'll see a Garmin folder there. Open that up and you will find the GPX folder. Take the files you got from downloading the PQ and unzipping it and drag them into that folder.

Plug your device into your PC. Then go to My Computer and find the drive IDed as Garmin. That is your GPSr. Open it up and you'll see a Garmin folder there. Open that up and you will find the GPX folder. Take the files you got from downloading the PQ and unzipping it and drag them into that folder.

Thanks for your details I got them in it but only by the gc code not the names but atleast they are in it. I'll work out the details some how. Least it's a start! phew! Sure is cool! Any way to make files like for instance can I make a file named the Big Island then put those caches in that file? Or do they all have to go in mixed together?

Thanks for your help!

Any way to make files like for instance can I make a file named the Big Island then put those caches in that file? Or do they all have to go in mixed together?

You can do separate pocket queries grouping your caches however you like. When you set up the pocket query, change the name of the query in the "Query Name" box at the top to what you want that PQ file to be named, such as "Big Island", to use your example. Then, at the bottom of the New Pocket Query screen, check-mark "Include Pocket Query name in download file name".

Ok, I figured out how to open the zip file and slide the file into the garmin BUT when I turn on my Garmnin click geocaches then I made two Quick Filters one named "Big Island" and "Maui" thinking when I slide in the two different pockey querys it would go into those filters but they all just went in all together. Can I seperate the two pocket querys or not? Thanks for your help.

Ok, I figured out how to open the zip file and slide the file into the garmin BUT when I turn on my Garmnin click geocaches then I made two Quick Filters one named "Big Island" and "Maui" thinking when I slide in the two different pockey querys it would go into those filters but they all just went in all together. Can I seperate the two pocket querys or not? Thanks for your help.

Sorry. I think I misunderstood what you were trying to do. Naming PQs works great for managing them in general, but once they are on the device, they won't help you filter. You can only filter by what you see on the filter screen.

Do you really need to filter by area, though? I wouldn't think that at any decent zoom level you would see caches on an adjacent island. Additionally, some Garmin units won't show caches in a list view that are greater than 50 (I think) miles from your current location.

Since the Garmin sorts by distance, I'm not sure why you'd want to split out the Maui and Big Island PQs.

Filters are usually used to hide certain cache types, sizes, or difficulties.

Ok, that makes since. So once I'm on one island just go t the map and start navigating from cache to cache. Ok, that makes since now. I just thought it would be more organized if I just had a folder I clicked on named Maui then all those caches pop up but samthing with the map. Now once the PQ is inserted and I forgot to add one can I just manually from the cache page send it over or will it delete the PQ I have already in it? I have inserted to different PQ's and they didn't over write each other but I think I read that if I manually it will over write the PQ's and just put in the new one? I'll have to try it. thanks everyone for your support I really appreciate it!